Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMV of 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pistachio
Hi everyone! Wow, what a great resource to stumble across on the web! There seems to be a wealth of knowledge here - glad I found it.

I don't own a teener, but following one of the best pieces of advice I ever got - "If you're thinking about selling something, you ought to." I've sold off my Mustang auto-x'r & am searching for a 914 to play with.

While I admit I haven't been hunting for very long, I'm really confused with the asking prices I've run across so far. They've ranged from about $250 for a parts car to about $14K for what appeared to be a very nice, low mile, 1 owner car.

Here's the point of this post
While I'm in CA, I live in a fairly isolated, rural area. It's roughly a 4hr, one-way, drive to Reno, Las Vegas, or L.A./SoCal from my location, & that's where I'm most likely to find 914's for sale. In other words, it's not a hour or two to go look at a car. SO, I'm hoping that you guys can give me some idea of what I'll be looking at at various price-points.

I think beaters or projects are well within my skill level, but since this will be my 1st 914, I think I'm better off with a "complete", running car. ('cause I'm much better at putting things back together if I took them apart. wink.gif ) HOWEVER, I'm not looking to get into a huge repair project either.

I need/want what I'd call a DD. Probably has "cosmetic" issues, but it's solid, straight & square. Runs & drives... ok. No major rust issues, ect & so on. Something you could/would drive everyday & wouldn't really have to appologize for (keeping in mind it's a 30+ year car). A "project", but a drivable one - if you know what I mean.
I do intend to modify it, so I'm not looking for that pristine survivor, or that rare collectable model. Might be nice to find, but I'm not willing to really pay for it.

Kinda hard to descibe what I'm looking for, but considering I'm going to be investing an entire day + gas to look at anything, I'm hoping you guys can tell me what a "typical" asking price range you think I should be looking for.

TIA
VegasRacer
Welcome to the club Pistachio. wavey.gif
It sounds like you are looking in the 3K - 5K range.
SirAndy
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Mar 7 2006, 12:07 PM)
Welcome to the club Pistachio. wavey.gif
It sounds like you are looking in the 3K - 5K range.

agree.gif $5k should buy you a decent car here in CA ...

then add some $$$ to make it a AX killer ...
biggrin.gif Andy
Bleyseng
Buy the most complete and nicest example you can find and within your budget. Interior pieces are getting expensive, along with engine rebuilds ($5000), paint jobs ($2500-3500), without even thinking about suspension upgrades/AX upgrades.

Lots of good nice cars cross the pages of this BBS at affordable prices.
dlo914
welcome.png
Allan
wavey.gif You shouldn't always have to spend a complete day and a ton of money on gas. If you find something that seems interesting to you, let us know and chances are that someone will be close enough to it to look it over before you have to make that trek.
Pistachio
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 7 2006, 12:27 PM)

then add some $$$ to make it a AX killer ...
biggrin.gif  Andy

lol - yeah.

I pretty much figured the car + $15/20K to get it acting & looking like I'd like. Pure ballpark #'s there, but that's what I'm thinking at the moment.

I'm sure I had that much into my 5.0 & as toys go, didn't get a 1/4 of it back when I sold it wacko.gif

Bleyseng - I agree - Those little trim pieces and odd little missing parts add up really quick! Like you mentioned, add up body, drivetrain, trim, mods, & etc. & it's serious $'s quick.

On the other hand, I really hate to "cut up" a true low mile "rare" survivor - I'll leave those for the collectors.

Think my "perfect" car is a low mile garage queen with rotten paint, but otherwise perfect! lol... Know of any?
Pistachio
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 7 2006, 01:21 PM)
wavey.gif You shouldn't always have to spend a complete day and a ton of money on gas. If you find something that seems interesting to you, let us know and chances are that someone will be close enough to it to look it over before you have to make that trek.

hey that'd be neat.

It's be really nice to have someone who really knows what to look for/at to see a car before I lay out the green too. I have an idea of what to look for, & learning more everyday - thanks to this site. But it's hard to replace experiance!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.