Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got my European racing headre today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
Bolted the stubbies up ok, bolted the header pipes up ok, but the 4 to 1 collector was hard to slide onto the pipes. Is it necessary to get it on there so you can bolt the collector to the two pipes? How would I get it to slide on easier?

Ran the car with the megaphone on----loud laugh.gif
Bleyseng
I shoved the 4 pipes into the collector first then installed the pipes to the stubbies. Run it without the megaphone, waaay cool!

Geoff
ChrisReale
Geoff, did you bolt the collector to the two pipes with the holes?
Bleyseng
What two pipes with holes?

Geoff thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
ChrisFoley
I would think that if you attach the pipes loosely to the stubbies the collector would fit without too much trouble. After everything is assembled, then tighten all the bolts.
Brad Roberts
Foley nailed it. Assemble loose and tighten later.

B
ChrisReale
Im too full from dinner to get down and take pics. The collector has two prongs to bolt the collector to two of the pipes. Ill loosen up everything and tiighten when its all assembled. I knew I should have done that, I was really excited to get it on!
rhodyguy
megaphone huh? must be reale loud. he he. you're going to get good r&r-ing. h.e. weather is just around the corner.

kevin
KenH
Now you need a "Phase 10" muffler from "Tangerine Racing" or "Quiet Power".

Ken
machina
I am running the triad header and muffler. Muffler is well built and meets sound requirements.

david
ChrisReale
Thats a cool muffler. I have never seen one of their header mufflers. Thanks for the pic!
Brad Roberts
Cough...cough..um..cough.. cherry bomb..cough..

B
Bleyseng
Nice if you lose the rear valence.

My muffler from Eurorace exits into the stock hole.

Geoff
ChrisReale
I just got everything bolted up. The Eurorace muffler, like the pic Geoff posted exits the stock valence. It sounds killer! Low throaty rumble. I need to tie up a few loose ends (all the heater stuff I doan need!) and let it cool down and then I go for a drive!
Aaron Cox
could you fab dual cherrybombs for a /4 ? what sound / performance increase would that make?
Brad Roberts
Its called a Triad Aaron. It sounds good.

B
ChrisReale
What do you do about the clutch and speedo cable? It stinks when the housing burns.... barf.gif

Exhaust tape?
Brad Roberts
I ceramic coat the header...

Ok ..Ok..

Look at the side of your engine block (passenger side).. see the little threaded tab hanging off the block (warm air guide used to mount to it) I use a clamp with a hole in it for a bolt and put it around the cables. This keeps the cables off the header.

B
Bleyseng
DAmn, I did good as I already figured that one out without Brad telling me. I used a wiretie to snug it to the motor away from the header.

Geoff
Brad Roberts
Dont use a zip tie.. they melt...LOL

Safety wire works well also.

B
seanery
I've been wanting a safety-wire twister tool thingy.

Where can I get a decent one for a decent price?
ChrisReale
Ahhhh....I see.....I gotta do some drilling/tapping because One of the exhaust studs stripped its hole out. I have another exhaust leak sad.gif
Brad Roberts
Learn to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and sockets on the exhaust nuts. This will keep you from over torquing the nuts and pulling studs out (not enough leverage to hurt anything using 1/4 inch drive stuff)

B
Bleyseng
I use tie wire and wire pliers that I use when I tie steel (rebar). Got tons of it laying around from work.

Geoff
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 9 2003, 08:37 PM)
Learn to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and sockets on the exhaust nuts. This will keep you from over torquing the nuts and pulling studs out (not enough leverage to hurt anything using 1/4 inch drive stuff)

B

Sound advise. i will keep that in mind. I have a question on drilling and tapping. I have a stud that is 8mm one side, 9mm on the other. In a perfect world, I would get a drill bit that is slightly under 9mm in diameter, and tap, but since this is not the case, what size drill bit would be used?
MarkV
You need to look at a chart 8.1mm drill for 9mm tap .1mm pitch (decimal equivalent .3189" drill).

chart
ChrisReale
Thanks!
Bleyseng
Use a drill bit stop to set the depth of the drilling. Drill bits tend to bite and go further than you want in aluminum. You don't want to drill too far like Mike did.
Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.