Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Refurbishing Rubber Bumper tops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
Would it ruin the bumper pads to wet sand them a little with some fine grit paper? I was thinking if I could get the oxidation off, the back to black stuff would work better. Anyone have experience with this?
Allan
I used a scotch-brite pad and simple green followed by a liberal application of Mothers back to black.

Came out looking new.
Tobra
Sweet, I have a whole bag of those scotch pads
sk8kat1
back to black works well .. but if it doesn't get entirely black try forever black .. it is like a dye so you would want to werear gloves and either mask off your car or remove the pads
freezing14
I used blak tool dip diluted in thinner and sprayed on, fill all the little crackes and came out looking new, the orange peel of the tool dip even reproduce the original finish,, my 0.02c
Tobra
I bet that black tool dip/thinner combo would work to refinish a dash, or rollbar pad, cool_shades.gif hmmm
dimitri
Rubb out with soap and scotch pads till the surface is smooth again. Oil
up with motor oil, let it soak. Wipe off almost dry, will look like NEW!
Dimitri
pfierb
QUOTE (dimitri @ Mar 16 2006, 05:59 PM)
Dimitri

I don't know about using motor oil on rubber bumper tops may look great for a while .....but must be a magnet for dirt and grit and I always thought rubber and oil don't mix.
jasons
I used SEM vinyl coat on one before. It worked good and lasted well.
Ferg
I sanded mine smooth with a power hand sander, and then used dupi-color bumper flexible paint, using their adhesion enhancer first. Turned out excellent.

Ferg. beer.gif
Tobra
Simple Green and Scotch pad worked awesome, followed up with B to B. They were bad enough that the back to black stuff would not even touch it. Forgot to do a before pic on the front, will do a before and after on the back.
Tobra
before, soap and water only to wash, back to black did not do much.
Tobra
After, uing scotch pad and simple green, wiped down with damp cloth and back to black applied. It even feels smoother.
Allan
Looks great.

I was really happy with the way mine turned out after the same treatment.
olav
QUOTE (dimitri @ Mar 16 2006, 01:59 PM)
Dimitri

How long have you been using that method on your bumper tops?

Are they the original ones that came with the car?

Can you post some pics?

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.