Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car wax. what type do you use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
I have a white car. The carnuba waxes that I tried seem to leave a yellowish tint on the surface. Any one have a good recommendation?

I tried Mothers & Mequires. The PS21 makes an excellent cleanser, but their wax has no longevity.
It also shows every flaw in the surface.

How are gliptone, harleys, and the 3m products?
seanery
happy with Zymol so far.
tdgray
agree.gif

Zymol Rocks. Thier leather cleaner / conditioner is also the best there is.

Todd
PatW
Zymol is good stuff but, I always end up going back to the standard. Turtle Wax. boldblue.gif

Pat
kdfoust
OMG, a 911 list question! wink.gif

Naw, just had to razz you a little on that.

3M waxes are pretty fine products and do have good longevity (they're not purely organic like a carnuba). I'm using Zymol right now however for the extra money (~$40 and tin versus ~$15 for 3M) I'm not seeing ANY difference on my car although the Zymol is nice to work with. A car-wax geek buddy is using some Mother's products right now on his black car (very challenging to wax well) and is real happy.

I put 3M on the other cars as well and am satisfied, however, none of my cars are challenging colors (met. green, white, & gold).

Have fun,
Kevin

BTW, I work for 3M, but not the "car wax" division.
Rusty
Meguire's Caranuba cream wax (caranuba blend). I don't have time to screw around with paste wax anymore.

-Rusty smoke.gif
seanery
I used SuperGlaze on my black 951 with good results.
It comes off black rubber & plastic trim easily.
drew365
I usually spit on the dirt spots and rub it with an oily rag. Works good, longevity is questionable though. laugh.gif

Wise ass, I know.
KenH
ChecK out this link

http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=9

Also check the rest of the site.

Note the "ONE GRAND" products. I like the wax and REALLY like the "detailer spray" for quick touchup.

Note the comment about 3M clouding German paint - I did see this on my car.

Ken
porsche735
I had about 5 different waxes in my garage so we did a test on our black car. Zymol won hands down and it was by far the easiest to apply and remove....

Chris
jnp914
real men still use Simoniz in the little yellow can

argh....argh....argh
SirAndy
just make sure you don't accidentally spray WD40 on your car.
it'll eat the paint right off the metal and the car is totaled!

ask me how i know cool.gif
jnp914
I thought WD-40 was a petroleum distillate. How did it eat the paint?
URY914
I buy WD40 in the gallon jugs and pour it all over it and let it try in the sun.

Paul
boxstr
ZAINO Bros. on the black cars and BLITZ on the white cars.
Works for me.
CCLINBOXSTERFORUM
p914
Eagle One once a year and Meguiars Clean and Shine on a regular basis. Mein 914 ist schwarzes.
bmendel
the top finishers in the Zone 7 concours for the early 9 series cars all swear by Griots Garage products. I'd have to agree, they work great. Speed Shine by the gallon...

www.griotsgarage.com
Joe Bob
Acid rain eats away....so I don't use it..... blink.gif
Malmz
I have to admit I had to buy the Malms wax starter kit for obvious reasons. Haven't tried it yet and I ain't waist'en it on my 914! Looks good on my desk though....

smile.gif

sm
tod914
Acid rain eats away....so I don't use it.....

Mike, if you don't drive your 914, there would be less acid rain. Hence you could use wax and have a nice and shiney 914.
EPK
Hi all, regarding the question of car wax, you might check with Brice Kadel at Prestige Car Care Products in Ohio. Brice was instrumental in organizing the Ohio 914 meet, Brice sells great products and is very knowledgeable and a nice guy.
[URL=http://www.prestigecarcareproducts.com
This is not a commercial, just trying to support someone who has helped the 914 cause in Ohio.
-P-
ZAINO. I love their stuff.
ninefourteener
I use Mothers pure carnauba... WITHOUT CLEANER.

I don't think you can buy it in stores, the stuff you find in stores has "cleaner" in it. I know I usually order it from Summit...... runs about $20 a can.

It doesn't last terribly long, but it is SUPER thick... goes on very easy..... and it even hides small flaws in the paint..... Good stuff..... it comes in a wide, flat can. If your car sits in a garage and only comes out on ice days.. it's perfect.

Just My opinion, I swear by that stuff though.
J P Stein
WAX?

I have never waxed my 914....and have no intentention of doing so. I was thinkin' bout using ear wax on the primer, tho......get it a little more greenish.
SirAndy
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 11 2003, 12:40 PM)
WAX?

I have never waxed my 914....and have no intentention of doing so. I was thinkin' bout using ear wax on the primer, tho......get it a little more greenish.

your ear-wax is green? mine is dark-yellow-reddish ...
what's up with that? confused24.gif

Andy
seanery
german colors, that's it Andy.
seanery
JP must be Irish.
tod914
I have never waxed my 914....and have no intentention of doing so. I was thinkin' bout using ear wax

And apparently you have never cleaned your ears barf.gif

Thanks for the hot tip. I was going to go with toe cheese, but the ear wax might leave more of a luster.
blink.gif
drew365
I wonder if J.P. has determined the longevity his ear wax has for protecting the car finish? It's possible that Irish ear wax may have more durability. If so you could can it. laugh.gif
tod914
market it as "Earnuba" It makes your car look nuba than the day you bought it.

BTW thanks for feedback. Gives me a few candidates to choose from.
drew365
"Irish Ears are Shining" would make a good campaign.
tod914
Ken I just read that article you posted. Great information there. Thanks. I guess I need to stick with white waxes, which limits me to the ps21 and the zymol. Once I finish up the PS21, I will give the zymol or garrets a shot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.