Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do I Feed Clutch Cable Through?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Tried to use a string to connect to one end of the cable but as I was pulling it through it came unattached - now I have to figure out how to get the clutch through the tunnel easily without getting it wrapped around anything in there? I am also going to put a new throttle cable in while I am in there - any ideas?
McMark
There's supposed to be a tube you feed it through that keeps it from hanging up. The tube ends just in front of the shifter. If your tube is missing, you've got a problem. unsure.gif
John
You just push the clutch cable in from the back to the front. There should be nothing (except potentially the throttle cable) to get wrapped around.

The throttle cable is done the same way. Only with it, you should use a mirror to check to see that the cables are not wrapped around each other.
KaptKaos
Be careful when you do this. I got my clutch cable wrapped around a brake line. It took months, but it eventually sawed a small hole in the brake line. Not a fun thing. Not sure I can tell you the correct way to do it, since I messed it up, but I would just test the clutch and make sure that the brake line doesn't move when you depress the clutch.
ChicagoChris
If you have a "fish tape" try that. It is a hard wire used to route electrical wires in conduit. Local home center for a few bucks.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Mar 7 2006, 12:27 PM)
Be careful when you do this. I got my clutch cable wrapped around a brake line. It took months, but it eventually sawed a small hole in the brake line. Not a fun thing. Not sure I can tell you the correct way to do it, since I messed it up, but I would just test the clutch and make sure that the brake line doesn't move when you depress the clutch.

Fed properly through an intact tube, there's NO WAY the clutch cable could come in contact with any brake line also properly installed. The entanglement commonly experienced is with the throttle cable, and is easily avoided by inspecting and clearing before the cables are connected to their respective levers. An improperly installed tube, or one broken free of its connections, should ALWAYS be properly repaired before installing a new cable. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.