Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does flat towing hurt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wild 6
I had a mechanic tell me that flat towing hurts the transaxle. Specifically, the synchros and bearings. He told me that you need to stop every 100 miles or so and start the car to lubricate the transaxle parts. Is this true?

I have flat towed the car for 100's of miles at a time. Am I screwing up?
Series9
With a standard tranny, flat towing will never hurt as long as the shifter isn't loose enough to be bouncing against the shift parts while under way.
iamchappy
I have flat towed my car from Washington to Minnesota still no problems with the transmission and that was 15 years ago.
Series9
Look, there's no oil pump in a standard tranny. It's all 'splash' lubrication.

If you're rolling down the road, 'splash' is happening. The tranny has no idea whether or not the engine is running.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Series9 @ Mar 6 2006, 06:41 PM)
Look, there's no oil pump in a standard tranny. It's all 'splash' lubrication.

If you're rolling down the road, 'splash' is happening. The tranny has no idea whether or not the engine is running.

yep, im with joe,,,

the ring gear is turnin like crazy.... and then the pinion too... so as long as it is rolling it is getting lubed.....

(and make sure its outta gear)
bryanc
Another opinion......

The input shaft is not turning though. This means that the bearings that the gears on that shaft are spinning, but not like they do when the power is coming from the input shaft. Furthurmore every other gear on each shaft is turning (i.e. 1,3,5 on the input and 2,4 on the pinion shaft or verse-vicea).

It's more or less like driving in 5th gear for several hundred miles without shifting, just a different shaft.

An additional difference is that the tranny never gets as warm as it does with the engine running. I don't know if this is good or bad???

Really I don't think it's a bad idea to flat-tow, it does cause wear on the transmission though, but much less stress than the engine does.
Series9
On a standard tranny, all the gears are constantly meshed. Additionally, the 'input' shaft is constantly turned by the drive axles while in tow. Lubrication fully occurs as it does in normal operation.

Your comment about the oil warming up is true, but inconsequential.
DanT
Direct from a 30+ year factory trained Porsche mechanic....flat towing does not hurt the tranny. As stated previously, splash lubrication during driving or towing.

I know personally many folks that have been flat towing 914s and 911s to and from AXs and Time Trials for many many years with no problems.
I am talking everything from fairly stock 2.0L 914s to 2.8L twin plugged and 3.4 twin plugged 915 gear boxed 911s. One of them is running 335 rubber on the rear.
Several of these cars have been towed this way for over 15 years.

That's it.
gregrobbins
There have been threads about this before and the general consensus is that there is no problem. Andy, I just think Bryan wants to see you spend money on a trailer rather than more "go fast" parts. biggrin.gif
brp914
I took trans rebuilding at a JC to kill time after work until traffic died down. We took apart cars that have cheapo gear boxes where gears are not mounted on needle bearings like on Porsche. Just gears mounted on shafts. Those types cannot be towed long distances without disaster. But whether the 1 - 3 synchros on a 914 are getting adequately lubed w/o the gears turning is debatable.
Leo Imperial
3100 miles and no problem.
I'm also with Joe.
bryanc
QUOTE (Series9 @ Mar 6 2006, 06:09 PM)
On a standard tranny, all the gears are constantly meshed. Additionally, the 'input' shaft is constantly turned by the drive axles while in tow. Lubrication fully occurs as it does in normal operation.

Your comment about the oil warming up is true, but inconsequential.

The input shaft to me is the shaft that attaches to the clutch. This does not turn when you are towing unless you are in gear. The pinion shaft does turn.

I do agree that the lubrication will work fairly normally, just cooler.
Allan
QUOTE (Wild 6 @ Mar 6 2006, 05:19 PM)
I have flat towed the car for 100's of miles at a time. Am I screwing up?

No...
Wild 6
Thanks for all the input. I have towed this car all over the Southwest and I plan to flat tow it to the PCA California Festival of Speed at the end of the month. I have a small fortune in this gearbox and didn't want to break it.
Joe Bob
Tell yer wrench to lower his crack intake.....
jimtab
QUOTE ("*" @ Mar 6 2006, 07:11 PM)
Tell yer wrench to lower his crack intake.....

nice one Z... biggrin.gif
Porcharu
The transmission is turning just like you are driving down the road, just less stress and strain. However the bearings and such will still wear - just like driving down the road. I would think a synthetic trans oil would be a good thing because the trans is spinning yet the load is tiny so the temp should be low.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.