Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 vs. RX-7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
just intrested to see what ya'll think....

I think I can put him in his place, he's running his mouth WAY too much about his car.

b

BTW, my 914 is a 80k ish 1.7 with L-Jet (mean little engine) and he has a 13B that needs some work (turbo though--but he wont use it on the autoX)

he *SAYS* that his car is technically a mid-engine car and the weight balance is 50/50, but I have a hard time seeing it.

Allan
Has either of you a/x'd before?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 6 2006, 03:44 PM)
Has either of you a/x'd before?

hahahah...

britt is going to get wasted.... tongue.gif

jk... 1.8 brittspeed ™ motor vs a 2 rotor? or 3 rotor?
Andyrew
britt..

Spend cash on some Falken azena's.. and he'll be toast!!
bd1308
2 rotor 13B

This is his first RWD car, and my second one, but I have two years of experience in RWD slide techniques.

no AX tho sad.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 6 2006, 03:45 PM)
britt..

Spend cash on some Falken azena's.. and he'll be toast!!

screw the azenis (learn to spell poke.gif ) and go straight for Hoosiers... then youll have a chance laugh.gif
bd1308
heh, thats right he has almost gone tires and i have ZE-502s....

195/50(or is it 60)/15
Andyrew
do your research man! the azena's are the new tires falkens putting out and they'll be on the market soon.. no one but me has heard of them! *in my best alpha impression* ph34r.gif

I'll work on that aaron. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Who is the better driver? That makes more of a difference than the car.
bd1308
I saw that andrew laugh.gif good one.

I know about the arzenis. uh hoosiers in 6 inch wide trim?

b
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 6 2006, 03:49 PM)
heh, thats right he has almost gone tires and i have ZE-502s....

195/50(or is it 60)/15

whats the treadwear

(and those arent SR 215's or the new 615's....) <------ were the rage for cheap stick at an AX

10 says you get owned... or is that 'pwn3d' ? who wants to start a pool?

andrew... you spaz laugh.gif
D'Fuzz
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 6 2006, 02:46 PM)
2 rotor 13B

This is his first RWD car, and my second one, but I have two years of experience in RWD slide techniques.

no AX tho sad.gif

I used to own and a/x a first gen RX-7. They can be quick little cars. It will likely come down to tires, like others have suggested. Sliding doesn't get you much in a/x.
Andyrew
Go to the track, and have one of the advanced drivers take each car for a spin.

Then you'll know which car is better...
Brett W
Wheres the faith. 914s Dominate everything. Britt will win. No problem. He won't even need to align the car.
Bleyseng
Britt will be able to floor and make the turns in the AX while the RX7 will do wild spins as he has too much power!!! BTDT as Blair had that 89 Turbo2 at the AX.
Gary#
Interesting question cool_shades.gif
I own both. biggrin.gif A '73-2.0 & an '88 RX-7 'vert.
For starters, The "7" weighs about a 1000lbs more than the teener & the "7" has NO decent torque (read wimpy) unless you get the
R's above 5/6 for a decent launch. And yes it has near 50/50 weight distribution. BTW, it's a 13b with aftermarket intake & exhaust.
I admit it's a fun car - But with drivers being equal - my $$$ is on the 914.
Keep us clued.
turboman808
got to love aziens The poor mans autox tire. Brother just got the new compound azienis this week can't wait to see how they work. But it's a VW gti so I don't expect a miracle.
bd1308
cool.

tune in for another edition of Britt's Corner....

Until next time, buckle up and drive it like ya stole it wink.gif

b
jhadler
You say it's a turbo RX-7, but I missed what gen "7" it is. If it's a 2nd gen, I'd put money on the teener. If it's a 3rd gen RX-7, I gotta give it to the Mazda hands down. The 2nd gen is heavy, with a funky, not-so-effective rear suspension.

Then again, it really all comes down to the driver....

-Josh2
rick 918-S
Get him Britt! ( where's that junkyard dog smiley when you need it) popcorn[1].gif
bd1308
87 or 89 2nd Gen "7"

Mueller
both of you guys could get your @ss handed to you by a good driver in a Yugo if you 2 cannot drive....

I'd say go to a go-kart track and see who is the better driver 1st......
lapuwali
You'll smoke him. The 2nd gen cars are heavy, and only have average handling. The turbo doesn't spool all that fast, either. They're not very good AX cars. It's possible to hustle them around, but they don't like it much.
twdevoe
I auto crossed my 914 many years in CSP. i always ran the BFG R1's. And there was no 13b's that could come close, just watch the tail swing and you'll do fine. autocross is more finess than brute force. My money's on the 914
DanT
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 6 2006, 04:24 PM)
both of you guys could get your @ss handed to you by a good driver in a Yugo if you 2 cannot drive....

I'd say go to a go-kart track and see who is the better driver 1st......

Well said Mike....nuff said.

I smell something....it smells like BS ohmy.gif
Trekkor
This is better than TV laugh.gif

And the subliminal font...Hilarious.

I just wish I was close by so I could dust the both of you ph34r.gif

Hahhh!!

KT
ConeDodger
I have autocrossed both of these. I had a 12a first gen RX7 which was a very good AX car. It had a nice flat torque curve that fit right in most courses. The 13B with a turbo is kind of an unknown quantity. Having a turbo kick in just as you need to brake can be more than a little disconcerting. I am not aware of how much different the first generation was from the second. Frankly, it was so ugly that Mazda lost me as a customer even though I had bought two first generation cars.
The RX7 has the power but the 914 has the handling. But Mueller and many others are exactly right. What really matters in an AX are just a couple of things Number 1 is the driver. Number 2 are the tires. Both of you need to tighten the nut behind the wheel before you get out the pinks.
Go to any AX and run your car. Find your best time and then find the fastest time of day on street tires. Offer the guy your car for one run and he will beat your time dramatically. Sometimes by as much as 2 seconds. It happens every time. The driver is what matters. Your job is to BE THE DRIVER. Become the guy who can get in anything and make it fast.
ConeDodger
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 6 2006, 05:14 PM)
This is better than TV laugh.gif

And the subliminal font...Hilarious.

I just wish I was close by so I could dust the both of you ph34r.gif

Hahhh!!

KT

Laughter is appropriate from the guy who has improved so dramatically over the last couple of years. Trekkor has become the driver who can outdrive you in your own car.
D'Fuzz
The guy in our local club that consistantly get FTD drives a base model 1995 Neon, with no front or rear sway bars. He runs r-compounds on the car but he regularly beats WRX's, C5's, etc. The guy is just a scary good driver. It would amazing to see what he could do with a better car.
Bleyseng
Sorry, I'll spell it out "The turbo2 RX7 is a pig to drive on a AX course"

A 1.7 914 will beat its times! av-943.gif av-943.gif
Joe Ricard
I don't know what Gen is the RX-7 ? 2nd generation cars go straight to street prepared as they came off the show room.

Uh Britt and a progresive 2 barrel? Shit don't matter how good you are. unless Britt gets a clean run and the RX-7 collects a cone everytime.

RX-7 1 gen will hand you your ass. and anything newer than that DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.
bd1308
went to L-jet..I'm getting 200 bucks for my progressive carb.

good riddance.

b
Bleyseng
This is a 2nd Gen Turbo2 RX7. Had 350 rear wheel hp but doesn't turn for shit!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.