Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Neck Racer results
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Pretty much a high horsepower course. Coulda used that new 2270 Jake? a little help here...

I got to less than a second of a turbo'ed civic hatch 400 HP and new A3S05's he is just about 9/10ths of the rules for Street mod

Scared the hot shoe in the S2000 to less than 3 tenths of a second

So I stayed to the game plan 2 runs on the Slicks

took half the 1st run to get them to stick and then is was like flipping a switch to "grip of a gorilla"

2nd run was quick but still left a bunch out there. I don't believe I ever got close to the limit of the tires they just kept sticking no matter how much I pushed the gas!

Chris Foley was right these tires don't like much camber so I'll be realigning it before the next event with them.

Also with 4 1/2" of back space I still mananged to rub the inner fender well Nothing major but I'll fix it just the same. Need a 3/8" 4 lug spacer or even maybe 7/16"

All in all a good day car ran like a scaulded dog all day. 29 MPG running 80-85 to and from the event. 320 head temps at the highest. 190 oil temps. rocking nana.gif Guess I got it dialed in pretty good.
balljoint
smilie_pokal.gif Rev 'er up gud!
okieflyr
I'm glad to hear your tire set up worked well. clap56.gif As I read your previous post with their unvailing, I figured I might need to use them as well. I'd think the car would be easier to drive with the power level you have with those tires. But since you feel that there is too much time left on the table, turn up the power!
I'd be curious of the "new" feel with less camber... Kevin
Joe Ricard
Well, I suspect even more grip if the entire tire was planted on the ground instead of 3/4 's of the inside tread face when accelerating while changing directions. I did have to let up a few times as the inside rear would give way as it came unloaded.

tire temps with probe type meter showed 135 inside, 128 middle and 110 outside. Thats an average of all four tires. Ran 26 PSI which seemed to be a good starting point.
for reference A3S04 were nearly even across the face with this camber setting. and 29 PSI

Acceleration was better with 9lbs less wieght per wheel. and a main jet combo that put me at 12.5 : 1 air/fuel. I little leaner might make more power and I might be able to get away with it for short runs. Wide open throttle for autocross are rarely more than 2-3 seconds worth.
okieflyr
NICE! How much camber were you running on your previous setup? KB
J P Stein
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 12 2006, 06:58 PM)
Well, I suspect even more grip if the entire tire was planted on the ground instead of 3/4 's of the inside tread face when accelerating while changing directions. I did have to let up a few times as the inside rear would give way as it came unloaded.

Welcome to the world of more grip than suspension laugh.gif
Good to hear things worked out as well as they did. New "stuff" can be hard to deal with.
Joe Ricard
I think I will use these tires with care. Probably go up to the 23 x 9 x15 in a little harder compound next set.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 13 2006, 06:37 AM)
I think I will use these tires with care. Probably go up to the 23 x 9 x15 in a little harder compound next set.

The problem with using a harder compound for autocross is the tires won't start to grip until halfway through the second run (unless you have two drivers).
URY914
Joe,
Cut about 500 pounds out of the car and move up a class. Them tires will last then. dry.gif

Good to see they worked for you.

P
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 13 2006, 04:55 AM)
Joe,
Cut about 500 pounds out of the car and move up a class. Them tires will last then. dry.gif

Good to see they worked for you.

P

Well, that's sorta the plan.... But maybe just to the 1640 lb limit.

Like I said it was a tuning day. my Co-driver was new and also a Big dude. about 200 pounds. I am sure I would have been a little quicker all over if'n I was empty.

Didn't have an empty passenger seat all day. I should start charging admission. Might help with the tire bill. biggrin.gif

Anybody have experience with Centerline wheels? how long will they hold up? How stiff are they laterally? Just thinking out loud here.

Paul what are those wheels you got on you "helium car"?

and does it count I took TTOD for Prepared cars? Yes there were more than just me.
Joe Ricard
Oh and I gotta brag on my son Christopher.
He drove his Focus to 1st place in H stock. He is really getting good at driving a clean line. even though he picked up "golden cone" from his 1st run of the day.

Had to school him in "don't over drive" a front drive car. This is not the 914 and you Don't have sticky tires.
URY914
My wheels are fake Centerlines. Ebay story here...dip shit seller's ad says "Centerline". I bite and buy them for a very good price. They are not real Centerlines, just one piece cast aluminum. But the price I paid was really in line with one piece fakes, not true real three piece wheels. So I got what I paid for and they are an inch wider than the one I had. I sold my Revolutions for what I paid for these fakes so no loss of money and a gain of 1 inch.

As far a real Centerline's are concerned, they a very good wheels as far as I know. Real racers have been running them for years. Racer Chris has them on his car.
Joe Ricard
Cool, You know I've pretty much started to suscribe to the teachings of a select few here on the board.
There are guys that know engines, guys that know suspension, guys that specialize in Autocross, and now I'm gearing up for a track day.

and down the slippery slope I slide some more. biggrin.gif
9146R
Joe,

Waaaay to go. So are you running the Hoosier slicks or Goodyear. Last year SirAndy was lifting inside wheel big time at Marina autox with his Goodyear schlicks. I like my Hoosier R304S but am tempted to go the next step given what you experienced.
Greg
URY914
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 13 2006, 06:33 AM)
Cool, You know I've pretty much started to suscribe to the teachings of a select few here on the board.
There are guys that know engines, guys that know suspension, guys that specialize in Autocross, and now I'm gearing up for a track day.

and down the slippery slope I slide some more. biggrin.gif

Than there are those that know enuff about each to be real dangerous. wacko.gif

Joe Ricard
I hitched a ride in the 2nd run group with a guy in his new to him 2002 Carrera. sweet car.
We chatted while waiting in line in grid. He asked how the hell I was going so fast in tha teener.

Brake late and hard. I told him I would tell him when to brake. We came flying into the 1st corner he let off the gas and coasted. I said brake at the cone. and next time don't lift off the gas.

he cut 2 seconds off his 3 previous runs. Pretty stoked he was... doing the clap56.gif and Whoo hoo all the way back to grid. asked me if I was an instructor or something. "no just nuts, cool car thanks for the ride" w00t.gif
URY914
I think people lose more time with incorrect braking than anything else. They over brake and go too slow around the corner, or brake too early.

It sometimes isn't about fast but not going slow. wacko.gif
Jake Raby
Imagine what you could do with a 2270 with 40 lb/ft more torque..
Brett W
Hey Joe, drop your pressure down closer to 20-22 and see what happens. How far are you rolling over?

When I ran those wheels a 1/4in spacer gives you the clearence you need. Just take a set of rear rotors that are junk and part the face off on a lathe. Voilla' instant spacer.

We are having a divisional event here in July I beleive so you better be ready. We have a sweet surface to run on.
Eric_Shea
Good to hear things worked out as well as they did.

What's going on here? confused24.gif

Has anyone seen or heard from 'the old' JP? I'm a little concerned... ohmy.gif

Who are you and what have you done with our "Ricketty Racer" mad.gif

av-943.gif
J P Stein
I never rag on 914 guys that run SCCA AX.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 13 2006, 09:06 AM)
Good to hear things worked out as well as they did.

What's going on here? confused24.gif

Has anyone seen or heard from 'the old' JP? I'm a little concerned... ohmy.gif

Who are you and what have you done with our "Ricketty Racer" mad.gif

av-943.gif

Man, all ya gots to do is listen to what JP has to say and learn that what he says is coming from experience.

Seriously have not been steered wrong yet. There is lots of off line teachings. and his Shit Box is the model for the Red Neck Racer. as my budget allows.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif

(it's just fun to poke.gif him every now and again...)
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 13 2006, 09:21 AM)
I never rag on 914 guys that run SCCA AX.

tend to be some pretty hot cars showing up to our events recently. this was our smallest event at 54 cars, because there was a open track day at NPR at the same time.

Normally the street mod group is packing 20 cars on Race rubber.
and the Eff'n S2000 that only put 20 runs on Hoosiers and buys another set. finger.gif

Yea Jake 40 more ft bls of torque woulda been nice. Your old 2316 woulda been nicer. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.