Another reason you should change your fuel lines, even if you are not driving the car...

From the Topeka Capital-Journal 914 Causes Fire (Registration Required)

Fire destroys dentist's shed and two autos inside

Engine backfire cited as probable cause of south Topeka blaze
A D V E R T I S E M E N T
By Kasha Stoll
The Capital-Journal

A structure fire Saturday that destroyed a large storage shed at 14091/2 S.W. 37th St. likely was caused by an engine backfire, said Robert Martin, Topeka Fire Department battalion chief.

Motorists on Interstate 470 could see large, dark plumes of smoke at around noon. Martin said four engines and two trucks responded to the fire, and they remained on scene for about four hours.

The building is still standing but was gutted inside. Martin estimated damage at $90,000 for the building and $45,000 for the contents.

The shed, which is located across the street from the Carriage House Apartments, is owned by dentist Larry Hargreaves and was used as a storage area for what he called collector cars and cars of special interest.

Hargreaves said the fire was started when his friend and mechanic, Bob Skaggs, tried to start Hargreaves' 1974 black 914 Porsche.

"I think a gas line popped or something," Hargreaves said. "I just don't know."

He said the fire spread quickly and Skaggs wasn't able to control it with a small fire extinguisher that was stored in the shed.

Hargreaves said Skaggs burned the back of his hand and drove himself to a hospital. Martin said Skaggs returned to the scene after being treated.

Destroyed in the fire were two cars, Skaggs' tools and a 100-year-old roller-top family desk.

Hargreaves said he began rebuilding the Porsche 18 months ago. It recently had been repainted, but wasn't insured yet.

Allen Ratliff, a friend of Hargreaves, also lost a 1986 Monte Carlo SS and several thousand dollars worth of high-performance car parts. His car was insured.

"They were brand new," Ratliff said of the parts. "I never even got them on the car."

Hargreaves said he had recently added a new addition to the shed, including a $1,000 garage door purchased three days ago. He described the building as "underinsured."

Part of a large fence surrounding the shed was pulled down to make room for the fire engines. Hargreaves, who said he is worried about the safety of neighborhood children, hired a security firm to stand guard for two nights until he can replace the fence.

Late Saturday afternoon, Hargreaves walked solemnly around his property. He dug his hands deep in his jeans pockets and stared at the burned-out shed and destroyed cars.

"I am trying hard not to be (angry)," he said. "Life goes on."

Kasha Stoll can be reached at (785) 295-1270 or kasha.stoll@cjonline.com.