Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An odd request
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Plastic Buddha
Hello to all of the wonderful folks here. I'm not sure where to post this but could anyone point me to a site that has really good photos and or scale drawings of a Porsche Type 930 engine as used on the factory 935's? I started scratchbuilding a 1/8th scale "replica" but because I had just three or four photos of the block and a single cross section drawing taken from Paul Frere's "Porsche - Racing Cars of the 70s" (I'm embarassed to admit as my only Porsche book!), I kept running into difficulties with getting everything to work properly:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I'm somewhat limited to working in white styrene plastic and what few modelling tools I have. I would appreciate any help. Thank you!! biggrin.gif

To the mods: As this is my second post, please feel free to move this to an appropriate spot. Thanks.
seanery
you're a sick man! ohmy.gif

That looks incredible. Bruce Anderson's book may help you out quite a bit.
alpha434
HOLY JAHOSAFAT!

That's flippin' awesome!

Anything by Bruce Anderson will be ok.
Mueller
This ought to help.....

1:8 Scale 911 engine

I've tried to find one of these kits, but very rare and go for big bucks nowadays sad.gif

Mueller
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 8 2006, 02:50 PM)
This ought to help.....

1:8 Scale 911 engine

I've tried to find one of these kits, but very rare and go for big bucks nowadays sad.gif

oh yea, when you are ready for some alum or zinc castings, I'm sure we could work something out welder.gif
bd1308
and run it on nitromethanol

or real gas!

and I could buy one and put on my nitro RC racer.

b
Eric Taylor
Man muller that has to be one of the coolest things ever! Man it actually runs! I thought building the real thing was cool !
Erc
Mueller
QUOTE (Eric Taylor @ Mar 8 2006, 03:16 PM)
Man muller that has to be one of the coolest things ever! Man it actually runs! I thought building the real thing was cool !
Erc

yep, a true work of art wub.gif

check out the packaging of the motor.....

user posted image
Bleyseng
I like this one! Wonder if Jake rebuilds these???
Plastic Buddha
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 8 2006, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (Eric Taylor @ Mar 8 2006, 03:16 PM)
Erc

yep, a true work of art wub.gif

check out the packaging of the motor.....

user posted image

Whoah!!!! blink.gif blink.gif I guess it's been done already!!! Incredible!!! Out of curiosity, Mueller, how much are these kits going for??? Oh, my lord!!! Look at how crisp and accurate the details are!!! Oh, well....I guess I can find some consolation in that I wasn't too far off with my crude handmade plastic model. I did have moving pistons with rings but I kept breaking the plastic chain:
user posted image
I probably didn't get the pitch correct either.
user posted image
user posted image
Sniff....I think I'll take my model and go home sad.gif (just kidding) I'll do more research and maybe start another in 1/10th scale. Thanks guys!!! biggrin.gif

BTW... does anyone have good reference photos and/or drawings of either the flat 8 or the flat 12?
Bleyseng
http://www.pbase.com/917carl/917_12_cyl_engine

tons of pics of the building of the 12 cylinder
Eric Taylor
Don't give up! ohmy.gif This project looks great too! keep us updated it's going to be great when it's done. I love the flat 6 wub.gif
Eric
SGB
"Sniff....I think I'll take my model and go home"
no wait-
tell us about it.

How are you doing those, castings? This is to make a mold and cast metal, or build as plastic? Did you mill these little peices out somehow?
Bleyseng
he uses a Dremel !
Plastic Buddha
Hey guys!!
Mueller - Thanks for the link! I'm still drooling over the stuff they have on offer. God! I forgot Pocher makes incredible 1/8 scale kits. I gues I haven't been keeping up with large scale, big dollar kits. Some of those transkits alone would require the sale of a first born male (22yr. old male for sale. Has tattooes, piercings, scars from racing downhill bikes and needs a bath. Offers start at $500.00 U.S.) biggrin.gif
Bleyseng - Thank you for that wonderful link as well. If I do a 1/10th scale engine, I might as well build the rest of the car around it. Maybe the 1969 longtail with the moveable flaps?? Oh, and it would be an electric R/C car.
Eric Taylor - Thank you for your vote of confindence (gulp!). I'm going to have to drop back and punt on this one. I began this project as an "assist" to Dave's (AirBoston) project 935 pan car r/c car on another forum. I had very little to go on save for the few photos he gave me of the engine block. Either he neglected to tell me about the existence of the 1/8th scale engine kit or he wasn't aware of it either. Anyway, the original project is dead but I held on to what I had built so far in hopes of picking it up again. I suppose part of what kept me enthused about it besides the challenge of scratchbuilding something so complex was that it would be something unique to add to my collection. Honestly, I would have much preffered to work in 1/10th scale anyway. So, a 1/10th scale flat six wil be in the future albeit a simpler one without the working internals that I will be mounting on my 1/10th scale Tamiya 911 Carrera r/c project car.
SGB - I cut shapes from various Evergreen Plastic stock (model car stuff) that were glued or laminated together that I drilled and/or ground with my Dremel Mototool and nail files:
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
It was a bit of a challenge trying to grind the plastic freehand and I really wished I had a Unimat mini-lathe. This is a one-off model built entirely out of styrene plastic. The photo showing the piston and connecting rod might be mis-leading; that's styrene that has been painted with Metalizer model paint.
Sorry about being so long-winded. Thanks guys! biggrin.gif
Mueller
Hey Mr. Bubba smile.gif

I believe the kits sold for a few hundred bucks new, now they change hands for about a $1000 or so if and when available.....

I do know of one person that has an partially built kit...wonder if he'd be willing to "rent" it out to have it laser scanned idea.gif

Plastic Buddha
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 9 2006, 07:40 AM)
Hey Mr. Bubba smile.gif

I believe the kits sold for a few hundred bucks new, now they change hands for about a $1000 or so if and when available.....

I do know of one person that has an partially built kit...wonder if he'd be willing to "rent" it out to have it laser scanned idea.gif

av-943.gif "MR. BUBBA"?!? av-943.gif

1000 bucks!!!!?!? Ah feels your pain....
user posted image
Guess ah'm gonna have ta check with Hillary first to see if she kin give me mo play money, 'cause ah dun spend it all on see-gars and hook....ah never mind!!! biggrin.gif

signed,
Bubba "Who yo daddy now" Clint (on)

PS. Say, you fellas wouldn't happen to have seen an intern go runnin' past here???

On a serious note, I suppose there isn't a "Scale Collector's Corner" here where I can hang out ? idea.gif
djm914-6
Yup, Mike (Plastic Buddha) will fit right in on this forum. wink.gif

Now, get that scale 914 you bought from Treadway going... don't forget the 1/10 scale jack stands as we all know that no 914 owner wouldn't be with out at least 4. This place is the be all to 914s so if you have questions or need particular photos, don't hesitate to ask. Unlike that Brit stuff you've been working on lately, there is a lot of info available on the NARP (Not A Real Porsche - as 911 owners tend to call 914s).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.