Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering wheel questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joeav8tor
hi guys,
I am going to remove my steering wheel, which wat do I turn the horn button to remove it, and what size socket is needed to remove the nut...
thanks
joe
Tobra
Turn button part clock wise while holding wheel steady, there is a wire that plugs into this part, so unplug it when you get button loose. Pretty big nut, more than 21mm I think.
joeav8tor
thanks for the reply, anyone else know the socket size for sure...thanks
Joe
robby750
27mm
joeav8tor
thanks
joeav8tor
if anyone is interested, the horn button gets turned counter clock wise to remove it, I almost tore it off turning it clockwise...just for future reference.
Joe
cooltimes
You can also use a 1 1/16" socket to remove the large nut. Note the position of the horn button wire connector tang that you disconnect when removing the horn button. That is the same steering wheel position it should be located when sitting steering wheel back unto the splined shaft when reinstalled. Don't forget the rubber cover that fits over the 1 1/16" nut when reinstalling. If you are also removing the wiper and directional signal assembly handle it very carefully or you will break it.

Cooltimes
914fan
THREAD HIJACK

Are the steering wheels of 914 4s interchangeable? I have a 73 and need a new wheel. Itired or the wheel rubber pieces comming off on my hands. hijacked.gif
cooltimes
I am almost certain you can use all years steering wheels on the splined column shaft...but beyond that no all year cross related changeouts such as the ignition switch portion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.