Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Engine Mount bolts...how did you drill out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I'm continuing my work on JLO (V8 SBC 914). The engine crossbar mounting bolts that attach to the frame of the car are about a 1/4" larger than stock 914 bolts. I'm using the RH hardware.

My question....did you guys dry fit the engine up where it connects, mark and then drill? Or are the tolerances of the RH parts exactly center to the Porsche stock cross bar and I just center the engine mount tabs in the drill press and open them up?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bill P.
skline
I didnt have to drill anything? Mine just bolted right on in. I used grade 8 bolts from the hardware store to bolt it in. Has not fallen out yet. unsure.gif
Dr. Roger
bill,

are you talking about the hole in the center of the mount on the left is too small?

user posted image
Andyrew
confused24.gif I didnt drill anything either?

Call Rennegade?
nine14cats
Hi Roger,

Yes, in your picture the oblong slit in the metal needs to opened up for the RH bolts to fit. RH recommends larger bolts than stock as they have seen many failures with the stock bolt sizes being used with their kits. They include these larger bolts in their kits. I have trouble believing that the bolt would fail before the tab mount, but that's RH story.

I already called RH and they said they just hog it out with a hand drill. I'll probably dry fit, mark and maybe put them on my drill press, but I didn't know if you guys had done this as well.

Thanks,

Bill P.
Dr. Roger
yes bill,

now that i think about it i believe i did have to go up one size on that hole and i did use RH's supplied bolts.

be sure to push the bolts trugh from below so the extra threads are above. won't get hit on speed bumps...
nine14cats
Roger,

Did you hog it out as RH told me on the phone?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Bill,

I had a billet piece made that sat down inside the "ear" to distribute the load of the V8 over the entire ear instead "just" that tiny area that was designed to support a 4cyl.

You can use the billet style round tranny mounts with a larger hole.

B
nine14cats
B,

Thanks for the tip! That sounds like a great idea. Did you use the two existing bolts for the billet piece or did you put and extra two in for 4 total to help distribute the torsional forces of the added torque?

I wonder who can machine them for me? I think my dad's lathe is fubar.

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.