Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hauling race tires to AutoX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
I've searched the old posts, but can't seem to find a solution for a bolt on and tie down luggage/ tire rack.

Maybe 4 tires are simply heaver than what will sit on the trunk without bending the metal?

A trailer has always seem the easiest way to go, but hoping there might be a new rack solution out there.

Thanks.

Joe Ricard
My last event my sone rode with me.
SoI put four 225/45-15 Hoosiers on edge in the rear trunk. Yea the lid stuck up a bit and reduced the rear view of the road. But it did not damage anything. Highest speed was near 110 when beating the tar out of Barry's car.
grantsfo
I wonder if tire tail would work?

http://www.izoomgraphics.com/index.php?mai...e=index&cPath=4

Probably tough to fab a trailer hitch that could hold all that weight.

user posted image
fiid
I wondered if there's a way to get a light tow-hitch style solution on the rear - with an exposed box section and pin.

Then a tire rack can be fabbed up to hook in there - I also want to have a bike rack for my car.

Where would be the best pickup points on the chassis to do this?

(This is the style of bike rack I had in mind: http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=33)
(For tyres - I'd think youd want a diagonal bar up and back with a 2" threaded tube mounted crossways - you'd just stick the tires on and a couple of 2" wingnuts tightened over the centers and bingo)

fiid
the tire-tail is exactly what I'm talking about. biggrin.gif

Only problem is where to get a hitch....
Randal

That is perfect!

Now (like fiid says) I need to find someone that builds a receiver hitch for a Boxer which this student drives.

And the hitch has to be rated for at least 200lbs tongue weight.

Thanks.
fiid
anyone know where to get a hitch for a 914? Or should I head down to the metal store and get some 2" box and some more welding gas?

Aaron Cox
i always thought having a cool extra targa top with a rack and reinforcement would be cool. get to the AX, take off the tires... take off teh top... put the good targa (that was in the trunk) on and go to town!
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (fiid @ Mar 6 2006, 11:52 AM)
anyone know where to get a hitch for a 914? Or should I head down to the metal store and get some 2" box and some more welding gas?

Like this cool_shades.gif
fiid
This guy sells something which doesn't quite work for the Boxster....

http://www.willwoodsystem.com/

GaroldShaffer
fiid
itsa914 - that looks cool... do you have any more pictures (like of the underside?)

DanT
Randal,
do a search on www.babblers.org there have been several threads about hitches and such for Boxsters. There was a hitch that had several adaptors for just such a set up. It was a reciever type of set up.

Edit...that was it willwood.

biggrin.gif wink.gif
GaroldShaffer
#3 smile.gif

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (fiid @ Mar 6 2006, 11:57 AM)
itsa914 - that looks cool... do you have any more pictures (like of the underside?)

No underside pictures. I will try and take a few later today if I can.
fiid
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Mar 6 2006, 12:03 PM)
QUOTE (fiid @ Mar 6 2006, 11:57 AM)

No underside pictures. I will try and take a few later today if I can.

No worries - looks like the whole "structure" is in the rear trunk. That doesn't look too hard to reproduce.

GaroldShaffer
one more for ya.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Mar 6 2006, 11:24 AM)

http://www.izoomgraphics.com/index.php?mai...e=index&cPath=4

user posted image

With the tires on the rack it looks it would block the tail lights? confused24.gif
Mueller
please no laughing at my "drawing" (too lazy to fire up the CAD program)

if you don't mind blocking the view out of the rear window, it seems like a mount system that can be bolted into the engine compartment would work....sure you'd have to drive with the engine lid up to clear the mount, but I don't see that as a big issue.....

it could be made to connect/disconnect with few or possibly no tools at all.......

Randal
please no laughing at my "drawing" (too lazy to fire up the CAD program)

I'd say pretty good for a guy working on no sleep for a week.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Mar 6 2006, 01:24 PM)

[URL=http://www.izoomgraphics.com/index.php?

Grant - I know Sean Grubbs, the owner of iZoom Graphics. He makes a real quality product. I'll ask him if he's done any for 914s. If he has, maybe we can find out what the user fabricated for his teener.

Sean also happens to be one of the most talented AX drivers around.

Aaron Cox
i like the roof idea smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.