Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sheridan wide body kit for the street?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
so, lately, i have been thinking ...

i HAVE TO put my car on scotts celette bench to get it straightened out.
more likely than not, the FG bodywork will crack in the process.
then there's the issue of fitting more rubber under those fenders with the 3.6L.
i had no trouble spinning the 9" goodyear schlicks with the ~120HP 2056. with the 3.6L it'll be worse for sure ...

so, anyone here who has made the sheridan widebody kit work for the street ???
i imagine it would take some fabbing, as the hoods are part of the panels and would have to be cut out.
how about taillights and front blinkers?

am i nuts?
screwy.gif Andy

user posted image

user posted image

Mueller
i'd opt for the narrower version....it's still wider than a GT flared 914....
Dave_Darling
Yes, it is nuts Andy. But in a good way! I say "go for it". smile.gif

What happened to your car that it needs the Celette bench? I missed that...

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 11 2006, 02:59 PM)
What happened to your car that it needs the Celette bench? I missed that...

DAPO ...

i guess there was a reason for all that fiberglass work. insurance money after the accident. he should have spend the $$$ to get the tub straightened out, but i guess GT flares and 916 bumpers were more cool ...
headbang.gif

tub is tweaked. twisted front/rear. suspension is off left/right by almost 1" ...
ohmy.gif

so, back to square one it is ...
beer3.gif Andy

PS: hey Mü, why narrow body? i'm thinking, go wide the first time, so i don't have to do it again in 3 years ...
Andyrew
Get the narrow body....

No need to put 13+in wide wheels on your car...

And you would have to run rediculous spacers to get any of the new car wheels to fit...

I have to run 2in on the rear just for my turbo twists (18x10's) to be right....

Andrew
J P Stein
Look at that project F/S over in the classifieds
in the race car section. Those Shreidan parts aren't cheep....
nice tho.
Aaron Cox
im sure ahndy can get a better deal by walking up to roger sheridna... no shippin then...

AHNDY... DO IT. it will look KILLER

narrow or wide.... choice is yours smile.gif

AA
Joe Bob
Make sure your papers are in order when yanked over by the PD.....cop catcher for sure.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 11 2006, 03:11 PM)
And you would have to run rediculous spacers to get any of the new car wheels to fit...

barf.gif

me likes "deep-dish" wheels ... got 100mm wheel studs front/rear. so no worries there ...

Those Shreidan parts aren't cheep

agreed. i would have to spend a few bucks ...
but it IS tempting ...

idea.gif Andy
McMark
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

How about a tilt up front end for suspension work/trunk access?
Andyrew
You no likey hph flares?

What size tires you thinking of running... and wheels..

For the street?

Aaron Cox
MHO

all fiberglass or NO fg panels.... HPH look blah barf.gif
Andyrew
I dont get what your saying Aaron..

blink.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 11 2006, 04:39 PM)
I dont get what your saying Aaron..

blink.gif

a whole fg quarter.... or no fg at all...

none of this hang it and screw it on...

basiaclly - i dont like the HPH flare... because it isnt meant to blend in...
it sits on top of the fender...... behind the the sail panel.....

fine for a racecar... fugly for a streeter.....

if it replaces a hwole quarter thats cool...

the seam 'tween steel and fg is fugly....
McMark
Aaron, fiberglass GT flares are blended all the time, why can't HPH flares?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 11 2006, 04:59 PM)

never seen it done smile.gif

all the stes ive seen are designed to 'hang' onto the lip behind the sail panel.....

looks kinda lame witha quarter inch 'jump' from the body to the fg panel...

why not make it blend in all the way at the taillights and door jambs?
J P Stein
The HPH flares are supposed to replace the whole rear quarter......the problem is they don't fit....not even close.
Ya gotta hack em' to get em' on the car.
JB 914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 11 2006, 04:54 PM)

basiaclly - i dont like the HPH flare... because it isnt meant to blend in...
it sits on top of the fender...... behind the the sail panel.....

fine for a racecar... fugly for a streeter.....

agree.gif

in fact, i will have my car redone with all new rear FG quarter panels. anyone wanna buy some fugly HPH flares?
Howard
Andy, I think it looks great. You've never seen Moby, but PO did one super job blending the fg with the steel. Only way I can tell the seam location is with a magnet. But The Sheridan is more integrated/modern/whatever looking.

Howard
One more. 265's on the back. I can spin em, but my 901 is not amused.
Howard
Front with 245's.
Jeroen
I fear you're gonna spend more on wheels and tires than on bodyparts/work
hmeeder
anyone wanna buy some fugly HPH flares?

Mmmm, maybe I do. Are they really that bad? I love the look of J Ps car, but it sounds like he also battled with fitment issues and I've heard of others. (And Aaron's opinion is pretty much just there so he knows that we know that he had one dry.gif ) Howard's car is beautiful.

PM me when you get to that point, JB. Maybe a picture or 2 so I know what the problem is.

I'm going to run and hide now. Everytime I bring up flare ideas, I get shit on.

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(hmeeder @ Mar 11 2006, 06:51 PM)
anyone wanna buy some fugly HPH flares?

Mmmm, maybe I do. Are they really that bad? I love the look of J Ps car, but it sounds like he also battled with fitment issues and I've heard of others. (And Aaron's opinion is pretty much just there so he knows that we know that he had one dry.gif ) Howard's car is beautiful.

PM me when you get to that point, JB. Maybe a picture or 2 so I know what the problem is.

I'm going to run and hide now. Everytime I bring up flare ideas, I get shit on.

herb - my opinion is useless apparently....

ive seen buckle's car... and ive seen at leat 5 others with HPH flares.....in person.

they are like 1/4" thick and are designed to sit ON TOP of the rear fender....
just an opinion.

geez
Dr. Roger
the whole body kit ain't cheap but you know that. someone was selling theirs for about 5K last month. maybe cheaper now?

the wide body kit is freakin' W I D E...

my standard sheridan rears can pack 12" rubber easily.

if you go wide body i'll be the first in line to salute you. cool.gif smilie_pokal.gif

my rear quarters were VERY affordable. $250.
a new set of 18X8 and 11" hollow spoke twisties were not very affordable. $1700 with new Pilot Sports.
J P Stein
1/8 thick for the race versions....but prolly don't fit no better.
It didn't bother me none to cut & paste. Every FG piece I've ever put on (with the exception of the Sheridan hoods) got the same treatment.
byndbad914
no doubt my feedback is one-sided wink.gif Go with the Sheridan kit. I have the standard kit on my car and it it very streetable EXCEPT for the front spoiler area on steep driveways, but any decent spoiled front end on a 914 will want to scrape on a steep incline (like pulling into a gas station with a good incline). Even at an aggressive driving angle I have scraped the front corner. But I also had one of those air dams on the car before the conversion that had the rubber lower piece and it was beat to hell from scraping for the same reasons.

So, easy to fix - don't pull into aggressively ramped driveways. I have driven the car on the street a few times before stipping it back down and never hit the front by being selective on where I entered parking lots. For every steep driveway, there is typically a not-so-steep one around the corner. Never hit just driving around, even on a rough street.

And the Sheridan kit has great lines - much smoother than the GT stuff. Also can check my site - I cut the area out where the turn signals go and fit the stock assemblies in there. They slip in and out so I can remove the front end at the track, but you could fix them to be held in place like the stock vehicle.

I have "deep dish" wheels on the car as well and with no spacers, the 15x8-1/2" (only 4" backspace!) wheels with 245-50-15s fit really well and put 9" of rubber on the ground. The 245-50-15 Hoosiers hit the lips because they are wider (cantilever tire) so I had to trim them just a bit.

With deeper back spacing I could have easily had 10" rubber on the front and 11" rear. The "wide body" doesn't add a whole lot more room surprisingly - I think you can get 11s on the front and 12s on the rear, so only about another 1" IIRC. The wide body is slick if you get the one piece front and rear with integrated lids (assuming you never want to put your top in the trunk again.

For the tube car, I am probably going with 15x8 fronts and 15x10 rears (NASCAR wheels) with the 245-50-15s front 275-50-15 rears.

Roger is in Paso Robles, so an easy drive for you NorCal guys. Hell I drove from LA just to take pix of his car. And he is a great guy to talk to.

Bill (wberthgo) has a std kit on his V8 he streets all the time as well.

This pic is between engine swaps (why the rear is so high) and with BFG radials - you can see the deep wheels and 9" rubber fit no problem on the standard kit.
hmeeder
Aaron poke.gif Just meant some light sarcasm at your expense. Didn't mean anything by it, sorry.

This site has gotten so sensitive lately, myself included.

Back to lurking.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(hmeeder @ Mar 11 2006, 07:05 PM)
Aaron poke.gif Just meant some light sarcasm at your expense. Didn't mean anything by it, sorry.

This site has gotten so sensitive lately, myself included.

Back to lurking.

i guess i read it wrong... my bad boldblue.gif
Howard
Andy, why don't you just do it right...

kevgentile
unless you are going to mold the targa bar into the rear section for the wide version i would go with the standard kit. otherwise, you will have the overlap of the quarters on the targa bar. i have the wide version (for the track only) and wish i had bought the standard version, much cheaper, just as effective, and easier to mount to a tub car. unless you have sick horsepower the wide is an overkill. sheridan only went that wide because that was gt2's max track width and was neccessary to compete against other monster tube frame gt2 cars. it is awesome looking though aktion035.gif
Brett W
The Sheridan wide body kit is designed to take advantage of the SCCA Gt rules that allow a maximum track width of 60in. For a stock chassis your would need some huge spacers and some really deep offset wheels. Now the problem with doing this is on a strut car you end up creating a massive amount of scrub radius. By doing this the car can get harder to drive. You would be better off going with the narrow body kit so the proportions stay in line.

Now I really want to build my street car to use that body work. Have both halves hinged on the ends so that I can open it up like a 550. The wide body is one sexy ass body kit. It would look cool as hell.
Eric Taylor
I say go for the kit! it's killer. Your car is going to be bad ass aktion035.gif . Is that 901 going to be able to handle the rubber under the the sheridan kit?

Eric
SirAndy
QUOTE(Howard @ Mar 11 2006, 06:23 PM)
Andy, why don't you just do it right...

ah, you tease ...

i would sell my firstborn for a 904 ...
wub.gif Andy
VegasRacer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 11 2006, 08:32 PM)
i would sell my firstborn for a 904 ...
wub.gif Andy

This one is for sale. The price is 70K for an almost finished Beck kit.
IPB Image
IPB Image
wbergtho
Hey Andy,

I run a Sheridan Standard body on the street and have 18X8 & 18X10's on the car. I could probably get 11's on the rear. The wide body version is too wide for the street...unles you have 600+HP and need 12-13 wheels. Also, the wider the flairs stick out the more rock chips you pick up. I will have to treat my rear flairs with a thin clear protective film to keep the paint nice. I have about 4K on my car now and the rear flairs already need touching up. If you want your car to be obnoxiously over the top...go ahead with the wide body version. biggrin.gif

Bill

Mueller
Well, I guess the narrow Sheridan is not as wide as I thought it was....70.75" F and 72" R (not even an inch wider than a GT flared car)

Wide body is 76 F and 77 R

For comparison, a Chevy full size truck/SUV is 78.5"

You better learn how to drive that puppy if going that wide...I see a lot of curb "encounters" with the super wide version....
Andyrew
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 11 2006, 05:37 PM)
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 11 2006, 04:59 PM)

never seen it done smile.gif

all the stes ive seen are designed to 'hang' onto the lip behind the sail panel.....

looks kinda lame witha quarter inch 'jump' from the body to the fg panel...

why not make it blend in all the way at the taillights and door jambs?

Ehem..

Thats what im doing..

Dont playa hate!
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 11 2006, 04:17 PM)
You no likey hph flares?

What size tires you thinking of running... and wheels..

For the street?

how much wider can you go with the HPH flares compared to standard GT flares???

by the way, i'm pretty sure the HPH flares where never designed for a "clean", seemless install....they are direct copies from his race car, if you take a close look at a set of new HPH flares you'll see the negative impressions of the hardware holding the original flares onto the car......

a person is silly thinking any of these 'glass parts are going to fit without a bunch of work.....want simple bolt-on fenders??? buy a Honda smile.gif
Andyrew
Well.. I measured 11.75in from the smallest part of the flare (that would touch the tire, in the back) on the inside to inside.. It had around a 1/2 in of lip that I could have grounded off.. (damn flare is like 1/4-1/2 in thick around the lip!)

therefore you could fit a total of 11.75in of tire.. technically.. the way I insalled them..

thesey914
Andy I think your car already looks superb -why not just spend the money on steel flares? confused24.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 12 2006, 02:27 AM)
Well.. I measured 11.75in from the smallest part of the flare (that would touch the tire, in the back) on the inside to inside.. It had around a 1/2 in of lip that I could have grounded off.. (damn flare is like 1/4-1/2 in thick around the lip!)

therefore you could fit a total of 11.75in of tire.. technically.. the way I insalled them..

so it seems not much more room than a standard GT flare then....all they offer is an alternatve look/style over the GT flare ??
balljoint
I say go for it. With the tilt nose and rear for easy access. smile.gif

Elliot_Cannon
I think the wide body would be great for the street. Paint it red. And maybe a big white stripe. Then keep your eye out for the "man" cause he'll have his eye on you. "Licence and registration please". Actually I have always wanted to see a wide body kit on the street. I say,"go for it".
Elliot
Howard
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Mar 11 2006, 08:32 PM)
Hey Andy,

I run a Sheridan Standard body on the street and have 18X8 & 18X10's on the car. I could probably get 11's on the rear. The wide body version is too wide for the street...unles you have 600+HP and need 12-13 wheels. Also, the wider the flairs stick out the more rock chips you pick up. I will have to treat my rear flairs with a thin clear protective film to keep the paint nice. I have about 4K on my car now and the rear flairs already need touching up. If you want your car to be obnoxiously over the top...go ahead with the wide body version. biggrin.gif

Bill

Bill, nice car!!! Hear you on the rock chips. But that's what I mean about the 'one piece' look. hijack..

Look at the radiused rear wheel wells on the 904. The squared off look of the 914, not to bad with standard fenders, IMO looks odd with the flares. Has anyone tried this with a little fender lip? C'mon you photoshoppers, pimp my ride. I think it would be an improvement with any flares.

pic edited for size..
wbergtho
Hey Howard,

Your cars looks extra fat dude. aktion035.gif Nice car as well. Great color. Now, just a few questions: What motor? I assume a Ford small block 5.0 ltr ?? and how much HP and what trans? Sorry about my hijack people.

Bill
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 12 2006, 05:28 AM)
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 12 2006, 02:27 AM)

so it seems not much more room than a standard GT flare then....all they offer is an alternatve look/style over the GT flare ??

not just looks, maybe more aerodynamic too....
JB 914
I really like that kit Andy. I don't know if you need the really wide one though. i saw one in LA that was the smaller one and it had some big ass tires on the back.

go for it, it would look great!
nomore9one4
Just my 2 cents... the Sheridan kit is probably the coolest kit made for the 914. Its the one I wanted to use, but it just was not in the budget for the Eastcoast. Good luck with YOUR decision. driving.gif
Howard
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Mar 12 2006, 09:03 AM)
Hey Howard,

Your cars looks extra fat dude. aktion035.gif Nice car as well. Great color. Now, just a few questions: What motor? I assume a Ford small block 5.0 ltr ?? and how much HP and what trans? Sorry about my hijack people.

Bill

Thx, Bill. 305 SBC 30 over, Keith Black pistons, Crane cam, yada. 901, no problems to date. Color is Kenmore 'Appliance White' biggrin.gif

Back on the off topic, if we radiused the rear wheel wells, those huge flares wouldn't need to be so huge... Think Andy's car would respond to that very well and avoid most of the glass work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.