Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 front end => 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
will a 911 front end bolt directly to a 914 tub including the aluminum crossmember? What is the best year to look for, 78-83 SC type or 84-89 carrera type?

thanks,
david
redshift
Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

M
machina
thanks red,

Isn't 87 same as any 84-89?

dr
Mike D.
Dave, I'm going to glob on to your thread with another Question.

Are the early 911 and 914 A arms the same? Are the torsion bar splines the same?

-Mike D.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Sep 8 2003, 11:34 AM)
Are the early 911 and 914 A arms the same? Are the torsion bar splines the same?

no; no.
redshift
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Sep 8 2003, 03:30 PM)
thanks red,

Isn't 87 same as any 84-89?

dr

Honestly, there is a break point in features, I can't remember when they end, or when they begin, I just remember 87 has the stuff that makes sense.

Brakes are different pre 84 I think, they changed to aluminum crossmember.. I think that may actually be 87, but I stopped caring about 911s a long time ago.

That is why I was not more descriptive before. smile.gif

Pseudo-Expert.. he knows it all, but it may not be at all what you think!

(this fall... on nbc)

I base my knowledge on feel. It feels like 1987, I worked a bunch in the last 80 hours that I haven't slept in much.

M
machina
mike,

the splines are different for 914 and 911.

david
914werke
But... that dosnt preclude you from using the 914 a-arms with the 911 Alum. cross member as the torsion bars/spline issue isnt a factor.
VegasRacer
I don't know about all the different years.
I can tell you that an 85 Carrera front end works great. smash.gif
brant
David,

the best year to look for is the one with the brakes/shocks that you want. They all work (well maybe not the hydro-pnuematics or the1965's)

The aluminum crossmember started in 78, but can be added to any (early or late) set up.

The carrera brakes take a different rotor and pad, but I think take the same actual caliper.

The S struts are 3.5 inch caliper spacing also and started around 71....

When contemplating different A-arms, remember to factor in which style of anti-roll bar you want. (underneath or through body)

brant
Jeroen
Both SC (78-83) and Carrera (84-89) have the alum. xmember
The Carrera has slightly thicker rotors. The brake calipers are the same as the SC (except they are spaced for the thicker rotors)

So, if you can choose, go for the Carrera front end... (because of the brakes)

cheers,

Jeroen
redshift
78, 87... what's the difference!?

Dyslexia, hairy nether regions, and many, many intoxicated excursions.

laugh.gif

M
Brad Roberts
David.. check your rules before you buy. I *think* you are limited to what was sold on the 9146 (911T) which is 3 inch bolt spacing 911 early stuff.

And... AND.. Something nobody seams to recall.. Your current shocks will not work in anything SC and up. You will have to buy new shocks or get a Koni adapter (I dont know what you currently have in place) Your shocks will bolt into the early stuff.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.