Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caliper piston has a chipped face
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaiden
So every step of my front end rebuild has been a challenge.
I started cleaning my calipers so I could throw a coat of paint on them and I noticed that one of the piston faces has a big chip out of it. I'll try to take pics tonight. Can this be reused as long as the sealing surface is ok? Or should I just replace it.

IF I need to replace it where can I get a piston? I checked pelican and no go. I have the rebuild kits comingbut I could not find pistons or even caliper springs and pins on there site where can I get this stuff.

Thanks again!!
davep
Generally this should not be a problem. Check for cracks though. I'd really like to see some close-up pictures to be sure.
Jaiden
Any thoughts on where to find replacements?
fin
Ask someone that has upgraded to BMW calipers for their old ones.

Got to be plenty laying around for the asking.

Fin
Jaiden
Anyone got some caliper pistons? Just in case there is a crack in one of my pistons?

Eric_Shea
You should be fine. I take it you're talking about your front calipers.

What happens is... there's a round ring that contacts the pad, below that there's a groove that the dust boot fits in. The groove is fairly close once they notch out the 20 deg. notch for the positioner. With the groove that close, that area is thin and when the PO or shop went to rebuild the caliper, they blew it out (probably the PO) not nowing the force it comes out with and not protecting it. It flew out of the bore and struck the opposite piston and chipped that face. 99.9999999999999999999999% of the time there is no problem with the piston.

If you're rebuilding it you'll get a new dust seal and a new positioner. The positioner will cover the chip and if you delete this thread... nobody will ever know it's there (except me, and Dave and Fin) biggrin.gif
Mueller
your a-arm can shipout today....I was too lazy in the shop last night and didn't feel like removeing the ball joint and bushings from the arm i was going to send you originally so you are getting a bare a-arm fully sandblasted that i was going to use on my car......, you just need to paint it and install the bushings and new ball joints.....
Jaiden
Mueller,
I bow to your generosity. I will now be forced to sandblast and paint the rest of the pieces so as not to dishonor this gesture!

Really. Thanks so much this goes far beyond.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.