Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Rust Experts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obscurity
I put new tires on the car, replaced the fuel lines, bought a new battery, got it running, and the weather is great (77 deg) so I am all ready to drive the car a little this weekend and then I see this...

I don't plan to do too much driving but is this even safe to take out on the road? I just don't want to destroy the car before I have a chance to fix it but I would love to take it for a spin

user posted image
obscurity
well that image a was little larger than I had planned for but...
grasshopper
is that the right side rear suspension console?? I cant tell by the pic, but its it cracked?? If it is, i highly suggest that you dont drive it. It could tear off when driving.... mabey you could take a better picture?? what about the longs??? need more info
Hammy
wink.gif
Gint
JZS

Try this...

I'd fix that before I drove it too much.
Allan
Definitely needs to be fixed....
SirAndy
looks like it's already rusted through ... (see pic) ...

take a big screwdriver to it. don't be gentle. if there is any kind of rust other than surface rust, DONT drive the car ...

that's your rear suspension mount. if it brakes while driving, you're dead ...

fix it! that part is available from restauration design ... welder.gif

also, having rust there usually means there more rust coming your way. how does the rest of the tub look like ????
cool_shades.gif Andy
scotty b
Definitely do not drive on that! To be totally honest, you're most likely going to be extremely bummed at what you find under there when you go to replace it sad.gif
obscurity
I'm debating whether I can do this myself but can anybody recommend a good shop to do a hell hole repair in or near Atlanta (aside from Automobile Atlanta or are they the best choice)?
SirAndy
ooops, would help to *attach* a pic ...

obscurity
also, having rust there usually means there more rust coming your way. how does the rest of the tub look like ????

to be perfectly honest the rest of the car is pretty good. The battery rust is bad but I didn't think it was unfixable. Is there anyone around atlanta that might want to take a look at it and give me a prognosis?
scotty b
it is a nasty nasty job that requires some good welding and precise placement. Remember this is what ytour suspension arm bolts to so it must be well secured and properly placed. Any metal that is suspect underneath the console will also need to be replaced. Engine/trans needs to be dropped as does the whole suspension on that side.
watsonrx13
You can replace it, if you're prepared. I replaced mine, but you'll have to remove the engine and the right side suspension. Remove the console (drill out all of the spot-welds), order a replacement from www.restoration-design.com, then weld it back in.

Here's a link to my website that documents the procedures I followed.

Also, here's what mine looked like before. As you can see, it evidently broke before and the PO just welded it up.

Good luck.... smile.gif

BTW, DO NOT DRIVE IT UNTIL YOU HAVE IT REPAIRED.

-- Rob
Air_Cooled_Nut
Rob,
AWESOME WEB SITE! The photographs, the explainations, great work!!
pray.gif
This is a project I'm eventually going to need to do (when I get the $$$ for parts) and your steps really help me visualize what I'll need to do. Adds to my confidence level. I'm a good hobby welder, I'm just a little intimidated by this deep work.

Don't move your web site or lose it, I've got it bookmarked!
Air_Cooled_Nut
Rob,
What are your steps for removing the paint and getting that great, bare metal look?

Edit: Nevermind, it's here: http://www.tampabay914.com/7491412262004.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.