Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tubing Bender Loan?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
To Smog my '76, I need to replace/replicate the Exhaust Gas Recirculation lines which look to be about 1/2" tubing. All the "harbor freight" stuff, and other Chinowese bender are for up to 3/8" before you need to get into real money for a proper bender...

anyone got a tubing bender with 1/2" mandrels I can borrow for a week?

I'm in San Diego, north county

Thanks

Brian
eeyore
I think I have one of those lines lying around. About 2 feet long, slight bend in the middle, at least one 90 degree on the ends, with flanges.

I also have a complete muffler, no HEs, with a fairly new Cat that passed smog 2 years ago. Yay '75!
Mueller
i think I have all that stuff as well......free if you want it !!!

Cloudbuster, your parts got shipped off to Mark, he should have it by now....
Brian Mifsud
Oh CRAP! The Ups and Downs! I was all excited a minute ago:

I just left "Metal working Heaven"... got 8' of 1/2" tubing and a piece of 1/8" plate to make the flanges all for a grand total $1.08 ...... in the Bay Area, I would have left a metal supply store with a funny feeling between my rear pockets sheeplove.gif

I was drooling looking at all the sheetmetal, tubing, I-beams, plate not to mention Stainless, Aluminum, Copper/Brass... it was like "Junkyard Wars" on steroids..............

Now you guys step up and say you've got the parts!!!!!!!!!

Ha Ha laughs on me!!

I might as well add to the collection of extra emissions equipment I have for the '76 model year.. might open a musuem

I'll PM you guys for the particulars.. will gladly pay shipping...

Thanks

Brian
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Mar 8 2006, 09:46 AM)
I think I have one of those lines lying around. About 2 feet long, slight bend in the middle, at least one 90 degree on the ends, with flanges.

I also have a complete muffler, no HEs, with a fairly new Cat that passed smog 2 years ago. Yay '75!

Hiya,

I've got the muffler to firewall bit, it's the firewall to aircleaner portion I need. The piece I have is trashed, but I'm gonna copy it in new steel.

Would like to do the same for the other portion.
Mueller
Brian....

I fired up my propane burner a few nights ago...now to throw some charcol in the furnace to ensure it's totally dry (should be, I built it like 4 months ago sad.gif )

not my picture, but my burner looks just like this one

user posted image
Brian Mifsud
So when's the trip to Saturn?????

That looks just like a rocket booster....NOW it's clear, the secret 914 engine project you've been working on......
Mueller
Hey Brian,

Here is the one part I found for the egr stuff....

Brian Mifsud
Hey Mike,

The right side of it is recognizable. It looks like it goes to the firewall.. but the left side is weird. I vaguely remember that there should be another little rectangular flange which bolts up to the air cleaner intake. Is that possibly a BUS EGR plumbing?

I'll take it anyway. I can't find any documentation on the '75/'76 EGR system at all.

Anyone out there got a '75/'76 with unmolested smog system? At least pics??

Mike, send me the bill and I'll pay you what you need. Also, need heat/exhanger "flapper boxes" for the '76 if you got 'em.

Thanks

b
Mueller
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Mar 22 2006, 09:44 PM)
Hey Mike,

The right side of it is recognizable. It looks like it goes to the firewall.. but the left side is weird. I vaguely remember that there should be another little rectangular flange which bolts up to the air cleaner intake. Is that possibly a BUS EGR plumbing?

I'll take it anyway. I can't find any documentation on the '75/'76 EGR system at all.

Anyone out there got a '75/'76 with unmolested smog system? At least pics??

Mike, send me the bill and I'll pay you what you need. Also, need heat/exhanger "flapper boxes" for the '76 if you got 'em.

Thanks

b

those parts came off of a 914 I use to have....should be stock items.....

I added the flapper boxes of things to look for tonight in my garage.....

Got a disc #3??? Install keeps asking for it wacko.gif

VWnDRAG
Brian -
Mueller's EGR looks like it's off of a 75 1.8 engine. That's what I have. Here's a pic of my stock set up. Really not a great shot but hope it helps. Took it for something else. I can move hoses and get a better shot/angle later if needed.
Tom
bondo
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Mar 8 2006, 03:14 PM)
I just left "Metal working Heaven"... got 8' of 1/2" tubing and a piece of 1/8" plate to make the flanges all for a grand total $1.08 ...... in the Bay Area, I would have left a metal supply store with a funny feeling between my rear pockets sheeplove.gif

I was drooling looking at all the sheetmetal, tubing, I-beams, plate not to mention Stainless, Aluminum, Copper/Brass... it was like "Junkyard Wars" on steroids..............

Where is this place?!?!? I must make a pilgrimage! biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (VWnDRAG @ Mar 23 2006, 10:43 AM)
Brian -
Mueller's EGR looks like it's off of a 75 1.8 engine. That's what I have. Here's a pic of my stock set up. Really not a great shot but hope it helps. Took it for something else. I can move hoses and get a better shot/angle later if needed.
Tom

you might be correct, I forgot that I had the 1.8 car smile.gif

Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 23 2006, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Mar 8 2006, 03:14 PM)
I just left "Metal working Heaven"... got 8' of 1/2" tubing  and a piece of 1/8" plate to make the flanges all for a grand total $1.08  ...... in the Bay Area, I would have left a metal supply store with a funny feeling between my rear pockets sheeplove.gif

Where is this place?!?!? I must make a pilgrimage! biggrin.gif

Here ya go:

Escondido Metal Supply

user posted image
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 23 2006, 09:54 AM)
QUOTE (VWnDRAG @ Mar 23 2006, 10:43 AM)
Brian -
Mueller's EGR looks like it's off of a 75 1.8 engine.  That's what I have.  Here's a pic of my stock set up.  Really not a great shot but hope it helps.  Took it for something else.  I can move hoses and get a better shot/angle later if needed.  
Tom

you might be correct, I forgot that I had the 1.8 car smile.gif

YES, that makes perfect sense now, the hose's are clear enough in the photo. I think I can STILL use Mueller's EGR pipes though and adapt them to the 2.0.. just make a hardline instead of hose (might make funny burning smell with all those hot exhaust gases running through them).

I can at least use the EGR Valve.

Mueller
Okay, I found some more parts.....

Brian Mifsud
Mike,

thanks for digging through your treasure trove. I know time is tight with the twins.

see your PM.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.