Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: used rebuilt trans price
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ws91420
I am looking at a used transmission that has a fairly fresh rebuild (less than 300 miles) according to the shop. The shop said that synchros have been refreshed(need to get a definition on that one) and first gear replaced (need to check if they mean dogteeth). The deal is $750 and my disassembled trans that I havedone some work to but don't have the time to get it reassembled.

So opinions are welcomed is this a good deal or not?

Also this shop does have experience w/ Porsches and other euro cars
olav
So they get a transmission and $750.00?

And you get a transmission with questions?

Hmmm...

idea.gif

Why don't they reassemble your tranny?
ws91420
That is an option but still price would be about the same and my first gear is questionable. The guy I have talked to seems like a straight shooter he started his business working on high end cars in a one stoplight podunk town and it has thrived. Can't survive in a town like that if you treat people badly. The trans came from a car that he did a six conversion on.
dweymer
you can survive in a town like that easier than a large city with many alternatives......
ws91420
I can't believe no one has an opinion if this is a good deal or not.
SGB
wll this guy guarentee his work? How long? I believe "redbeard" (James something) will rebuild it with genuine reliability for about that price. Does the$ include engine drop and trans replacement itself?
drewvw

I've found the opposite effect with mechanics, contractors, etc in the city. With so many people around, they can screw people over and jack up the prices and just move on to the next victim....
ws91420
Price is for the low mileage trans itself. I would be installing it. He would get my dissambled trans as a core and a I will still have the trans that I have in the car as a spare possible future rebuildwhen I have the time and space to do it.
bondo
If he used new bearings, he'd be losing money.. You get what you pay for. It'll probably be ok, but don't expect it to last as long as a $2k rebuilt.
gregrobbins
Probably a refreshed transmission, but if the shop has a good reputation and will work with you if there are problems, then you should be OK. If I was comfortable with the shop, I would do it.

If the transmission in the car now is OK, why do you want to change it?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Hey man,
Red-beard (James Tomlinson) and I used to do "refreshing" of trannies for $750 with exchange. This included:
Using used, but still servicable parts like sliders, flipped synchro bands, dog teeth, bearings, etc.

If a customer wanted new parts then they would by them and we would replace them. James did this for longer then I and taught me everything that I know. I have done over 20 now and find the description of the one you are looking at to be kinda wishy-washy.

I would expect for that price they would leave any parts that were passable alone, and would have flipped the synchro bands. If you want a tranny like that then fine, but there is a good chance that it will be needing some attention in a few thousand miles.

I do not now for sure, but I would be leary. If you want your tranny rebuilt and to be able to dictate what gets done and what is ok PM me and I can hook you up. I still rebuild trannies on the side and have many sources for less expensive new parts.
jr91472
I agree with Dr Evil. There is a reason people say "refreshed vs rebuilt".

That price seems typical, but I would definetly want some amount of warranty for $750 (maybe 6 months) in case something catastrophic happened once you installed.

For example, about 2 years ago I was exactly where you are and spent about the same amount of money your are talking about on a "newer" gear box from a seasoned mechanic with tons of 914 experience.

The transmission ran great for about 60 miles when the expansion bolt backed out of the pinion shaft ruining the bolt and drilling a hole in the rear cover. Shit happens right? confused24.gif Fortunately for me the mechanic stood by his work and supplied the replacement parts which I installed myself (actually took the entire thing apart and started over with the help of this club).

If I had it to do all over again, I would have simply "refreshed" the box myself and saved a lot of time and money. I am no mechanic and can say that working on a transmission is NOT impossible. Check red-beard's site for a great article. Also, there is a great link in the classics section of this site. Anyone can flip syncro's and file slider teeth which is probably (as Dr Evil stated) what "refreshed" means. Save your $750 for new bearings......

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! beer.gif

ws91420
My issue is time and a place to work on it. The transmission has been apart for about a year now and is aprox. a hour and a half from where I currently live. The trans in the car is having first gear problems and the one I have to put back together I'm not entirley sure about the first gear. I asked for help last year on reassmbley but felt like I got shot down for asking.
Katmanken
Replacing gear parts and synchros is easy. Kinda like putting beads on a string (or shaft in this case). Hardest part is making sure you put them back in the same order and orientation. When you are done, you spend money for parts you need, not for labor.

Ken
sgomes
Just my 2cents:

Run away from that thing as fast as you can. If you have $750 to throw around like that, go to Vegas. You would have a much better chance there of spending your $750 wisely.

I've BTDT.

My guess about that transmission:

1) The sycro's have been replaced so it will feel nice and tight (for a short while)
2) It's a 30 year old tranny - the dog teeth are crap.
3) It's a 30 year old tranny - the bearings (no way were those replaced) have about another 10 minutes of life left in them.
4) It's a 30 year old tranny - the bearing race in the case is spinning for sure.

Just my 2cents.
olav
QUOTE (ws91420 @ Mar 11 2006, 07:48 AM)
My issue is time and a place to work on it. The transmission has been apart for about a year now and is aprox. a hour and a half from where I currently live. The trans in the car is having first gear problems and the one I have to put back together I'm not entirley sure about the first gear. I asked for help last year on reassmbley but felt like I got shot down for asking.

I found these two threads with questions and I don't see where there was anything to suggest being shot down.

thread one

thread two

confused24.gif
jimkelly
We should - kidnap - um - I mean pickup - Dr. Evil for a weekend - we'll leave a note for his little lady that he is at the library studying - now for the ransom - he gets set free once he makes as many good trannys as he can out of my 8 trannys that I have sitting on shelves in my garage and the one known bad but useable tranny that is in my driver. If this is in violation to some rediculous east coast law - please let me know before I rent the van.

popcorn[1].gif

* bottom line - take the good Dr. up on his offer and you won't be sorry.
scottb
i am undergoing my trany service with the good doctor at present.

gayfight.gif

he has a pleasant bedside manner and will listen to you your needs..... i recommend his services.....

in normal speak, the boy knows what he is doing!

cheers,

scott
Joe Bob
In the past...I just picked up used trannies, slammed my new LSD in and beat the crap out of it and had axtra one laying around....I used RedBeard once and that trans is in SKLINES V8 car.....

So.....roll the dice.

I pulled my 915 apart...my first attempt at replacing stuff I broke and it went pretty smoothly. I guess I'm not as dumb as I look.

Personally I would talk to RedBeard and do the UPS thing.....pack it GOOD....those apes can fuck any thing up....they broke mine coming AND going....had insurance and they still took MONTHS to pay up.
jim_hoyland
Dr. Evil did mine and I would recommend listening to him
ws91420
QUOTE (olav @ Mar 11 2006, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (ws91420 @ Mar 11 2006, 07:48 AM)
My issue is time and a place to work on it. The transmission has been apart for about a year now and is aprox. a hour and a half from where I currently live.  The trans in the car is having first gear problems and the one I have to put back together I'm not entirley sure about the first gear.   I asked for help last year on reassmbley but felt like I got shot down for asking.

I found these two threads with questions and I don't see where there was anything to suggest being shot down.

thread one

thread two

confused24.gif

The thread in question was regarding last year East Coast Cookout(I didn't start the thread but posted on it). I asked if I could send up my trans for reassembly with someone as I was not going to be able to attend and I felt like it was an imposition to ask even though I had volunteers to take it there.
Dr Evil
I remember that. I must have missunderstood as it sounded like you were looking for someone to rebuild your tranny at the WCC. I was the guest tranny guy and was already booked to do a tear down of one of Kerry's trannies for a teaching session. I also did not have the time to fix it there (as I understood it) as I am in med school currently. Like I said PM me and I can see if I can help you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.