Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift lever gone wrong
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pib
I've lurked long enough...time to join in.

I bought a '75 1.8 a few weeks ago...my first 914! I've been happily driving along ever since, with nothing more than a fuse to replace so far.

The car always shifted great, until yesterday. I was driving it home and noticed that the shifter had a little play in it (rotating just a little). By the time I got home, and went for reverse to back into the driveway, the whole lever had spun to the left, and spins freely now.

I took it apart today, and it looks like the shift lever is (or was) welded into the ball at the base of it.

Is this a common problem? Can it just be welded back together, or should I start looking for a replacement?
olav
I've never seen that.

But I just wanted to say

welcome.png
racergreg
Welcome, pib! smilie_pokal.gif

If I were you, I'd find a replacement shifter. Check out the local dismantlers, or put an WTB (want to buy) ad over on the classified section. I imagine they will be pretty easy to find and relatively cheap.
Dr Evil
Yup, happend to me. If you can weld it go ahead, otherwise get another.

welcome.png
pib
Thanks!
Mueller
pay for shipping and I'll send you a complete shifter.......(no knob, I like my leather Momo one smile.gif )

John
I believe that a long long time ago, there was a short shift kit available that used epoxy to glue the shift lever into a lengthened ball at the bottom. The kit was available before the Weltmeister unit that included an entire shift lever.

Does the lever look like it had epoxy on it or weld?

Take Mueller up on his offer to ship you a replacement.
pib
smiley_notworthy.gif Mueller smiley_notworthy.gif PM sent!

It looks like it was welded. Looks like lead or solder, something pretty soft, just a thin bead around the top edge. It also looks like the bottom of the lever itself was filled with the same material, and I thought they were supposed to be hollow. I can post a picture tomorrow if anyone really wants to see it.

So.Cal.914

I put a quick shift on mine about 14 yrs. ago. The original was epoxyed on to the shaft. use a map gas torch or whatever you have to heat up the old epoxy and clean it out of the original piece. Use industrial epoxy to re-glue the to pieces back together. Or you could put a quick shift on sence you have them apart anyway.
hedfurst
yep, original was epoxied or something-it canbe re-glued or liquid steeled.
markb
pib, where are you located? We have a few at the shop. I would take Mueller up on his offer, tho.
pib
I'm in Monterey. I sent Mueller a PM, accepting his way too kind offer.

I'm just amazed at how helpful everyone around here is.

Not sure I'm ready for a short shift, I've been really happy with the way the car shifts so far, no missed gears, no nicking reverse, none of the other problems I've read about. The biggest problem I've had so far was getting used to where 1st gear is, after years of driving 4 speeds with 1st at the front left. Well, that and finding the rust on my 'rust-free' car.

I've been reading about the Rennshift too, which looks like a pretty cool setup.

I think getting it back together with the stock setup will do it for now. The 914 has been my daily driver since I got it, and will continue to be until we get my wife a new car, and I can re-claim my truck. Then I can put the 914 up on jack stands for a little while and get to a little bit of 'deferred maintenance'.

Thanks,
Pete
JWest
QUOTE (pib @ Mar 12 2006, 12:47 PM)
I think getting it back together with the stock setup will do it for now.

Yep, just re-glue it. It lasted for the first 30 years, so it will last a few more (until you are ready for a RennShift wink.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.