Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Brake Hop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Hey Guys,

Here's a question on braking bias and how to solve a little occasional rear hopping. First the stats on the car:

911T Front Suspension including rotors and calipers
'87 944 Front rotors and 914-4 Front calipers on rear.
23mm torsion bars front, 250lb springs rear
Bilstein shocks all around.
22mm Front Swaybar, 16mm sway rear.
Prop valve replace by brass T.
Porterfield R-4's (fronts) all around

Issue:

On the track I love the brakes...not fading (I know, i'm not going fast enough) and it feels really balanced. On auto-x courses under HARD braking I get rear wheel hop. I have to admit that with more seat time I'm getting smoother and even my braking is getting better and the hopping is going away. But it's still there a little.

My question is: is it all driver modulation related? or is the mechanical balance off? On the tracks it's great, but I get it occasionally on the auto-x courses.

Thanks,

Bill
Brad Roberts
In a straight line ?? Loaded or unloaded side ??

B
nine14cats
Hi B,

Only when the rear unloads and in a straight line. If there is any weight on the rear (either side) it doesn't happen.

Got me an answer? laugh.gif

I'm betting it's driver blink.gif

Bill
Brad Roberts
The T is too much rear bias in this case. It will go away with the LSD.

If you want to cure it for autoX.. run stock 914 pads in the rear calipers (poor mans bias adjust after installing a T)

B
nine14cats
Thanks B,

I have a nice set of stock pads in the garage. I'll throw them on and let you know how they did at next weeks auto-x. I won't be getting to the LSD until the season is over.

Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.