Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 Oil level when cold & dip stick question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Went out to tinker on the car and thought, hey, I have a new dip stick to replace the piece of piano wire that was in the tank. dry.gif

Pulled out the wire and tried to get the dip stick in.

Is it supposed to just slide in nice and easy?

There seems to be a couple of bends it needs to make that makes it bind up. Didn't want to screw it up so I backed off.

Also, what should the oil level be when completely cold?

I know it's supposed to be checked when the motor is running and warm but shouldn't it register at least some?
Aaron Cox
i *think* it has to be running becasue if stopped, some oil is free to drain back into the motor... thus giving you a falsely low reading...

piano wire laugh.gif did it have marks with a sharpie on it? laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Any measurement of the oil level in the tank when it's cold is absolutely meaningless. Much of the oil flows into the sump over a period of a few hours, maybe more, and there is very little in the tank. The Cap'n
goose2
a little downward bend in the end of the stick will help it around the corners....and yes, don't even bother checking it not running.
Allan
Thanks guys....

Gotta wash it and take er for a spin... driving.gif
JoeSharp
Allan: I hope this helps, there is some sort of marking at where the pen is pointing. I think that is the low mark.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Joe Bob
Running, oil HOT and thermostat open on LEVEL ground.....seeing oil on the stick is good...too much and you kill bugs when it gets sucked into the intake......remember you got almost 12 quarts in the system....you'll notice if you loose it. dry.gif
olav
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 11 2006, 11:00 AM)
Allan: I hope this helps, there is some sort of marking at where the pen is pointing. I think that is the low mark.

Where do you get one of those? I have one but it looks like it's been brased or something. Is that normal?

JoeSharp
QUOTE (olav @ Mar 11 2006, 12:02 PM)
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 11 2006, 11:00 AM)

Where do you get one of those? I have one but it looks like it's been brased or something. Is that normal?

Olav: It came with a -6.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.