Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing front caliper pistons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Hey guys:
I'm trying to get the pistons out of the front calipers.
It looks like they're seized, but they're not too bad looking.
I cannot move them by hand. I've sprayed tham with Liquid Wrench to try and loosen them up.
I've used the trick to blast compressed air to remove one of them in the past, but I was wondering if you guys had any other ideas.
I was thinking of just grabbing the very tops with a pliers and trying to twist and pull them out, but that didn't seem like the best idea. I do have the rebuild kits on order.
Any ideas are appreciated.
Andy... pray.gif pray.gif
porsche735
Did you try the compressed air? That's what I do. Sometimes you need to use some soft jaw pliers or vise jaws to twist it a bit along with the air. the trick is to be gentle...

Chris
914zim
I guess I should've done a search first... a lot of good tricks there.
Thanks guys!!!
smrz914
My friend used compressed air once and when the piston came out it weged his thumb between it and the other side of the caliper. I've herd suggestions of using grease b/c it's not compressable. It's for a safety measure. Some kind of penetrating fluid like Marval Mystery oil might help. try pushing the piston in not out and see if it moves. if it does then try slowly going out. good luck.
914zim
Thanks fellas!!!
Steve Thacker
Ge yourself a case of PB Blaster,..if it can't remove rust / corrosion throw the part in question in the lake. I swear by the stuff.

Steve
914zim
Thanks Steve!
I agree beer.gif
I just sprayed 'em up before I left for work...
I'm on my 3rd can already!
Andy...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.