Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone put 18 inch wheels on a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
Like to know if anyone has gotten 18inch wheels and tires on a 914. Also what size tires and back spacing did you need to use?

Thanks
Aaron Cox
why would backspacing and offset change with wheel DIAMETER???

17's look out of place IMHO....

the magic number is 110-120MM backspace.........to clear trailing arm....
wbergtho
1996 Twin Turbo hollow spokes:
Dr. Roger
ignore the purists!!!

put 20's on if you want!

BTW it's pretty tough to get 18's without flares....

explain your thoughts....

skinny 18's will fit without flares but who'd want to do that?
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 5 2006, 11:32 PM)
the magic number is 110-120MM backspace.........to clear trailing arm....

that's what i'm doing and i have similar twin turbo hollow spokes 18X8" and 11"s...

if you use the new wheels you need to use spacers as the offsets are, well,,,,,, off.

unless u space the wheels out to meet your flares....

Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 5 2006, 11:32 PM)
17's look out of place IMHO....

agree.gif

if I ever smack a pothole hard enough to ruin my 17" Revolutions, I'll be going back to 15" or 16" rims....(and go back to 4x100 bolt pattern since I've worked out the problems I had last time smash.gif )
Andyrew
Lemme see if I got a pic..

18's on the back, 17's on the front. those are 265's on 10's.. soon to be 285's. 255's on 8.5's are on the front.

The flares make it look ok. Stock bodied car it would definately look out of place...

spacing... 2in spacing in the back.. 1.5in in the front.

also I echo what roger says..

If you want to put DUBS on your ride... DO IT!
marks914
18s look good but 17x7is all I could fit under my stock fenders. 205 50 17 rubber should be planty for just about any pothole.

Mark

d914
17's

depending on the back spacing, I used 35 mm spacers with these. The giggest issue is can you get low enough not to look 4-wheel drive. Otherwise if you need or want big rubber, over 225, you need to go to bigger rims..

RON S.
18's Rock,

What else can be said.

Ron
davesprinkle
Drag-race chute? Love your optimism!

nomore9one4
All those wheels look good on the 914's. rolleyes.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (davesprinkle @ Mar 6 2006, 08:29 AM)

av-943.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 6 2006, 08:48 AM)
Drag-race chute?  Love your optimism!

av-943.gif

I have one of those too. I put my arm out the window and I come to a complete stop! w00t.gif
spare time toys
I like 18s on the rear and 17s on the front. Just the turbo twists go in opposite directions from 17 to 18s
Dr. Roger
i know andyrew's car has balls but "damn"...

it even has it's own jock strap???? huh.gif biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
17" fuchs look cool. wub.gif
turboman808
car has rear flares but not in the front. I have no problem rolling the fenders to get an extra inch if need be. And I love how rolled fenders look anyways.

Honestly I would rather use 17s but I didn't find anything I liked in 17. I want something in black and not the fuchs wheels.
Andyrew

lol

no that car can only get into the 11's...

Its a headrest leather, put it on so I could take a pic w/ the flash earlyer the day before.. (license plate flash kills photos)
Andyrew
"rolling an extra inch" will get you 205's under your car.. Maybe 215's or 225's if your lucky, but 225's are a stretch, and are only for the cars that the factory gave a little bit more of clearance accidentily...

7's are the largest rim you can fit on the rear without flared fenders.

oh... 18x7's look silly IMHO

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 6 2006, 11:32 AM)
"rolling an extra inch" will get you 205's under your car.. Maybe 215's or 225's if your lucky, but 225's are a stretch, and are only for the cars that the factory gave a little bit more of clearance accidentily...

ehhhh wrong...

6's will fit on MOST without molesting fender at all.

all but 911 7R rims require stretching to fit a 205 on a 7 in the rear....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 6 2006, 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 6 2006, 11:32 AM)

ehhhh wrong...

6's will fit on MOST without molesting fender at all.

all but 911 7R rims require stretching to fit a 205 on a 7 in the rear....

7's and 205's fit fine up front... (front track is around 1 inch narrower per side IIRC)

rears take a nice stretch to fit 225's... on 7's and a 2" stretch to fit 8's.....
Andyrew
AAAron.

I know that. and im talking about "largest" here..

Theres like a hair over 7in of clearance between the inner and outer fender wells..

and he said "rolling the fenders an extra inch"

I got 225's on mine by "rolling the fenders"

It almost fit.
turboman808
thos hollow tube wheels look like a good choice and are pretty darn cheap on ebay. If I can get it on the front without resorting to flares I would like to do that. Think it's possible? Car has rear flares so I got to imagine I won't have a problem.

Got to admit 18x8 sounds huge HAHA
Andyrew
You got pics?

measurements? inside wheel well to outside wheel well.

You'll be able to figure out what size wheels and tires you can run from that.
turboman808
That's the hard part I don't have the car yet but want to get parts for it already HAHA
Autox starts in 3 weeks. I will race my civic but it's working as my daily driver now. Because everyone needs a front drive with 300hp to get to work.

But yeah I am just planning out in advance. laugh.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (turboman808 @ Mar 6 2006, 06:03 PM)
That's the hard part I don't have the car yet but want to get parts for it already HAHA
Autox starts in 3 weeks. I will race my civic but it's working as my daily driver now. Because everyone needs a front drive with 300hp to get to work.

But yeah I am just planning out in advance. laugh.gif

got pictures of the car??

I've run 16x8's (23mm offset) under my front fenders with 225's (depending on the OD of the tire, you might hit the front bottom lip of the fender which will need a slight tweak, nothing major at all)

Andyrew
2 posts up mike, just asked him that.. your quote was his response laugh.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.