Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: visited Munich fair "Classic Mobil" yesterday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
As every year I visited the "Classic Mobil" in Munich yesterday. Due to the weather condition I had to take a big detour (some roads were colsed because of the high risk for avalanges), it was heavily snowing and at the first 20 miles on that famous german Autobahn it was impossible to use the fast lane because it would have been to dangerous (about 2 inches snow on the fast lane screwy.gif ).
Anyhow I reached Munich and joined the fair. I got the feeling that it's getting less interesting from year to year, but the point is that I can meet my bavarian friends.

I didn't take any photos from the "other" stuff, but for sure from the teener section:

Here's the first view from the upper floor:
Gustl
entering the ground floor

Gustl
sunflower yellow '73 2.0 - fresh rebuild to factory spec

Gustl
now that's a really interesting car

the owner (the guy with grey beard) has bought it in '75
it's one of only six factory original 914-6 Sportomatic that were sold in Germany

VIN 914.1.43.0035

DEC
Gustl,
who is the owner of the orange /6.
Is this an orignal or a converted

Wilco
Gustl
ohmy.gif
Gustl
ohmy.gif
Gustl
Wilco, as far as I remember his first name is Hannes
I was told that this is a factory original Sportomatic

it was a test car for the factory that made all the ventilation things for the 914-6
Gustl
last one biggrin.gif
Mueller
nice pictures.....

nobody in the stadium seats...looks like an Oakland Raiders game smile.gif hide.gif
Gustl
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 12 2006, 10:22 AM)
nobody in the stadium seats...

well, the Munich fair takes place in the well known Olympic Stadium
during the fair it's forbidden to use the seats - they're a "closed area"
has to do something with security confused24.gif
URY914
Damn, the clutch pedal rusted away! ohmy.gif
michel richard
seriously rare parts on the /6 ! Wonder if the "sportomatic" badge was unique to the 914.
race914
Thanks for sharing the 914s at the 'Classic Mobil'!

In the second pic behind the orange 914-6 there is a crest on the wall with "914 Freunde Bayern" at the top. What is the story behind that?
Gustl
QUOTE (michel richard @ Mar 12 2006, 03:17 PM)
Wonder if the "sportomatic" badge was unique to the 914.

I can't tell it for sure, but AFAIK the 914-6 had no such badge
once I saw it on an original Porsche 911 mag ad

so my guess is that it's a 911 spare part mounted on this sporto idea.gif
jim_hoyland
Nice pics; thanks for sharing
olav

The /6 had the bumpers painted orange? Also, it looked like the rounded bumper, not the angled bumper. I guess he might have taken off the original bumpers to save and put on the painted ones.

That's pretty cool anyway.

Thanks for the pics!!

smilie_pokal.gif
Gustl
QUOTE (race914 @ Mar 12 2006, 03:25 PM)
In the second pic behind the orange 914-6 there is a crest on the wall  with "914 Freunde Bayern" at the top.  What is the story on that?

it's the official "914 Freunde Bayern" crest
Toni, our "mastermind" designed it long time ago

it shows the world famous castel "Schloss Neuschwanstein" (pic), the bavarian flag and a grid flag - see it at the start page of our homepage

Gustl
QUOTE (olav @ Mar 12 2006, 03:38 PM)
Also, it looked like the rounded bumper, not the angled bumper.

the angled bumpers were only on the MY'70
this is a '71 car

the painted bumpers are the only detail on this /6 I really don't like ...
Racing916
Does anybody here have a sportomatic? DO you know how many are in the US or even exist still?
Gustl
914.1.43.0163 is at the AA showroom wink.gif

I guess nobody knows for sure, but the number 17 is often called as the factory original production number
the owner of this one from the Classic Mobil told me that only 6 of these rare cars were sold in Germany
Racing916
Thanks for sharing the pics and the info
URY914
I remember a story about 20 years ago in Road & Track. I guy wrote in asking a question about his -6 sportamatic. They did a seach for him with Porsche and found out it was 1 of only 3 (or some other low number) that was ever brought into the States.

That is my entire knowledge of -6 Sportamatics. biggrin.gif
gregrobbins
Thank you for posting the pictures. You always have great "stuff" to share with us. Much appreciated, Thanks.
type47fan
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Mar 12 2006, 09:03 AM)
Thank you for posting the pictures. You always have great "stuff" to share with us. Much appreciated, Thanks.

agree.gif I, too, always open your posts.

Thanks for the great contributions!
Gustl
I'm glad you like it cool.gif
Allan
Nice pics and info.... givemebeer.gif
JeffBowlsby
clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif

Great looking cars Wolfgang, thanks for sharing them.

I also have a few photos of another Signal Orange Sixer Sporto on my website, VIN 9141430120. I will add this one you found too.

JeffBowlsby
I also have this letter, which says only 5 Sixer Sportos, but keep in mind the date it was written. I thought I recalled that there were ~25 Sportos made?

Gustl
Jeff, I'm pretty sure "your" document refers to this car:
Gustl
AFAIK it's 914.1.43.0156
Gustl
it's from Sweden
thesey914
I photographed this french sporto in 2003
Dave_Darling
The most official-looking word I've seen was in Panorama about eight years ago. The total number of production 914-6 Sportos was 25 cars. Four in 1970, and 21 in 1971. (I could have the years backwards.) Kerry Morse (I believe) had pestered the right people at the factory, and he had finally gotten a reply that there were 25 of them.

I've seen a silver one in the Bay Area, at a PorscHeaven swap meet. (That's how long ago it was; they weren't even PartsHeaven yet!) I think it was a dozen years ago, now. It was for sale at the time. Wish I'd taken pics.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.