Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: 2-1/8" dia. holes in 0.5" AL manifold plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gary
Working on adapting a pair of Ninja 636 throttle bodies... They are on 75.6mm centers. There's a lip on the flange that will accomodate a 2" ID - 2 1/8" OD viton o-ring well. I have a couple 1/2" aluminum plates. Rather than going at them with a 2 1/8" hole saws, I figure the better solution is to see if someone has access to or can recommend a shop with a vertical mill or waterjet cutter.

Thnx!
Gary
Bump...

I know some of you guys do your own fab and machine work. How do you cut holes? Don't make me go at these plates with hole saws biggrin.gif .
r_towle
yup, hole saw and some good cutting oil...keep it really cool or the hole saw gums up fast.

Rich
Aaron Cox
laser cut? plasma? water jet?
Brian Mifsud
Depending on how hot you are to finish them, I'll have my Bridgeport set up and running in a couple of months. I'm in San Diego, north county...

Holesaw and lots of cutting oil sounds good to me if you are not looking for high precision (can't see why you'd need it..it's only airflow)

Gary
Thanks Brian - may take you up that. My folks are down in S.D.

Don't need high precision, but would like smooth walled holes. Throttle bodies will be o-ring sealed to the holes I make.
Mueller
I'm still debating whether to use an o-ring or just braze the throttle body to the plate.....my original idea of using the hose with clamp is not going to work as well as I thought it would due to interferance with the mounting hardware....
Gary
Eeuuwww... I would wonder/worry about warpage of the TB's. I was thinking set screws horizonally through the plate: front, back and 2 each side for a total of 6.
Mueller
QUOTE (Gary @ Mar 13 2006, 06:30 PM)
Eeuuwww... I would wonder/worry about warpage of the TB's. I was thinking set screws horizonally through the plate: front, back and 2 each side for a total of 6.

I also have an aluminum solder, it melts at 350° (not to be confused with the stuff sold at the county fair smile.gif ).....my throttle bodies are completly seperate from each other, more than likely I'll put two of them on a common plate
Porcharu
I would use the 2" hole saw and finish them off with a boring bar in a mill. Or just use the 2-1/8 hole saw and weld them in.
If you were in a pinch you could use a 2-1/8" roto-broach in a drill press - they make really nice holes. I would do it for you free if you bought the bit for me. Problem is they cost about $100 in that size.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.