Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: welt HD shifter springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
I have an issue with when I am shifting 1--> 2nd it seems to nick reverse or grind very lightly .... I tried to adjust the cluch but it really doesn't seem to make a huge differance

it seems to get better once the car warms up a bit but never goes away completely

I am going to be draing the trans fluid and putting in swepco 201 hoping to help this some

I read the description of the welt kikt and it seems to describ my situation but wanted to know if anyone has experiance with the kit

or

if anyone has any other thoughts on my issue
john rogers
They do help somewhat. You probably could also use some new bushings. I replace ours about every two to three years.
Bleyseng
If you are nicking 1st/rev then the shifterplate is not adjusted right. Adjust that first.

you only need the springs IF yours are completely worn out as in when you go to shift into first there is NO resistance. There should be required some decent force to pull the leve to the left to engauge first/rev.

Having a new shift plate is really nice too.

mueba.gif
Cap'n Krusty
IMO, and notice it ain't IM"H"O, the stock shifter springs are fine, and they DON'T wear out. Carefully examine the condition of both the shaft of the shifter and the spring loaded plate that guides it. It's there you'll find the answer to your problem. Fix/replace them. You can't speed shift a 901, BTW, so practice moving the shift lever in a nice smooth motion, following the "H" every time you shift. None of this slamming the shifter diagonally! The Cap'n
rhodyguy
redo the 2 bushings that cradle the ball on the shift handle. clean the shifter base and the stock springs. those hd springs are overkill in my book. the added pressure and any debris on the gate, can wear a swell grove into the bottom of the shift lever too.

k
sk8kat1
It also grinds a lil' bit at a stop light going into 1st ... the PO replaced the bushing already about a year before I bought it ...

I will check the shift plate ..

DonTraver
If you want a bit more spring pressure, simply add 1 or 2 washers between the spring and the housing on the spring shaft. It works, and it's much cheaper than the kit. Bit of a pita, you can clamp the shifter in a vice to add the washers/shims. I did it years ago, 1 washer on each spring, shifts easy, shifts out of first into second real nice.

Good Luck, Don
URY914
QUOTE (DonTraver @ Mar 10 2006, 07:37 AM)
If you want a bit more spring pressure, simply add 1 or 2 washers between the spring and the housing on the spring shaft. It works, and it's much cheaper than the kit. Bit of a pita, you can clamp the shifter in a vice to add the washers/shims. I did it years ago, 1 washer on each spring, shifts easy, shifts out of first into second real nice.

Good Luck, Don

Good idea.

If you take a washer and can cut a slot in it so it just fits over the pin (with a little help from a hammer) you won't have to take the springs/pins apart. These can be a pain to get back together. The spring flies across the shop a few times before you get it all back together.
Air_Cooled_Nut
I installed the W-spring kit in my first 914. What a PITA to install...yes, those springs can fly! smash.gif I transfered the whole shifter assembly to my current 914.

You REALLY gotta push the shifter into 1st/R...no doubt about it! And it does a great job of 'poping' the shifter into the 2nd gear position. Having said that, though, I don't drive my car often so my inner upper arm does get a little worn having to leverage that shifter into 1st/R after a day of driving. With what I know now, I think the idea of adding a slotted washer is a better, easily reversable solution (where where you monkeys in 1996?). Yes, replacing all the bushings is a great idea as well.
brant
I'll seriously bet that nicking reverse is not your problem when your shifting (and thus the stronger reverse lock out spring will not help what so ever)

you've got the common old, worn dogs-slider issue
putting the spings in won't improve that problem
rebuilding part of your transmission will.

and do the bushings too.
it probably won't fix the Tranny... but it might protect the rebuilt tranny after you have that part done.

brant
bondo
I wouldn't call nicking reverse "grinding very lightly". I'm guessing your 2nd gear synchro is just worn. Sounds like your first gear one is too. Try adjustments and replacing worn shifter parts, but I'm guessing the problem will persist until you replace synchros (and maybe dog teeth and sliders).
maf914
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 10 2006, 08:03 AM)
These can be a pain to get back together. The spring flies across the shop a few times before you get it all back together.

I did the Weltmeister spring thing years ago and was okay with the result. It added a noticable extra push away from reverse for the first to second shift and I don't find the shift effort back into first or reverse to be excessive. But, in all honesty, I don't know if I would do it again. I think I would try shimming the existing springs first.

BTW, gettin those springs in was a bitch. Takes a while to figure out the right combination of vice-grips, pliers, screwdrivers, etc. to get everything together. And like Paul said, you'll be chasing those things all over the garage, cuz when they get away from you, and they probably will, they fly! laugh.gif
lotus_65
do any of you have a line on a bushing kit? i was just about to order one from pelican, but it's out of stock... this was the first place for me to start troubleshooting the same problem.

thanks.

paul b.
sk8kat1
I was just looking through the receipts from the PO ---

in 1998 had done

dissassimble trans replaced 2nd grear teeth and syncro , 1st gear sycro and fliped the 2/3rd operating sleeve to best on 2nd...

then there is a note:

very cghipped 1st gearsmall - teeth on large 1st gear 60% gone -- man shaft damage at end threads and fit , missing throw out fork guides

sad.gif --alright boys tell me the bad news ....
olav
I add the spring kit and it helped a lot to spring the shifter into second gear position.

I was completely happy with the results.

I then bought the Rennshift and now am super happy because of the decreased throw and new everything.

Having said that, when I installed the springs I made a special tool to compress the spring that allowed me to slip it into place and put the pins in and everything so I never had any issues in the installatation excepted that I broke the drill bit creating the extra holes for the springs.

I used the kit to help out with the "grind" too. As it turned out I had to replace my 1st gear synchro.
Aaron Cox
get a rennshift wub.gif and fix your synchro's/sliders/dogs
Dr Evil
Your tranny needs attention = bad news.

2nd, you should try adjusting your rod at the cuopler in the tunnel.
Joe Ricard
I had Welt springs and the plate in my car. I broke the handle out of the ball from too much spring pressure.

Ended up leaving the plate and just cutting the springs shorter like 1/4 inch or something.
Much better and fairly positive shifting. I can go pretty quickly 1st the 2nd but it is still in an "H" fashion.

Moving the shifter 1 tooth on the shift rod makes a big difference. not exactly easy to do 1 tooth either. so be careful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.