Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement alternator?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swood
Got the new starter from FLAPS, thanks to Brads note about referencing the automatic fastback and bus. How about the alternator? Is there a similar replacement that doesn't cost a fortune?

Might as well since I'm there...
Brad Roberts
411/412 from the early 70's and the type 4 powered buses (73-76 ??) I dont recall the exact years that the buses had Type 4's in them.

Should be around 40-60$ for a alternator.

B
Part Pricer
Does this look right?

$71.16 + $30 core for a rebuilt 55amp Bosch alternator

IPB Image
tat2dphreak
cheap one on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2431319156
swood
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Sep 8 2003, 07:59 AM)

"vintage alternator", but that's what I have now and want a NEW one. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Thanks B. Did you call Web yet?
Brad Roberts
I wasnt sure if Sean was going to call or not.

Paul...

Can I call you today ??

B
Part Pricer
Yep. I'm home.

You've got my cell. I'll send my home number in a PM.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(swood @ Sep 8 2003, 11:06 AM)

"vintage alternator", but that's what I have now and want a NEW one. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Thanks B. Did you call Web yet?

LOL,

in the description... it's been rebuilt...
914werke
OE is 55 Amps correct?
Why cant a larger output Alt be put in...90Amps w00t.gif
Up here in Pacific NW we have plenty of opertunity to have our lights, radio and wipers going. I can watch my volts dip every time I flip on my turn signal!
Berfor everyone jump on me I HAVE gone through to clean all the grounnds and run a new optima battery?
kafermeister
Wasn't there a GM alternator conversion that was a somewhat straight forward?

The newer style GM alternators are smaller than previous and I think, would make a great conversion alternator at 90+ amps.

Rick
kafermeister
Yep

That's the one, Thanks!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 8 2003, 11:57 AM)
Why cant a larger output Alt be put in...90Amps w00t.gif
Up here in Pacific NW we have plenty of opertunity to have our lights, radio and wipers going. I can watch my volts dip every time I flip on my turn signal!

It could be, but why? Running the higher-capacity alternator requires more power from the engine. That is power that cannot go to pushing the car forward.

And even with a zillion-watt alternator, your voltmeter will still dip when you turn on the lights or the turn signals. It's a function of where the voltmeter is in the car's circuitry.

A 90A alternator is simply not needed unless you are running quad "super oscar" rally lights, or a major boom-boom stereo. 55A will do quite well for any reasonable electrical demands on the car.

WRT the GM alternator, it will be interesting to see how long it lives tucked up next to the 914 motor. If a long time, then we have a cheap source of alternators (as long as we're willing to do a little modification). If not, well....

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.