Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this years Tire pick??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Hi,
So for my kids car,,,the aubergine one, what are the best all around street tires, there will be zero autocross, and no track, purely street.
Year round.

I put the Yokohamas on my car...way to slippery when cold, so those are out for him...

I am looking for a decent year round tire, mud and snow...snow is key..

Good tread wear rating...not to much money...like 80-90 a piece...

Prefer V rated tires.

Rich
Aaron Cox
No ax... and stick when cold?

i love my yoko AVS es 100's....

kumho ecstas are supposed to be ok

falken azeni's suck on water.......
seanery
I went for BFG TA KDWS on whitey, but haven't been able to put any miles on them yet.

Sets the all-season benchmark for ultra-high performance tires. With remarkable wet/snow traction, excellent dry traction, long treadlife, and a smooth, quiet ride -- even at speed. W-speed rated (up to 168 mph).

Remarkable wet/snow traction
Excellent dry traction
Long treadlife and a smooth, quiet ride  
alpha434
Hmmm.... How about those Michelin Pilots? I've got a set of those for when I'm done with my 5 lug conversion. They aren't the best for snow though, so I've got chains. Which might be a good idea to give your son anyway, regardless of the tire quality. Don't want to get him stuck somewhere.
seanery
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 11 2006, 02:19 PM)
Hmmm.... How about those Michelin Pilots? I've got a set of those for when I'm done with my 5 lug conversion. They aren't the best for snow though, so I've got chains. Which might be a good idea to give your son anyway, regardless of the tire quality. Don't want to get him stuck somewhere.

That's a summer tire...TireRack calls it Max Performance - Summer. Massachussetts has much more diverse weather (than summer). The kid needs an all-season performance tire. And look at his price point.
r_towle
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 11 2006, 02:08 PM)

Aaron, take no offense to the next statement,I always appreciate your opinion,,, but cold in the Northeast and Cold in CA are two different things...

I just went and checked my car
I went with the reccomended Yokohama AVS ES100 205/50/15 tires on my car..which has a very stiff suspension..

They absolutely SUCK in the cold or wet.
They are frightfully slippery in the morning...Once I have driven 10 minutes, the tire is great..but before that, they SUCK...

And snow, forget it...the hoosiers are about the same in the snow...seriously I could not get out of my own way this past winter...

BF Goodrich tires are like 150 each...to much..

Rich
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (r_towle @ Mar 11 2006, 12:28 PM)

Aaron, take no offense to the next statement,I always appreciate your opinion,,, but cold in the Northeast and Cold in CA are two different things...

I went with the reccomended Yokohama AVS ES100 205/50/15 tires on my car..which has a very stiff suspension..

They are frightfully slippery in the morning...Once I have driven 10 minutes, the tire is great..but before that, they SUCK...

And snow, forget it...the hoosiers are about the same in the snow...seriously I could not get out of my own way this past winter...

Rich

hah! i wont take offense .....

we can drive on slicks here in the winter... as there is almost never rain tongue.gif

alpha434
QUOTE (seanery @ Mar 11 2006, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 11 2006, 02:19 PM)

That's a summer tire...TireRack calls it Max Performance - Summer. Massachussetts has much more diverse weather (than summer). The kid needs an all-season performance tire. And look at his price point.

I live in COLO-flippin-RADO.

And yeah, I know it's a summer rated tire. Michelin just released an all weather version too. I don't know about the price of them. I get tires for free. 750 a set? That's not terrible. My 914 cost a thou!

Now the point was that "all-weather" isn't neccessarily the best. That's why I mentioned the chains. You could always get your son some steelies and some studded tires for the winter. It's a pain in the ass to do in the morning or whenever, but it's worth it when it comes to safety.
seanery
what size Rich?
I paid less than a hundred per for mine (205/55/16)
r_towle
Im on tire rack right now...these

Is that the one...I dont find the KDWS anywhere

r_towle
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 11 2006, 02:31 PM)

Rich

we can drive on slicks here in the winter... as there is almost never rain tongue.gif

If you ever get your car running again...go out on a nice cold 40 degree morning and push the car hard right out of the driveway...you will feel the difference between that and ten minutes later...

And the probelm goes up exponentially from 40-20 degrees...they are like rocks...

Rich
seanery
QUOTE (r_towle @ Mar 11 2006, 02:35 PM)

This is what I have
seanery

I think those would do well for a teener in a teener biggrin.gif
It looks like the tire I bought is for 16" only, so if you're running stock 15s the Traction T/A looks pretty decent.
r_towle
QUOTE (seanery @ Mar 11 2006, 02:37 PM)

This is what I have

but there are no 15 inch ones...at least not any more...

Rich
Tom Perso
How about some Sumitomo HR200's for the summer (very mild all season tire) for $40 or so each. They should do *OK* in the snow, but I would recommend a set of Yoko IceGaurds or Blizzaks on some steel rims.

Tom
r_towle
195, 55 15...does that work...never heard of that size
alpha434
QUOTE (r_towle @ Mar 11 2006, 11:37 AM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 11 2006, 02:31 PM)

Rich

If you ever get your car running again...go out on a nice cold 40 degree morning and push the car hard right out of the driveway...you will feel the difference between that and ten minutes later...

And the probelm goes up exponentially from 40-20 degrees...they are like rocks...

Rich

What? Your son doesn't know how to get his tires warm???
seanery
I ran 195/60/15 on fuchs and loved them. 195/55 should be ok, rpms will be up on the freeway, but that's better for cooling. Should be a decent size.
r_towle
its what they have...

40 bucks each...nice price..

Rich
Tom Perso
Those Sumitomo's I have on the 914 were 195/60's.

Also, the Kuhmo 732 Touring looks good, it's an all season, comes in 195/60, will handle light snow, and they're $39 from the Tirerack.

user posted image

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.