Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weld in roll cage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jnp914
I have seen a few pictures here of some very nice weld in roll cage installations. But....how do you paint that sucker once it is in?
URY914
Mask off everything, and shoot it.
PITA!

Paul
jnp914
So I guess you torch out the rear bulkhead so you have plenty of access to shoot the rear of the tubes?
SirAndy
paintbrush and por-15 ...
helps to have the front and rear windows out.

Andy
Brad Roberts
Like Andy and Paul said. You can mask everything off.. or use Por15 (its self leveling..so the paint strokes from the brush doesnt show)

B
jnp914
Thank you, Pondskipper, you have revealed the secret.
campbellcj
It seems like it would be pretty easy to paint the tubes before assembly/welding in the car. Obviously you would want to leave the ends bare and then POR-15 the welds later.

It is definitely possible to paint it inside the car (I did brushed-on POR-15) but it is really tough or impossible to hit every nook and cranny, esp. with any interior upholstery or the windshield still in the car.
machina
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Sep 10 2003, 04:55 PM)
It seems like it would be pretty easy to paint the tubes before assembly/welding in the car

Not a chance. The welding conducts so much heat into the tubing and surrounding sheetmetal that just about everything near the weld site needs to be primed and painted. We even had the undercoating in the wheelwells catch fire a few times. (we removed the UC later)

On the otherhand, if you are using a pre-fab cage, then just paint it first. If you want a tight fitting custom cage, plan on painting.

regards,
david
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.