Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Horsepower
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malaga_red75
Hey guys. This is my first post and I was hoping some of you guys could help me out. I have a 75 1.8 914 and obvoiusly with only 73 hp, I could use some more. I was wondering what things i could do to get some more horses out of it. I would prefer not to do a conversion as I am on a budget, but any ideas would be great!
anthony
Unfortunately, there isn't much you can really do. sad.gif

The cheapest thing is a free flowing exhuast. Heat exchangers from a 73-74 2L engine and a new exhuast will free up some hp.

Mostly everything else requires tearing into the engine and bringing lots of money.

alpha434
Someone told me that there where 25 different releases of the L-jet. And that The best version made a LOT more than 73 hp.

I'm stuck with a 75 L too. And I outrun 1.7s pretty easy. Played with a 2.0 once too. But he said that his car "wasn't working properly" when I nailed hi on a straight. I think I've got pics. One of our guys got arrested that day....
Mueller
QUOTE (anthony @ Mar 6 2006, 12:16 AM)
Unfortunately, there isn't much you can really do. sad.gif

The cheapest thing is a free flowing exhuast. Heat exchangers from a 73-74 2L engine and a new exhuast will free up some hp.

Mostly everything else requires tearing into the engine and bringing lots of money.

agree.gif

yep, Anthony is correct (and alpha is drinking his CNC coolant again, wacko.gif 25 different versions of L=jet for the 914??? screwy.gif )

The biggest problem with backdating to the earlier exhaust is the chance to break or strip a head exhaust stud...very painful experiance and can get very expensive headbang.gif (my last broken exhaust stud cost my wife $30K, of course I got a 911 out of the deal smile.gif )

Are you sure your car is running in tip top shape with a proper tune up? Any vac. leaks? I fab'd "plugs" to go into the air intake boot and ran a "puke" can for the crankcase vent., car ran great !!!!

SirAndy
QUOTE (malaga_red75 @ Mar 5 2006, 10:01 PM)
Need Horsepower

here's one more horse you can add ... dead horse.gif

agree.gif with all the above (except alpha biggrin.gif ) ...

better flowing headers + exhaust will help some. not much you can do on the intake side without braking the motor open ...

what exactly do you mean by "I am on a budget"? throw us a number ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
Brando
for less than $500 you can keep your stock injection and heads, throw some 96mm Pistons and Cylinders under there. a 1911 with L-Jet and some bumped compression should make an even 95 or 100 with the early 2.0 headers as mentioned. Go for SSIs and a bursch exhaust. Should keep you under a grand if you don't mind pulling the engine.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Brando @ Mar 6 2006, 12:35 AM)
for less than $500 you can keep your stock injection and heads, throw some 96mm Pistons and Cylinders under there. a 1911 with L-Jet and some bumped compression should make an even 95 or 100 with the early 2.0 headers as mentioned. Go for SSIs and a bursch exhaust. Should keep you under a grand if you don't mind pulling the engine.

Maybe 90hp if you do a cam change too say the Raby 9950 with lifters. 96mm isn't gonna make 100hp or atleast I haven't ever seen a dyno sheet to make it a fact. The heads also limit the hp.

So to make so hp on a 1.8l

Switch to 96mm pistons and cylinders ( they are special ones to fit the 66mm stroke)
Switch out the cam and lifters to a Raby 9550 cam with lifters ( oil temps will go down)
alpha434
Ok then. Who here knows the cam specs for 1.8?

You can port and polish the heads too. That's a VERY cheap upgrade if you do it yourself. Real easy horsepower if you take out enough material.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 6 2006, 08:32 AM)

You can port and polish the heads too. That's a VERY cheap upgrade if you do it yourself. Real easy horsepower if you take out enough material.

Thats not going to make much of a difference if you still are using the stock cam. Polishing the ports does jack as the injectors are pointing right at the valve. You can also destroy the heads pretty quickly if you do it yourself!

Better Airflow is achieved by a BETTER cam as the stock cam is very mild (same as the Djet cam) and set up for quick warm ups and running fairly hot for emissons.
The 1.8heads are ok valve size wise but the spark plug location is better on the 2.0l heads.

Raise the compression ratio to 8 to one with the 96mm's
anthony
For me there are too many "while you are theres" in just fitting new P&Cs. And how much hp do you get out of 96mm P&Cs with no other changes? Like 5hp? 10hp max?

Once you tear it all down it will be a shame not to have the heads refreshed. You'll probably find cracks or strip a stud which will mean sending the heads out anyway. You'll probably find that you want a new clutch ($500). The flywheel may have seen better days ($300). DWD sets in and two years and $3,000 later you've powdercoated and polished the engine compartment and rebuilt half the engine for a 10hp improvement. :-)

If I was going to put $1000 or $2000 into a 914-4 that was running good I'd first work on the suspension. With some good shocks (Konis or Bilsteins), a 19mm sway bar up front, 140lbs rear springs, and maybe turbo tie rods you will have a car that rides on rails. It may be underpowered but you can go fast in and out of turns.

After that if you really want more hp I'd consider the following order:

1911 top end upgrade (96mm P&Cs) $1500
2056 kit $3000
2270 kit $5000
six conversion $6000-7000+

Bleyseng
find a good used 2.0l and drop it in, now thats the cheapest hp increase for about $800-1200
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 5 2006, 11:28 PM)
Someone told me that there where 25 different releases of the L-jet. And that The best version made a LOT more than 73 hp.

I'm stuck with a 75 L too. And I outrun 1.7s pretty easy. Played with a 2.0 once too. But he said that his car "wasn't working properly" when I nailed hi on a straight. I think I've got pics. One of our guys got arrested that day....

25? True, if you count the Jaguar XJ6, the 280/300 ZX, and a buncha other cars. They have more power. Of course, SOME of that power comes from larger displacement and stuff like that. The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 6 2006, 08:32 AM)

Jake will probably agree with me that we've seen a LOT of home port & polish jobs that actually resulted in LESS HP. The Cap'n
Jake Raby
The Capn is exactly right...

If you can't afford a professional (that knows ONLY TIV heads) leave the ports alone.

Altering ports has the capability of altering port margins which can easily result in an engine that runs like crap, is untunable and rins hot.

Do it right, or leave it alone.
newto914s
hijacked.gif
Bleyseng you've recommended the Raby 9950 Cam twice in two days. What's so special about this cam. Its identical to a stock D-jet cam right? I was always under the impression only a stock cam will work right with D-jet confused24.gif
OK, hijack over
welcome.png malaga_red75. My car was once Malaga Red too, and will be again one day. Post some pics of your car
Samson
bd1308
No, the 9950 is a cam "optimized" and warmer than the stock cam IIRC.

b
Andyrew
Um...

A turbo?

Many guys do it on the cheap.. Do it for 500 bucks if you got the skills... Blow the engine? get another $500 engine!

Repeat if neccisary! biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE (newto914s @ Mar 6 2006, 01:12 PM)
hijacked.gif
Bleyseng you've recommended the Raby 9950 Cam twice in two days. What's so special about this cam. Its identical to a stock D-jet cam right? I was always under the impression only a stock cam will work right with D-jet confused24.gif
OK, hijack over
welcome.png malaga_red75. My car was once Malaga Red too, and will be again one day. Post some pics of your car
Samson

Its a different grind that produces more hp and less oil temps. I think its upto Jake to state the grind specs online as its his produce. I will say I noticed a real seat of the pants difference from the stock cam as I just got my 2056 running again after replacing the cam in it.

I also have installed one in the 1.7L engine that I am working on for Blairs 914.

I finally got mine to idle right this weekend but that was due to other problems. Runs great with nice torque in the low revs and power seems to peak at 5000 rpms and revs easily to 6500.
newto914s
So it's a cam that idles and runs smoothly with stock Fuel Injection, but gives you a little more power and cooler temps. Oh, and a few more revs. Sounds to good to be true idea.gif
Jake Raby
hijacked.gif
OK, hijack over
Samson

Whats special about the 9550 cam is that it was designed specifically for stock FI optimization for engines up to 2056cc.

It has a very mild intake ramp and adds a bit of exhaust duration to balance out the equation and provide a broader power range.

This cam is perhaps the most effective cam I have ever designed and it sells 6 times more than any of my other grinds!

People have fallen in love with this cam profile.
brant
I'll throw in my 2cents...

I don't think the original poster wanted to rebuild his motor...

so I'll agree with the tune up suggestion and then spend the last 400 on a set of 50series tires.

the lower profile will give you lower gearing and quicker seat of the pants acceleration...

If you have any extra money left over spend it on suspension items.

brant
grantsfo
First off make sure everything related to FI including injectors are working correctly. Headers will free up a suprizing amount of hp in the 1.8 if youre willing to give up heat. Shedding rotational weight helps a lot too. Lightened flywheel will help the engine. My 914 that is currently being converted to a six was just a well tuned stock 1.8 with headers and it was suprizingly fast.

Dont forget that while the engine was only rated at 76 hp it made impressive torque. Giving the 1.8 breathing room makes all the differnce in the world.
newto914s
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 6 2006, 03:31 PM)

36-24-36 and a cute face, sounds like love to me.

Jake, do you have any output graphs of that cam in a 2.0?
Jake Raby
sure, email the mad scientist.
productdevelopment@aircooledtechnology.com
malaga_red75
Thanks alot for all the input! I already have a bursch exhaust on it but I am looking for some headers. Can you guys give me a brand and maybe a website that sells them. I am willing to spend around 1000 or maybe a little more, but maybe some headers and suspension will be just what i need. My picture files are too large to put in here, I will take some more pictures tomorrow with my new rims that came today!!!!! 15x5.5 reproduction fuchs black/silver from American Eagle. keep the ideas coming. Also any more info on the turbo system?

-Peter
jd74914
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 6 2006, 06:31 PM)
hijacked.gif
OK, hijack over
Samson

Whats special about the 9550 cam is that it was designed specifically for stock FI optimization for engines up to 2056cc.

It has a very mild intake ramp and adds a bit of exhaust duration to balance out the equation and provide a broader power range.

This cam is perhaps the most effective cam I have ever designed and it sells 6 times more than any of my other grinds!

Is the 9550 for DJet? What would you recomend as an upgrade cam for a 1.8 with Ljet?
Bleyseng
The 9550.....I am putting one in my Westy for Christsake! Its got the Midastouch.

Jake, can I get a $1 for every time I recommend this cam?

I gots to get the local guys to drive my car so they can chime in.......Maybe DaveHunt and KevinP.

Suspension tricks? Buy a set of Koni Yellows and then go AXing in stock class and whipass.

av-943.gif
jd74914
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 6 2006, 09:56 PM)
The 9550.....I am putting one in my Westy for Christsake! Its got the Midastouch.

I gots to get the local guys to drive my car so they can chime in.......Maybe DaveHunt and KevinP.

av-943.gif

just makin sure before i pull the trigger wink.gif
Bleyseng
Buy the cam and the lifters from Jake. Noshit, its the real deal. popcorn[1].gif
jd74914
Thats the plan. Maybe some 96s as well
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (malaga_red75 @ Mar 6 2006, 06:27 PM)
...I am looking for some headers. Can you guys give me a brand and maybe a website that sells them. I am willing to spend around 1000 or maybe a little more...

I know of four sources of headers that "work".

First, and cheapest, is http://www.kerryhunterenterprise.com

The next two seem to be "around" equivalent in performance and in price to each other. Better and more expensive than the KH ones. European Racing (no website that I know of, but the phone number has been posted on this forum before) and Triad West Performance. http://www.triadwestperformance.com/

Finally, the best--and most expensive--system is from Racer Chris over at Tangerine Racing. http://www.tangerineracing.com

None of them are overly cheap.

--DD
malaga_red75
On the mufflers, I already bought a bursch muffler not that long ago, and would want to keep it as i dont want to waste 200 bucks. Is there any header systems that are still applicable to the 'stock' exhaust mounts, or do I have to get a whole new set up. ALso- how do I get large pictures up here. My pictures are all larger than the allotted 300,000 bytes.
-Peter
Bleyseng
if ya got XP, open the pic and right click and see the "resize", click on that and pick small. Then back to the BBS and reply and hit the "Browse" button to find your smaller pic.
malaga_red75
when i right click i am not given that option. what are u opening the picture in?
Bleyseng
no program, just XP's default pic viewer.
you can resize in Photoshop Elements, Infanviewer etc .... popcorn[1].gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (malaga_red75 @ Mar 6 2006, 08:19 PM)
Is there any header systems that are still applicable to the 'stock' exhaust mounts...

Nope! The real header systems replace everything, and are not compatible with stock-replacement mufflers.

--DD
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 6 2006, 06:56 PM)

Suspension tricks? Buy a set of Koni Yellows and then go AXing in stock class and whipass.

av-943.gif

Cam is a "not equal to stock class rules" No matter who makes it cept for VW/Porsche. STOCK cam
Raby cam ???? Welcome to Street mod 2 hope your heavy enough. 2100 pounds = fat pig of a teener.
Bleyseng
Yeah, but who can tell if you are running the stock FI.

If he wants suspension upgrades the Yellow Konis is the place to start instead of sway bars, Tbars etc as you can run (here atleast) in stock class with any shock. Drive the 1.8L with yellows in Stock class and learn how to drive.
Then get a higher hp motor.

Don't do what JP did. Buy and high hp motor and then try to learn to drive it. wacko.gif
Jake Raby
OR just cheat like the competetitors!
Joe Ricard
I usually run tech at our regional events. If I suspect anything I can usually sucker in the proud owner to bragging about his motor. biggrin.gif
" Oh really" what else did you do? cool, yea I wanna get something like that. Cam? some port work in the heads really ?
WELCOME TO STREET MOD Next car please..... mueba.gif
Bleyseng
Shoot, our tech guys just check to make sure the battery don't fly out, the wheel bearings aren't too loose and ya got 4 tires with air in them. biggrin.gif
malaga_red75
THanks alot for the suggestions, I let my mind run wild last night and was wondering if anyone had done a 914-6 conversion but to a newer 6 cylinder. Im talking like a 2000 or late 90's 6 cylinder. I think that would be a way to get great HP without the V8.
McMark
We've got about 4 3.6 conversions going right now on this site. wink.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (malaga_red75 @ Mar 7 2006, 10:36 PM)
THanks alot for the suggestions, I let my mind run wild last night and was wondering if anyone had done a 914-6 conversion but to a newer 6 cylinder. Im talking like a 2000 or late 90's 6 cylinder. I think that would be a way to get great HP without the V8.

the mid to late '90's motors are great....figure $7,000 just for the engine....then add a few more grand to install it (parts only, not including labor)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.