Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying a New Laptop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
riverman
I'm going to buying a new laptop in the very near future. My POS Dell Inspiron 2650 keeps crapping out on me. Due to poor cooling it goes through hard drives like crazy (3 in the last two years).

In the price range I'm looking in, most models come with about 1.7GHz processors, 40-60GB drives, 512MB RAM, 15.4" screens, built in CD-DVD burners, built-in wireless and a bunch of other stuff I don't understand.

All I want is a laptop that works fast and seemlessly. I use my computer for email, surfing the net, Itunes, digital camera and the odd video game (Tiger Woods 2006). I have a Linksys 2.4GHz wireless router upstairs and DSL high-speed.

Where should I put my money? I don't need a big hard drive, I'm not even close to using half of my 40 gig I have now. I'm pretty sure lots of RAM is good thing. Processing speed I'm not sure about because there seems to be a lot of other factors that affect a computer's performance other than the processor. I don't know anything about cache or video cards or busses. I also realize that the internet is probably slower than my computer anyway, so spending a lot of money isn't going to greatly improve my surfing experience.

You guys that know, what are the important factors in picking a computer and what are some the lesser known (yet still important) criteria to a computer's performance? What kind of things can I look for for so my new machine won't be obsolete next year?
Bleyseng
Hmm, my Dell Latitude 400 has been great for almost 4 years. I did replace HD last year.

Look at the Apple Macbooks if you like a nice laptop and you can run the PC Windows OS to run your Windows programs
Part Pricer
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 7 2006, 02:10 PM)
Look at the Apple Macbooks if you like a nice laptop and you can run the PC Windows OS to run your Windows programs

Huh? blink.gif

I thought that we had to wait for Vista for native support of EFI.

Has someone cracked the code already?
erikstoll
Toshiba Laptops = godly
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Part Pricer @ Mar 7 2006, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 7 2006, 02:10 PM)

Huh? blink.gif

I thought that we had to wait for Vista for native support of EFI.

Has someone cracked the code already?

Programs like SoftWindows....
Gary
Just dropped an order for a Dell Inspiron 6000 for the wife yesterday - Pentium M 1.7GHz, 512MB, 40GB HD, 15.4" screen, DVD/CD writer. Comes with Windows MCE (not XP home) loaded. $800 shipped with tax after $250 rebate.
Scott Carlberg
while I don't currently own a Laptop,
wasn't there recently just a thread here about Laptops that
recommended the IBM Thinkpads???
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (erikstoll @ Mar 7 2006, 01:39 PM)
Toshiba Laptops = godly

too bad they use the shitty touchpoint... if you carry a track point or something, then toshiba is the bomb! I just can't stand the touchpoint

same goes for the IBMs

I only have 1 bit of advice for laptops... DON'T BUY GENERIC... I'm all about DIY desktops, and off-brands... but on laptops, get a Dell, Hp/compaq(take off all the BS software they install though), sony is ok, I like mine...

buy it like you will never upgrade it, because you may never get the chance... in essance, to me, it's the opposite of desktops...
wertygrog
My brother has been doing a bunch of research and surfing the notebook forums for first hand experience and he tells me the Sagers are the best value and have a great street rep. No first experience myself though....

brent
jim912928
Thinkpads are rugged, full of cool features (shock sensors for hard drive, encryption, and many models have thumb print security readers). The T43 for example has both the touchpoint and a touchpad....best of both worlds. They are pricey, but the best on the market in the business world.

szuccaro
Prioritize as such:

Memory
Processor speed
drew365
QUOTE (wertygrog @ Mar 7 2006, 01:34 PM)
My brother has been doing a bunch of research and surfing the notebook forums for first hand experience and he tells me the Sagers are the best value and have a great street rep. No first experience myself though....

brent

I bought my daughter a Sager about 6 months ago. I had them install 1 gig 800 mb ram to match the front side bus since she needs to run Autocad. She runs a lot of design software and it works great. We had a problem with the unit at first, they kept it for several days, said the motherboard was bad and replaced the whole computer. It wasn't a cheap laptop but I think I got a lot for my money.
Dave_Darling
A buddy of mine had nothing but problems from a Sony VAIO laptop. The shop he took it to said they get them all the time--which doesn't say good things for their quality. Evidently they run hot as well.

I'm happy so far with my Fujitsu Lifebook. But I really need more memory.

--DD
Howard
I've had great luck with Medion. 1" thick, under 5 lbs. 12" wide screen format is neat. Best Buy is blowing out last year's Centrinos.

Medion
anthony
When you buy a laptop you primarily pay for light weight, form factor, screen size, and brand reputation. Heavier machines are cheaper, small screens are cheaper, and generic machines are cheaper.

Whatever you get I'd make sure it comes with the following:

1GB ram (don't skimp - everything just runs smoother)
100GB+ hard drive (better to not have to upgrade it 3 years from now)
DVD burner (why bother with just a CD burner)
3 year extended warranty (mandatory for a laptop IMO unless it never leaves your desk)

Processor speed isn't a big consideration IMO. Does it really matter whether you get a 1.6 or a 2.0ghz machine? Not really.

Decide what screen you want. The 15" widescreen display on my Apple Powerbook is awesome. I just got a 14" Dell Latitude with the SXGA+ display (1400x1050). It's also really nice and so much better than 1024x768.

IMO, the business class IBM (T series), Dell Latitudes, and Apple Powerbooks are the best laptops. They hold up, parts are easy to get, service is good, and of course they cost the most.

The other thing is that if you wait more dual core laptops will come out. A dual core processor machine should be significantly faster.
TimT
Panasonic Toughbook

I bought a used one from fleabay, 1.2GHz processor, 512 ram, touchscreen, shockproof, waterproof keyboard,40 gig hd..

I bought it cuz its tough as nails, and has a serial port.. I need a serial to connect to Haltech/MoTec/Electromotive/Race-Tech etc..

This laptop sometimes gets strapped to the floor of our racecars to collect data..

I think I paid $700 or something...it didnt come with a OS or any software though

Id even buy a new Toughbook.. when the time comes
pek771
I use a Panasonic Toughbook CF-29. Only because I work for Panasonic, and I needed a laptop. I beat the shit out of mine, and it is durable. Mine, if I actually had to pay for it, was almost $3000.

I saw one last year that a cop owned...perp took a shot at the cop, he held his laptop up. It stopped the projectile, cop was ok, motherboard didn't make it.

I have used mine outdoors in the rain. They might outsource my department...but they're not getting this computer back.
Porcharu
QUOTE (pek771 @ Mar 7 2006, 07:54 PM)
I use a Panasonic Toughbook CF-29. Only because I work for Panasonic, and I needed a laptop. I beat the shit out of mine, and it is durable. Mine, if I actually had to pay for it, was almost $3000.

I saw one last year that a cop owned...perp took a shot at the cop, he held his laptop up. It stopped the projectile, cop was ok, motherboard didn't make it.

I have used mine outdoors in the rain. They might outsource my department...but they're not getting this computer back.

You want a Pentium M not a Celeron M- unless things have changed in the last few months the celerons don't have the advanced power saving (and cool running) features the M's have. I'd take a 1.6Ghz M over a 2.0Ghz Celeron any day. I like the Dell I have for work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.