Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proposal for this year's event
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
ThinAir
Hi gang!

I know it's been a long time coming, and it may even be too late to plan something, but here's my proposal:

Name: 914 Wüstebahn Ralleye
Wüstebahn is German for Desert Road. I've checked with my son, who has a BA in German, and he says that it really does translate correctly. Technically it should be die Wüstebahn, but I think this is an acceptable way to Americanize it. So the name translates as "914 Desert Road Ralleye". This gives us something that will work for future years and also doesn't even lock us into Arizona in case there is something in the Colorado River area or Southern Utah or New Mexico that seems like a good location.

When:Saturday & Sunday in Mid-May. I had hoped for late April, but I just don't see it happening that soon. I'm thinking no later than May 13 & 14. I have not checked for conflicts, other than noting that the 14th is Mother's Day.

Activities:
Start on Saturday morning from Flagstaff, AZ. Drive to Prescott, AZ with stops along the way at the Oak Creek scenic view, Sedona and Jerome. The route would take us on Hwy 89A and 89 through some beautiful country and some faily good twisty roads.
Sunday would start with a Show & Shine, perhaps with some fun type awards to be determined. This would be followed by a loop drive from Prescott to Congress and return. I'm wondering if there is a way to do lunch at the top of Yarnell hill picnic style like we did at the Red Rock Classic. My map shows that there is some kind of rest area there.
The event would end with dinner on Sunday, including the presentation of awards.

So, what do you think?

P.S. - I discovered a trip planning site from Harley Davidson called "Ride Planner" that I used to plot out this route. They say it is 135 miles and would take 3 hours, 45 minutes if you just drove it. I think that spread out over 2 days like this it is about right. I sent John an email from the site to share the itinerary with him (I don't know how that actually works on the receiving end).
VegasRacer
Hey Ernie,

Yes I did get the Harley 'Ride Planner' link and it worked fine. Your route sounds good to me. It should be just the right length if we make multiple stops along the way (like we did on the RRC cruises).

Maybe have the big dinner on Saturday night. I expect most people will want to get a head start on the drive home on Sunday. It might be better to have the event end at lunch. I am sure we can find a caterer and a good location.

I am not crazy about the Wüstebahn name, but it really does not matter to me. Route 66 Classic is still my choice.

April 29-30 or May 6-7 both work for me.
I have a PCA/SCCA DE on the 13-14 and a PCA / Ferrari Club rally on the 20th.
Jeroen
Are ya sure Wüstebahn is a real German word?
I know Wüste can be translated as desert, but I'm not quite sure Wüstebahn is a real word

Where's Andy when you need him rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.