Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't go pokin' around with a screwdriver...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RD Evans
mad.gif Well I didn't think my floor pans were that bad but I found out otherwise with a few pokes of a small screwdriver! For those of you who have replaced there floor pans, how tough is it? I've read the article on PP and thought some real life experience would be a good compliment. What about just patching the weak area? Good or bad idea?
SirAndy
how big is the rusted area?
i have seen complete replacements as well as patchwork up to about 1/3 of one side.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

here's what i replaced, with a rust free donor piece from HPH ...

before:
IPB Image

cut out:
IPB Image

after (behind the can of brake cleaner):
IPB Image
RD Evans
I'll take some pics tomorrow. The problem area are on the passenger side beneath the cross member (which needs to be replaced as well). Also, directly beneath the center tunnel which brings me to another question. Does anyone make a replacement center tunnel? I didn't see one at restoration-design.
Brad Roberts
Which car is this RD ??

B
RD Evans
It is my red '74 that I have stripped down. I think it is going to become my "learner" car for welding/paint. Ever time I find a supposedly "nice car" in my price range (3K-5K) it has nearly as many problems as my car! I figure for the same money I could make this car a nice driver although nothing really fancy. Interior work here in Temple is cheap, the 1.8 runs ok but needs dual carbs to replace the single, has pedrinni wheels and I have a set of fuchs, etc...
Bleyseng
floorpans are pretty easy to replace. Cut out the spot welds witha spot weld cutter. Remove old pan, fit new one and weld in.
Geoff
Korijo
We were chisling out the tar, when we saw concrete...

IPB Image

IPB Image
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Korijo @ Sep 8 2003, 10:10 PM)
We were chisling out the tar, when we saw concrete...

I think Fred Flintstone had that same problem with his car.
Korijo
I think Fred Flintstone had that same problem with his car.

Thats actually how I helped push it laugh.gif

BTW, Vegas... got the shift knob wub.gif Thanks
mr914
Not too bad. Just hours of stripping insulation/sound deadening and patching other small holes.

That is if you have something to weld the floor pan to!! ohmy.gif
RD Evans
Getting the sound deadening pads out were easy using a heat gun and a painter's five-way tool. I thinking of having a rotesserie built before I try to replace the pans. Seems like access will be half the battle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.