Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: outside door handle repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
how hard is it to fix the mounting screw if it is broken off...

jimtab
The guy you need to get hold of is ury914, Paul is the guru of handles...he just fixed both of mine....give him a shout. Jim
Cap'n Krusty
Mark Britell does door handles .............. The Cap'n
lotus_65
hijacked.gif
i put a new handle on my car, but it still won't open the door. i can reach in (without the handle) and pop the door fairly easily but i don't want to force it.

what else do i need to do?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Mar 7 2006, 07:53 PM)

Mike,

Back when I had my 73 914 the mounting screw broke off the driver side handle. I took the handle off and drilled out where the mounting screw went and I think I used either a 10mm or maybe it was a 8 mm bolt about 3/4 inch long. Put the handle back on with lock washer and nut and every was fine. You couldn't tell unless you were looking for it. YMMV
URY914
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Mar 8 2006, 07:12 AM)
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Mar 7 2006, 07:53 PM)

Mike,

Back when I had my 73 914 the mounting screw broke off the driver side handle. I took the handle off and drilled out where the mounting screw went and I think I used either a 10mm or maybe it was a 8 mm bolt about 3/4 inch long. Put the handle back on with lock washer and nut and every was fine. You couldn't tell unless you were looking for it. YMMV

agree.gif

If only the screw (stud actually) is broken off, just drill through it and put a bolt in it.

Paul
sk8kat1
woohoo!! smilie_pokal.gif that's great news ... thanks guys ---
URY914
So this means you found a lefty handle?

Buck914
If the outside retainer tab is broken I am right to assume the unit is terminal? JB Weld crossed my mind but my mind has been simpled out lately. If terminal do I just go to all the usual suspects? pray.gif
markb
QUOTE(Buck914 @ Apr 15 2006, 09:58 AM) *

If the outside retainer tab is broken I am right to assume the unit is terminal? JB Weld crossed my mind but my mind has been simpled out lately. If terminal do I just go to all the usual suspects? pray.gif

Send it to URY914, he can repair it.
URY914
QUOTE(Buck914 @ Apr 15 2006, 08:58 AM) *

If the mounting tab is broken off it can be fixed. The complete story is in my blog, but ...

Take a picture of it or send it to me and I'll let you know what it will take to fix it.

Paul Woodbury
6713 Drifting Sands Drive
Temple Terrace Florida 33617

Here are some pictures before and after of a broken tab...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.