Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting Problem Isolated
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BenNC
OK, so I think that I have finally eliminated all of my starting problems except for the relay board. I get intermittant conductivity between the 1 pin on the front connector and the 6 pin on the back connector depending on which way I push the pin. What a PITA.

Since a new board is somewhat on the expensive side, what options do I have besides replacement.

Thanks

By the way, its been sunny with highs in the low 80's and lows in the mid 60s for the past week and my teener has been idle. sad.gif
Brad Roberts
Clean the female pins (pull them out of the connector) with a small wire brush. Also use the small wire brush to clean the actual male pins on the relay board. You can also "squeeze" the female pins together (be very careful and not destroy them).

B
BenNC
Brad, I already cleaned everything up nicely and crimped to female connectors down a little. The problem seems to be that if the no. 1 pin moves I loose the connection. How is this put together down in the board.

Thanks
SirAndy
try to get a used one that is in good shape. i bit the bullet and bought a new one. fixed a bunch of problems at once. IMHO was worth the money ...

Andy
Brad Roberts
Oh.. boy..

The pins on the board are soldered onto "metallic" traces that run the length of the board.

You can try and heat the tar up and clean it all away and repair it.. but 98% of the time.. I grab another relay board. The tar is messy and makes you want puke as you breath it. Use a cheapy heat gun like I use on the floorboard tar paper.

Oh.. my favorite tool (brake cleaner) softens the tar on the bottom of the relay board.

B
BenNC
I played with my multimeter and the board diagram. Of course all of the other connections are solid. The number 1 pin seems to be the only troublemaker. How much damage would I cause by running a wire from yellow in to yellow out?

Otherwise, who has a goo used relay board for sale?

Is the Lucas bug contagious? I parked next to a Spitfire right before I started having all this trouble.
Brad Roberts
Ben,

If you dont have a problem with a jumper wire.. feel free. It will work fine. The trace for the starter doesnt "jump" off anywhere and get used for something else. I suggest you solder a wire into each end. This way if you get a relay board at a later date.. you can re-heat the solder and put it back to stock. DONT cut the wires and use a butt connector.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.