Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WW pics/ ramblings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drewvw

Here are some more pics of the car. Now that its been driven for week or so, its starting to run alot better. There is one nasty rust spot at the bottom of the passenger side firewall that I have to deal with.

Hell hole and longs have definitely been replaced, and they look like there still in good shape.

drove it around today sans targa with a buddy and no trouble with doors, flex, etc that I noticed. So that's good.

My neighbor saw it today and was like "I always wanted one of those". Good stuff. Here are the pics....
drewvw

front. Notice the POR-15 stuff to the side

drewvw

front shot...
drewvw

ooops
drewvw

interior. Note guage cluster on the floor. I have the original sales sheet, and the car came with the center console from the factory but it was removed at some point. Need to track that down...
drewvw

engine...not much to see here. Stock 1.7 but its got about 10K on rebuilt and a great exhaust. Car sounds nasty. I drove by my friedn house the other night and reeved the engine.

Two seconds later he texts me and says "nice growl"
drewvw

underside of the pans. Pretty clean for a northeastern car....
Aaron Cox
how is the long and hell hole?

looks like a nice car smilie_pokal.gif

and for reference -
you can also put these pics in your 'blog'. look beneath your posts... a button called blog.

start a new entry and post pictures, then you can hotlink em to your posts in the garage smile.gif

AA
drewvw
The longs and hell hole look pretty good to me. I ripped the carpets out the other night and the inner steel looks newer and strong.

Inside the fender well on passenger side I can see where somebody cut out a section and welded in a new one, but it looks like it was done right.

Original battery tray is rusty, but no holes and could still be used (battery relocated up front). Should I por-15 it or cut it out? Hell hole below was painted black after last repair. Looks okay and I put my hand in there and really tried to get it to flex, crack, break and nothing. Other side has factory paint on it.

Thanks for the blog tip. I will get on that!
Andyrew
Take off the rocker pannels and clean the longs...(get rid of all the dirt...)

and change the fuel lines to SS brake lines (located at your auto store)

Looks good!
drewvw

good call on the fuel lines. Asked the PO about that and he said he had them changed to plastic when he had the car redone. Bad?
McMark
They're plastic from the factory. confused24.gif
drewvw

I figured they would be steel from the factory....They aren't the originals but it sounds like I better put this in the project list.
Gint
There is no reason to replace fuel lines if the plastic is pliable and in good shape. Waste of time AND money.

Looks like a pretty decent 914. 'grats
beer.gif
rhcb914
Nice car! Looks like it's pretty clean.

I took mine out for a spin today. First day out of hybernation and she started right up and ran great!

I hope the weather stays nice.

Where in the Boston area are you?

drewvw

Where in the Boston area are you?

I live in west medford, right off rt 60. You?

its supposed to rain tomorrow i heard...
swl
QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 11 2006, 06:40 PM)
There is no reason to replace fuel lines if the plastic is pliable and in good shape. Waste of time AND money.

I gotta agree with Gint, particularly if the PO replaced them with OEN. I have my originals out for tub restoration and they seem just fine.

Only time to consider replacing them is if you move the fuel pump up front (frequently done to reduce vapour lock in hot climates). Even that seems to be optional but I don't like the thought of high pressure in those lines.

Where you do want to be careful is the high pressure segment. This goes from the output of the fuel pump to the return side of the pressure regulator. This part only runs at 28 psi but if anything is going to go wrong it is going to go wrong here. And of course a leak there is in the hot zone - engine fires have happened to a lot of folks. Really inspect this area - particularly the little elbows between the injectors and fuel rail. Mind you, if the PO replaced the the cabin lines you would have to think he would have done the entire system.

Porsche did a recall on these engines. The original engine bay fuel lines were cloth covered. The recall replaced them with shielded rubber. The chances of your car having survived with the original fuel lines is practically nill. But if you do see cloth covered fuel lines in there get 'em out real quick
rhcb914
I live in west medford, right off rt 60. You?

I live in Whitman, about 45 minutes south of the city. My car is garaged in Weston right now.

I used to live in Medford, right on the Fellsway but sold the place last June.

The weather today isn't looking too good. Good driving weather will be here soon enough.

We'll have to plan a Boston area get together soon.

Great to seen another 914 in the area!! smilie_pokal.gif

Rob
drewvw

Alright I'll have to check out the lines in more detail. I was under the car yesterday and looked at them coming out of the tunnel. They looked pretty good to me, all pretty new. Brake lines, clutch cables, etc as well.

The PO used to be a mechanic, so it looks like he did things the right way. I wonder about the fuel pump though. Ill listen to the hum and see where it is today.

I live in Whitman, about 45 minutes south of the city. My car is garaged in Weston right now.

ok sure. Yeah we definitely should go for a cruise some day. I got a couple other buddies with 924s that we could join up with too. There are so few 914s around here. I've seen a couple running around cambridge/somerville but thats about it.

rhcb914
we definitely should go for a cruise some day. I got a couple other buddies with 924s that we could join up with too.

Absolutely. The 924 is another cool car that you don't much anymore. One of my dream cars is the 924 Carrera GT wub.gif

drewvw

great! Lets give it a month or so to warm up and dry out and we are good to go. I'm still in "diagnositic mode" with my car.....

Yeah I like the 924s too. This one guy I know (not very well) just bought a '79 and is getting it on the road right now.

he's also got a '69 911T stashed away in melrose with 33K original miles. But I heard the car needs alot of rust work. Never seen it but sounds cool.....
rhcb914
Sound good. Let me know if you need a hand with the car. I'm in your area often and I work in Boston so Medford is not far off my beaten trail.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.