Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Does anyone know where I can find a fuel filter with 9mm in and 7.5mm out for injection?

I have a '72 with carbs i'm converting to megasquirt.

The stock filter location is before the pump right? The fuel pump has 3 7.5mm connections, correct?

I'm in the process of replacing my fuel lines. The feed is 3/8" and the return is 5/16". I already have a 3/8" filter I bought from summit, what's the best way to get it down to 5/16"?

I've searched and searched... I don't know of any local VW shops around here.
Someone on here mentioned the bosch box style fuel filters can leak after time. Is this common?

Thanks
Tobra
Pretty sure the filter for the '75-'79 Super Beetle is just what you are after, 3 for $20, and a 25% discount until 3-17-06 I never had a filter leak in the bug, replaced a bunch over 25 years, but only had to buy a fuel pump once, after the thing had probably pumped 50,000 gallons of gasFuel Filters

You could use any fuel pump you wanted, you just have to have the correct output pressure. Those bosch ones are $$$
bd1308
go to your local AutoZone, and ask for a fuel pump for a 87 Ford Ranger....there is a dude there that used to work for Porsche and when he built a dune buddy VW style (with a big t4) he used this pump.

I'll get the part number tonight.

79.99 vs. what...300 bucks?

b
yarin
Thanks guys.

I'm looking for a filter, not a fuel pump.

That Bug filter looks like its that weird oversized 12mm to 7mm used on the late 914s. Just to clarify that square black filter is for injection? Not carbs?

The PO had one of those(black box) installed on my car, except he used 3/8" hose on both sides. As you can imagine getting 3/8" hose on a 12mm nipple requires some "customization". headbang.gif

I'll stop by my FLAPS and see what they have.

Dave_Darling
The 9mm/7.5mm is a standard 914 part. I don't remember the year, but a decent 914 retailer should be able to hook you up. Try emailing glenn@pelicanparts.com -- he is one of our Sales staff and a 914 guy, so he should know which filter is which.

Or talk to your own favorite 914 parts place.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Tobra @ Mar 6 2006, 11:02 PM)
Pretty sure the filter for the '75-'79 Super Beetle is just what you are after, 3 for $20, and a 25% discount until 3-17-06 I never had a filter leak in the bug, replaced a bunch over 25 years, but only had to buy a fuel pump once, after the thing had probably pumped 50,000 gallons of gasFuel Filters

You could use any fuel pump you wanted, you just have to have the correct output pressure. Those bosch ones are $$$

And people complain at AA and dealer prices? These guys are out there! The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (yarin @ Mar 6 2006, 01:21 PM)
Does anyone know where I can find a fuel filter with 9mm in and 7.5mm out for injection?

I'm in the process of replacing my fuel lines. The feed is 3/8" and the return is 5/16". I already have a 3/8" filter I bought from summit, what's the best way to get it down to 5/16"?

Porsche used a short piece of hose that went from 9mm to 7mm on the 914s with the pump in the back. It's still available, but it costs around 30 bucks. I suggest an all metal Volvo P1800 fuel filter, or one from a BMW 2002 Tii. The Cap'n
yarin
I went to my local NAPA auto parts store and asked for a 3/8" to 5/16" filter. He busted out his catalog of all fuel filters with drawings and found one. $16, its for an early 90s dodge or something. When i pick it up tomorrow I'll get a part # and application. It comes with a mounting bracket, and yes its for injection.

No luck finding 7.5mm injection hose though. The 5/16" they had cost $5.50/foot!

Also had them order a bunch of 3/8" and 5/16" fuel line clamps.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (yarin @ Mar 7 2006, 12:19 PM)
I went to my local NAPA auto parts store and asked for a 3/8" to 5/16" filter. He busted out his catalog of all fuel filters with drawings and found one. $16, its for an early 90s dodge or something. When i pick it up tomorrow I'll get a part # and application. It comes with a mounting bracket, and yes its for injection.

No luck finding 7.5mm injection hose though. The 5/16" they had cost $5.50/foot!

Also had them order a bunch of 3/8" and 5/16" fuel line clamps.

Most VW shops will sell you the right hose for far less than $5.50/foot. I understand the FLAPS is convenient, but wouldn't you have the right part at a reasonable price? I'm thinking your FLAPS is actually one of the big chain stores, where you rarely get what you need, and rarely pay the lowest price, despite what their ads say. I'm a shop owner, and occasionally have to buy locally to get a car out the door. Carquest is the worst, but the others are not far behind. $12-15 (wholesale!) for a v-belt you could get at the local Delco wholesaler for half that, and Worldpac for 3-4 bucks. 56 bucks for a Rabbit front wheel bearing at Kragen ("lowest price, guaranteed!), 34 bucks at the VW dealer. I could go on for hours!

BTW, that Volvo fuel filter I mentioned in an earlier post is 14 bucks. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.