Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding & Metal Working Info.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTPatrick
I have found out 2 good sources for welding and metal working information for those of you out there who do their own welding. Since 914's are always in need of metal working of some sort, check these sites out.

They are as follows. cool_shades.gif

1)- Metal Shapers Assoc. www.allshops.org

2)- TM Technologies www.tinmantech.com

They have a lot of useful info, FAQ's, weblinks, etc for those of us who like to do our own welding. You can use them as sources for buying welding equipment too. sawzall-smiley.gif

If reading really floats your boat, well try the following book which can be bought at Barnes and Noble or thru the webiste of motorbooks.com which is up in Wisc. . welder.gif

1)- "Performance Welding" , by Richard Finch.

Just want to help a brother out. beerchug.gif

GTPatrick. jsharp.gif
GTPatrick
Just another bump to see if there is any feedback . blink.gif
turboman808
Yeah might have to take a trip to Barnes and Noble. I ordered a dvd from ebay on welding it should be here soon. I definetly want to learn more before I go and buy the equipment though. But I am hoping to practice making parts for the ricer cars in my neighborhood before I attempt to molest a 914-6.

You know I would also really like to learn brazing. Don't see it mentioned much with cars though. But I guess the viper was made by brazing together 2 extra cyclinders. How well would brazing work with sheet metal work? It would look much nice I would think.
race914
Thanks for the links. I've been to the allshops.org site before to see the info posted by John Kelly. Also have his DVD on metal shaping which is good.

I ordered a Welding DVD from Ebay and it is a copy of a Navy Training film... Interesting and worth what I paid, but not quite what I expected! Of course if you can weld a submarine any work you do on a 914 should be ok wink.gif

Thanks again for the info
spare time toys
I was keeping up wiyj allshops.com a while back. Some guy was building an all aluminum Willies pray.gif and doing it out of his home garage.
Pistachio
QUOTE (turboman808 @ Mar 10 2006, 10:31 AM)
Yeah might have to take a trip to Barnes and Noble. I ordered a dvd from ebay on welding it should be here soon. I definetly want to learn more before I go and buy the equipment though. But I am hoping to practice making parts for the ricer cars in my neighborhood before I attempt to molest a 914-6.

You know I would also really like to learn brazing. Don't see it mentioned much with cars though. But I guess the viper was made by brazing together 2 extra cyclinders. How well would brazing work with sheet metal work? It would look much nice I would think.

One of the best places to learn all about sticking two pieces of metal together cheap, is to take a night class at your local Community or city college - really!

It's an amazing deal. For the cost of the class & a small "lab fee" they provide all the equipment, the consumables and the metal for you to play with for the duration of the class - Oxy/Acet., Arc, MIG, TIG, and Heli-arc it's all there. AND, they'll encourage you to use the "lab" even on your non-lab days/hours.

So you get ~ 3 months of practice, playing with high dollar equipment, for less money than it'd cost you to fill your big cu/ft Oxy/Act tanks just once, or your Argon MIG tank with a big spool of wire and some tips.

And yes - most places will let you take in your own goodies to work on!
Pistachio
forgot to mention the added bonus of getting to work under the watchful eye of a journeyman level instructor/welder.

He'll tell you why your weld sucks & how to fix it/do it right, the next time. That info's "priceless" & much more accurate than your half-schnockerd buddies standing around the garage watching you
race914
QUOTE (Pistachio @ Mar 11 2006, 05:30 AM)
forgot to mention the added bonus of getting to work under the watchful eye of a journeyman level instructor/welder.

He'll tell you why your weld sucks & how to fix it/do it right, the next time. That info's "priceless" & much more accurate than your half-schnockerd buddies standing around the garage watching you

I can be a "witness" for the community college learning opportunity!

I did exactly that and got really good hands on with gas & MIG projects. The instructor was retired from Lincoln and really knew his stuff. pray.gif

The local Prax-Air dealer even offered discounts to the class

For the price of admission, you can't beat it
GTPatrick
Race914 and Pistachio are right about the going to the local Tech School or Community College gig. pray.gif I'll be going that later this year. boldblue.gif You learn on their time and equipment and get to play with their toys too. piratenanner.gif
alpha434
QUOTE (GTPatrick @ Mar 11 2006, 11:55 AM)
Race914 and Pistachio are right about the going to the local Tech School or Community College gig. pray.gif I'll be going that later this year. boldblue.gif You learn on their time and equipment and get to play with their toys too. piratenanner.gif

Nothing can really teach you to woork metal short of peronal instruction. The initial costs of attending a trade school for a while are nothing compared to the costs of having to figure things out yourself and developing bad habits.

I attended two seperate vocational schools. One for a 6 week welding course and another for a 2 year degree in machining/ industrial design. Worth every dollar.

cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.