Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First autox
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
robby750
I'm thinking of entering my first auto x on the 19th of this month. I've got stock front sway bar, 110lb rear springs, stock torsion bars, Bilsteins,and Falken 195-60 tires. What's a good tire pressure to start with? Any other advice?
Aaron Cox
just go have fun... worry about tire pressures later tongue.gif

seanery
agree.gif just concentrate on keepin' it between the cones! driving.gif
bd1308
SWEET! Lemme know how it turns out. I wanna do the same thing someday.

b
jimtab
Just remember the one who keeps their wheels the straightest wins the damn thing...oh and go fast.... biggrin.gif
gregrobbins
Who your gonna run with?

Heck, it doesn't matter. I have run with PCA, SCCA, and Club Race Arizona. There will be tons of people there who will be really glad to see and meet you. They will also help with your car and give lots of advice and suggestions. Watch who is running fast and ask for some ride alongs. Especially try to ride with a teener pilot or two to get a feel how the cars behave and watch the lines.

Mostly, go, have fun and let us know about your experience. smilie_pokal.gif
robby750
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Mar 11 2006, 12:03 PM)
Who your gonna run with?

Especially try to ride with a teener pilot or two to get a feel how the cars behave and watch the lines. 911s are tail draggers and they will take different lines in come corners as will front motor cars.

It will be SCCA. Teener pilot?? I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one. I've been to watch a few events before, never seen another 914.
anthony
Unless you are already running a high street pressure I'd pump them up 5-8 pounds more than usual. The cornering forces are greater than you find on the street and you can scrub the sidewalls on an underinflated tire.

The usual things they check in tech beforehand are:

front wheel bearings (don't want too much play)
battery hold down clamp
throttle return spring

Check those things on your own.

Other things to do the day before:

Vacate your car of everything that isn't bolted down - including floor mats, change in your ashtray, sunglasses, papers, etc. It's easier to do this at home. (Your car will never be cleaner!)

You'll have to take everything out of the car for runs and a large duffle bag is nice to keep all your stuff organized and prevent it from blowing around the parking lot.

You can top up the oil a little bit (1/2 quart at most) above the full mark on the dipstick.

Make sure the car has enough fuel to last the whole day. 1/2 to 3/4 tank is fine. You don't want to waste time in the morning looking for fuel or embarassingly run out of fuel at the event.

Don't forget:

Sunscreen, a hat, food and snacks, water, cash, etc.

Most importantly at the event get an instructor to ride with you. And take rides in instructor cars.
gregrobbins
QUOTE (robby750 @ Mar 11 2006, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Mar 11 2006, 12:03 PM)
Who your gonna run with?

Especially try to ride with a teener pilot or two to get a feel how the cars behave and watch the lines. 911s are tail draggers and they will take different lines in come corners as will front motor cars.

It will be SCCA. Teener pilot?? I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one. I've been to watch a few events before, never seen another 914.

In that case, look for a Boxster. There are usually a couple at SCCA events, and some 911s.

Walk the course with an experienced driver/instructor. First time out is to learn, make friends and have fun. At SCCA events there are lots of newer cars, and everyone wants to come over and talk to you about your older car. They will be surprised how quick you will go with so little power. First six times out you will run in the Novice group, with a really wide range of cars. You will be way down on power, but you will probably finish mid pack for time.

You will have a blast. driving.gif
race914

Good book to help you get prepared, things to bring, etc

Have fun!

driving.gif
Bleyseng
1st run- drive the course fairly fast but find your way around without missing any gates

2nd run- drive faster and really try to get some speed thru the corners finishing strong

3d run- ok, this go faster!

4th run- Drive it like you stole it and the back of the car is on fire!!!if you spin out no big deal as you have atleast one completed run for time.
lapuwali
Yes, have fun. Don't worry about car setup until you have a few events under your belt.

Most people see a course the first time as just a sea of cones. Walk the course, and squat from time to time to visualize what each major corner looks like from the driver's seat, rather than standing up. Memorize that. That's the first skill any AX driver needs to learn.
Aaron Cox
take your seat cushion out, as the bolsters will hold you inbetter.

aslo....

have fun tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.