Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuch 2.0 wheel question...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
I went out and bought a bunch of stuff to polish up my wheel, however i had never really taken a good look at them until i went to do it, and there seems to be some sort of film or covering that is on them.... i dont know what it is. it seems to be flaking off but i cant get it all off, it's still stuck on hard. does anyone know what this is, and more important, how to remove it?

thanks all
TheCabinetmaker
sounds like a clear coat. Sucks to get off anything.
robby750
It is an anodized coating. There is nothing I know of that will polish it. It will have to be removed. I used sandpaper, started with coarse and then went progressively finer until the scratches are out. Then I used Mothers polish and got them to shine. I only did the raised spoke parts and spent about 4 hours per wheel while they were on the car. It would go much faster with the wheel removed and some power tools. Mine looked 100% better when done.
redshift
Oven cleaner. Get 2 big cans, maybe three, sit them (the wheels, nutcase!) in the hot sun... spray it on.

Patience is your friend. The last set took me maybe 2 hours, one side at a time.

The wheels should be free of grease and such BEFORE you start, scrub the back with a stiff bristled brush, gloves, and Castrol Super Clean.

I don't wear gloves, but I am more careful than you are.... heh.. so, your hands should look like this: finger.gif lol, I am funny, man I love that... oh

Pelican Tech article available.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/m...nish/fuchs1.htm

I suggest cleaning, and painting your lugs at the same time. Don't paint the threads, just clean them furiously, with something like..... a BRASS brush. NOT STEEL.

M
biosurfer1
thanks robby...you have the exact same wheels...not the answer i was looking for, so i better go get started since it is going to take a while, thanks!
seanery
That picture doesn't do justice to Robby's wheels.
They are awesome looking in person!
biosurfer1
robby...

there are a few imperfections along the rim on the wheel, not scratches, but discolorations, things like that. did you have anything like that? i use some meguirs wheel cleaner and it worked ok, any thoughts on how to get that out?
p914
Check these out.
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp...selected=252977
Media blasted @$25 each
Polished @ $25 each

Media blasting is the best method I've found and then find a polisher. I "did"get a deal for the polishing @ $25 each. They turned out great.

Good luck
biosurfer1
where did you get them done? looks nice, what kind of place does that, i live in sacramento, know how i can find a place that does that around here?

thanks
p914
Find a media blasting place that uses plastic beads. The polishing is going to be the hard part to get a "deal".

To find a media blaster do a search under powder coating or sand blasting. Ask them who is a good media blaster that uses plastic beads. Hot Rod Paint shops are always a good bet. Then ask whoever does the blasting who does a good polishing job for aluminum or alloy. You'll find good listings on qwestdex.com in Sacramento area. The polishing is usually the expenisive part. Talk to an automotive paint retailer and they might have an independent guy or shop that they know of that polishes at a good price. The polisher will usually get his supplies there. Or ask someone at Harbor Freight.

It's a lot of work to do it yourself. I found the money spent was well worth it to get it done nicely. Avoid chemical strippers.
p914
BTW, if you were referring to the matted silver on the wheels, that is an anodized paint. There is an anodizer remover that is so strong that if you touch it it will burn you. Only high end experienced pros use it correctly. You could have that done but it will probably be muy expensivo!
Brad Roberts
Bio..

Are you the guy who bought a Beach Boys convertable 914 and was calling all the vendors asking for free products a few years back ??

B
biosurfer1
nope, this is my first 914, just bought it a few weeks ago
Brad Roberts
OK.. thank GOD it wasnt you. I forget the guy's name.. but he was a pest..lol

B
Rusty
I'm all about free.. but did the guy have a pitch on the phone? How did he justify it? lol

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.