Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Adventures of BAD TUB, and a need for advice..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Frank Jr, AKA BAD TUB.....

So last night got the VW Type I, 2.2 turbo charged and fuel injected motor in last night. Fired it up and it seized after 5 seconds. CRAP....

Let it and my temper cool over night.....

Next day, pulled the plugs, pulled the oil drain.....no shavings.....cranked and rest, crank and rest....put the plugs back in and it went V R O O O OM......

Clacking on passenger side....pulled valve covers and the valves look WAY loose....engine is warm....what numbers should I use?

Been awhile since I did a Type I.....any suggestions?
pek771
Mike:
The type I engines were factory spec at .004 inlet and .006 exhaust. That was without the 911 type elephant feet on the rockers. The turbo engines we used to build liked a bit more clearance, as the inlet mix was hotter. Try .006 in and .007 ex, and check when it's warmed up. You should have a little smidge of clearance when it's hot.

You already know ticking is good, and quiet is bad...

Pat
rick 918-S
can't help with that one, confused24.gif but I just wanted to say, COOL! aktion035.gif Hope it's nothing serious. ohmy.gif
Joe Bob
Put a fan on it for 1/2 hour.....was cool to the touch...adjusted them all the same @ .006 and it runs MUCH smoother. If I don't blow the MOFO up in the next 50-75 miles I'll do the valves again....
Aaron Cox
what pushrods? they dictate what lash to run..

(cromo vs AL)
Joe Bob
All better....burns rubber in 1st and chirps in 2nd with out trying.....

Now to get the CHT, EGT and other gauges in and hooked up. Then to CHP for VIN verification.....BAR for base line smog...even though it's exempt, they wanna baseline on the 500 exemptions they give for home builts each year.... then off to the headlight and brake light test station and THEN....PLATES.......

Last but not least, dyno time.....gonna use some reosurces here that I met at the usedtabe Dunkel's meet....
Joe Bob
Frank and BAD TUB get to sleep together tonight.....

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Aaron Cox
frank on top.. atta boy tongue.gif

mike... post pics of manfred cable op'd throttle linkage in anudda thread...... a few peeps were asking for it...

sorry for der hijack.....
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (pek771 @ Mar 5 2006, 02:59 PM)
Mike:
The type I engines were factory spec at .004 inlet and .006 exhaust. That was without the 911 type elephant feet on the rockers. The turbo engines we used to build liked a bit more clearance, as the inlet mix was hotter. Try .006 in and .007 ex, and check when it's warmed up. You should have a little smidge of clearance when it's hot.

You already know ticking is good, and quiet is bad...

Pat

That would be .006" and .006". No .004" in there. The Cap.n
Joe Bob
Here ya go....I actually purchased and planned on installing a RootWerks bell crank linkage, but when Manfred sold I forgot about it in my tool box.

The boogie rigged link worked pretty well.....standard 914/4 throttle cable with a welded bracket mounted to the coil bracket.....ain't pretty but funtional.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.