Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear sway bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rezron
Hi everybody,

I'm installing a stock front swaybar on my '74, which
is mainly just used on the street. I've got a rear swaybar as well and want to know whether to install it or not- any suggestions? Will it make any difference in
my situation? I already have the rear bar and mounts,
so it would'nt be any big deal to mount it,- just curious if it would be a waste of time? Any opinions?

Thanks,
rezron
Brad Roberts
What rear springs ??

B
rezron
I'm not sure what the lbs. of the rear springs are that
are on this car. I bought it in CA and hauled it back to the midwest this spring. They appear to be near new-
how can I determine what they are?

Thanks,
rezron
Brad Roberts
If they are black and appear to have wider coils at the top or bottom of the spring.. it will be written on them with white paint (Weltmeister springs) Do you have a digital camera ??

B
seanery
a lot of the newer springs i have seen are etched in the top of the spring.
rezron
I'll take some pics tomorrow after work.

Thanks,
rezron
Brad Roberts
Only the H+R and Eibach type of springs have the numbers written on them (2.5 inch springs)

B
seanery
Those are the Hypercoils for my adjustable perch yellow konis.
rezron
Here's a pic of what's on the car now. I pulled one out of the car today and the spring looks like a stock replacement that I've got in my collection of parts.
I'm still not sure of the lbs. I've got a 911sc front with
bilsteins-- should I be looking at other options instead
of these springs with the gas kybs
Brad Roberts
The tech term for KYB in the Porsche arena (Kill Your Back) KYB.

Those do look like stock replacement springs. If you stick with those springs and pop for some Bilsteins with an adjustable perch... I would run a rear bar (which will make the car think it has stiffer rear springs).

Typically people remove the rear bar because they step up to larger springs in the rear (much larger). I like to use the sway bar as a finite adjustment of the rear spring rate.

Oh.. did you purchase a complete 911SC front end ?? torsion bars/control arms..everything ?? If so.. you will have a seriously unbalanced ride with the stock springs and KYB's.

B
rezron
I've got the complete 911sc front with 21mm torsion bars. If I get rear bilsteins with adjustable perches are you recommending that I use the stock springs and install the rear sway bar? Or is it a better move to just put some heavier springs on the adjustable perches ?

Thanks,
rezron
seanery
here comes my 2 cents:

My white car is gonna be a 90-95% street driven car.
I got Koni Yellows and the adjustable perches and springs from Jason at Paragon Products.
I opted for the 125 lb springs. A lot of the autocross guys start with 145 lb springs. I opted
for the lower rate for comfort and still a much better spring than stock (65lbs, is that right?)

I will have a factory rear bar installed this fall or winter.
Right now the front end is stock torsion bars and will have Koni Yellows installed when the rears are.
I'm still looking for a factory front bar.
fiid
I'm afraid.

I have 23mm front torsion bars, along with a 22mm weltmeister front sway, and 180lb rears.

I'm getting the impression this is going to be a stiff ride.

Rich at High Performance House recommended this setup because I wanted the car to handle really well. He recommended putting a rear sway on and leaving it disconnected - he says to hook it up for autocross events to get the car to turn.

I am going to have a 275HP twin turbo subaru engine in this thing so I am hoping I will be able to keep up with that RX Turbo 2 people are talking about.

When it's running again, I'll let you know how it is.

Fiid.
nine14cats
Hi Fiid,

I've got about 260HP out of my 2.7 6 and I have the 23mm torsion bars and 22mm sway in front. I've got a 16mm sway in back. I started with 180lbs springs like you, but I found that the HP (especially if you're going to be getting 275HP out of your engine) will lift you inside front wheel off the ground accelerating through corners in auto-x and on the track. I ended up going to 250lbs springs in the rear. The ride is stiff....

Of course...my car is track only....so comfort is not a worry. But the point is, you may lift a wheel with that much HP in your car and the 180's in the rear.

Just my $.02 from my experience.

Can't wait to see your car out there with that engine. Should be fun to watch! driving.gif
fiid
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Sep 10 2003, 08:30 PM)
Hi Fiid,

I've got about 260HP out of my 2.7 6 and I have the 23mm torsion bars and 22mm sway in front. I've got a 16mm sway in back. I started with 180lbs springs like you, but I found that the HP (especially if you're going to be getting 275HP out of your engine) will lift you inside front wheel off the ground accelerating through corners in auto-x and on the track. I ended up going to 250lbs springs in the rear. The ride is stiff....

Of course...my car is track only....so comfort is not a worry. But the point is, you may lift a wheel with that much HP in your car and the 180's in the rear.

Just my $.02 from my experience.

Can't wait to see your car out there with that engine. Should be fun to watch! driving.gif

Hmmm. I think your car is a good datapoint. I am further worried that my engine is probably going to be a bit lighter than the 6 (the subaru engine weights about the same as the stock 4 so far as I can tell).

Maybe the extra weight of the radiator will hold it down :-)

I am excited to get it going. When I first learned about 914s I immediately dreamed of what it would be like to have one of these high powered Subaru jobbies in it - lot of work yet to do - but I think it will be a weapon once it's done.

Fiid.
ChrisReale
beer3.gif If you guys are talking Weltmeister 180#rear springs, as in progressive, as in tighter coils at one end, its going to fuck your world up for AX. progressive means that as the load increases, the spring rate increases. So what are you going to do when you take a corner that is a sharp, but slow (ie low load) corner? Your going to plow your way through it like a forklift! I know this because I did it, and every time it happened, I cursed myself. Then a bright shining being came to me one day and said get rid of the progressive crap (which, BTW works just fine for street stuff) and get a spring that is a non-progressive type. I did, and the first run I did on my new springs was like driving a new car.
Brad Roberts
Fiid.. you setup is fine. Rich at HPH likes a stiff car and he knows what works.. Some of us opt for a slightly lighter sprung car and bigger sway bars. This gives us adjustability. Rich's race cars are setup like BRICKS. His no.1 competitor took a different approach (we lightened the spring and torsion bar rates and went with BIG sway bars F+R that we adjust. The lighter spring rates allowed the car to ride smoother over bumps and keep tires on the concrete. The HPH setup.. the car bounces from one bump to the next and is a pretty wild ride at speed.

And yes.. Chris Reale nailed it. The 914 autoX car that won SF Region SCCA had 175lb non- progressive springs on the rear and 21/22 torsion sway bar up front. The car is awesome at AutoX and time trial. The only thing we change is the alignment and sway bar settings.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.