Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rebuild your door stay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davesprinkle
What you'll need:

1. One worn door stay mechanism. If you own a 914, you probably have two.
2. A bench vise, bolted to a bench.
3. Replacement door stay and replacement rollers. (Here's the shameless plug -- I have these available for sale.)
4. Blade screwdriver for removing and replacing springs and clips.
5. Wheel bearing grease.
6. Eye protection.
7. 20 minutes.

OK, the first step is to remove your door stay mechanism from the door. I won't cover this step here. It's pretty simple, but if necessary, refer to this article on the Pelican Parts website. Install the mechanism in the vise, clamping on the door stay itself.
davesprinkle
The second step is to remove the springs from the mechanism. I don't think I need to remind you to wear eye protection for this step. Be sure to watch carefully where the spring goes when it leaps across the room.
davesprinkle
Here is a picture of the mechanism with the springs removed, still clamped in the vise. Note that the metal roller in the mechanism runs against the "bumpy" side of the door stay. The plastic roller runs against the smooth side of the door stay.
davesprinkle
Here is a picture of the old door stay. Compare its condition with that of the new stay in the plastic bag. Although the old stay is noticeably worn, it is not as bad as some that I've seen. In many cases, the bumps are completely worn away.
davesprinkle
Remove the e-clips holding the roller shafts in place. Again, be sure to wear your eye protection for this part. Don't lose these!

davesprinkle
Here is the plastic roller. This roller exhibits the typical wear pattern; that is, it's completely worn through. Although it isn't shown in this picture, the aluminum roller had a severe flat spot, which again is the typical wear pattern.

davesprinkle
Here is a picture of the dissassembled mechanism, with the parts roughly arranged in the order in which they'll go back together. Note the new rollers.

davesprinkle
Apply a light coating of wheel bearing grease to the roller pins. Do not lubricate the exterior of the roller. You want grease on the inside of the roller, not the outside. (Think of the roller as if it were a tire -- you don't want grease on the rubber tread, do you?)
davesprinkle
Here is a picture of the new rollers installed in the mechanism.

davesprinkle
Here is a picture of the new door stay in the mechanism. Note its orientation -- the side of the stay with the bumps runs against the brass roller.
davesprinkle
Put the mechanism back in the vise, clamping on the stay.

davesprinkle
Reinstalling the springs can be a real hassle. I use a blade screwdriver with a round shank (Craftsman). Be careful and wear your safety glasses!

davesprinkle
Finished! Isn't it lovely?

Air_Cooled_Nut
What side of the car are you working on in this pictorial?

Nice work!
davesprinkle
What side of the car are you working on in this pictorial?

Nice work!

Thanks for the kind words. In answer to your question, both mechanisms are identical; one is just installed upside down from the other.
turbo914v8
I will take a set how much?
davesprinkle
I will take a set how much?

$43.27 delivered to your door. Includes one plastic roller, one brass roller, and one door stay. Here's a link to the products forum.
olav
Check is in the mail. biggrin.gif
davesprinkle
Are the springs available somewhere?

Sorry, I'm not aware of a replacement source for the springs.
michel richard
This is cool
jd74914
QUOTE (michel richard @ Mar 12 2006, 06:53 PM)
This is cool

I nominate this for a classic thread. smilie_pokal.gif
lapuwali
To keep the spring from flying off, clamp a pair of Vice Grips to the loop opposite the one you're prying off, and they won't fly nearly so far.
Aaron Cox
lets let the comments fly and then this IS a classic thread!
dwillouby
Can I buy just the rollers? I already have the new arms.

David
McMark
Dave, do you have any recommendations pertaining to using your rollers on the stainless steel version of the detent? I'm guessing this is David's situation
davesprinkle
Can I buy just the rollers? I already have the new arms.

No problem. I'll be glad to sell the rollers separately. Plastic or brass, same price: $15.26/each or 2 for $27.74.

Do you have any recommendations pertaining to using your rollers on the stainless steel version of the detent?

Go for it. The rollers will work just fine with a stainless steel detent cam.
sk8kat1
CLASSIC!! smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif
jsteele22
Great pics, great info.

First, let me say that anybody who hasn't bought a set of these is a cheap-ass bastard. Next, for those of us who haven't bought a set... I was wondering if there are door stay mechanisms from other cars (ones that are easy to come across in the boneyards) that could be adapted to a 914. Is there anything about the 914 design that is really so different from other cars ? I haven't looked into this at all, but my hunch is that there has got to be a door stay just sitting out there that could be bolted to a 914 door with a simple, klugey adapter that would be hidden inside the door anyway.

Any opinions, BTDT stories, or random insults ?
McMark
BTW, if your door thumps, ticks, creaks or groans when you open it, you need this kit.
smooth_eddy
BTW, if your door thumps, ticks, creaks or groans when you open it, you need this kit.

Yep, thats me
smooth_eddy
An inexpensive spring puller will keep the spring from flying across the room. Great thread. I vote classic. Eddy
sk8kat1
ok I just finished my door stays.. this kit is great!! and the description here is very helpful ..a classic wink.gif

before
sk8kat1
my "vise"
sk8kat1
how I kept the spring from taking flight while removing them
sk8kat1
how I kept my springs from taking flight when reinstalling... yes, it is a spring puller from my motorcycle exhaust
sk8kat1
the born again door stay ! smilie_pokal.gif
sk8kat1
I didn't have a vise so I punted... being that I build furniture as a hobby I had lots of scrap wood and clamps , ugly but it worked biggrin.gif
davesprinkle
Nicely done, Michael! Very resourceful. BTW, your second kit will leave here tomorrow.
Harpo
I just got my parts back from the electroplater and I'm in the process of rebuilding my check straps.

Is the plastic roller suposed to bind in the check strap assy or should it be rolling like the alum/brass roller?

Thanks

David
TheCabinetmaker
For the young guys, an old school drum brake spring r&r tool is perfect for this job.

Nice work Dave.
buck toenges
Hate to bring this up after reading a thread on how the forum is being swamped by old stuff But.....

I just rebuilt my door stays with mikey's kit. I have a question about the black roller. Is it suppose to roll? It is a tight squeeze and doesn't want to rotate very easily. Does the black plastic roller need to be sanded down to not be so wide in the stay assembly?

Thanks,
Buck
davesprinkle
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Apr 17 2014, 06:37 PM) *

Hate to bring this up after reading a thread on how the forum is being swamped by old stuff But.....

I just rebuilt my door stays with mikey's kit. I have a question about the black roller. Is it suppose to roll? It is a tight squeeze and doesn't want to rotate very easily. Does the black plastic roller need to be sanded down to not be so wide in the stay assembly?

Thanks,
Buck

Yeah, the rollers should roll. If they don't fit on the cam, you should contact Mikey.
Mikey914
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Apr 17 2014, 06:37 PM) *

Thanks,
Buck

Drop me a PM. I can walk you through it. Basically, make sure they are lubed an clean. If you are reusing the door strap should be cleaned also.
-Mark
buck toenges
I have installed the kit and put the door stays back into the car. When you open the door, there is a click as the door opens up at around 45 degrees. If you look at the strap there is a "wave" pattern. As the door extends to the first wave it works well. As the door opens and gets to the second wave on the strap there is an audible click.

Both doors do it at the same location, the second wave. Anybody have this problem?
I think I have to grind down some of the second wave to stop the click.
My next move is to take off the door stay of my other 914 and see if it is the strap or something else.
davesprinkle
This click is from the force reversal at the camshaft taking up the clearance at the pin on the jamb. You can reduce this by replacing the worn pin, but you probably won't be able to completely eliminate it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.