Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Place to Vent Front Mounted Cooler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ok.... Where is the best place to vent the air in a fron t mounted cooler? The factory dumped it under the car. Is this the best place? What are the pros and cons?
fuch toy
If you don't mind the f/g bumpers with the oil cutout...or the fuglee 75-76 ones...there is room w/o having to cut the trunk bottom.
SirAndy
we had this topic before. i still think dumping alotta air under the car is a bad idea, it'll add additional lift.
i still like the "ferrari" style vent out up through the front hood.
i have seen several 914 racers using this and i think it makes perfect sense.
additional downforce instead of lift is a good thing.

Andy
StratPlayer
where mine is mounted
SirAndy
below is certaily not the prettiest example, but who cares about the looks on a race car?

but you get the idea ...
Andy
SirAndy
and here's a pic that shows how it could be covered nicely.
note, this is NOT a 914 wink.gif

IPB Image
Brad Roberts
The easiest cleanest way is by using a GT style cooler ducting. The hood method works well.. but isnt legal for anything but PCA events.

The front end of our cars have a natural downforce built in with the angle of the hood. Venting below the car doesnt create lift.

B
cha914
I always liked the idea of venting to the wheel wells ala patrick motorsports:

IPB Image

I will probably end up doing something similar.

Tony
fuch toy
Please blank out the "Patrick" labels when you post pics...it makes me ill... barf.gif
I have mine vented out the bottom ala the factory, and had a mechanic say that it was a poor choice. How about the hot air headed under the car toward the engine compartment? Does this add hot air back there? I find this unlikely....
Pnambic
I think I remember Brad mentioning previously that the air exiting from the hood might heat you up in the driver's seat as it would be going right over you. Is there anyone that can vouch for this from experience? Is it barely noticable or unbearable?
maf914
I would guess that the effect of the additional hot air from the cooler under the car is negligible. The cooling air for the engine is drawn in from the engine lid, where it is relatively cool, and discharged from the bottom of the engine. This is where the majority of engine cooling occurs. Although the engine sump is finned I would bet its cooling contribution is very small, compared to the forced air cooling of the cylinders and heads, so an increase in under car temp due to the oil cooler air won't make much difference.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.