Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stop me before I touch another transmission!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bryanc
So, here's my 914 story with some recent updates.....

Background:
in 1992, I bought a 914 rust-bucket that had just had the tranny rebuilt and the PO forgot to put oil in it. Turns out transmissions don't like that. I bought it for a steal and re-rebuilt the tranny.

It lasted for about 30 miles. Didn't torque the mainshaft bolt correctly and it unscrewed itself through the tailhousing.

In 1994, I had bought a daily driver 914 (my blue car) and it got ran over in a parking lot. So, while it was being repaired, I decided 'why not rebuild the tranny' since it had the familiar 2nd gear crash.

It lasted about 1000 miles. Leaked, ran out of oil, you know the rest.

After that, I bought a good used tranny and vowed to never open it up. It still works (knock on magnesium case)

Today

When I bought the yellow car in my avatar, the PO gave me a second gearbox that the mainshaft bold had backed out of (sound familiar?). He said 'there's lots of shavings in there so it needs to be gone through'. Ok, tonight I decided to go through it....

It's never that easy....
bryanc
Top of tranny says:

'914LTD 01/01 GT Diff' (has a limited slip)
'AFMSX 55 2MM'

I assume the AFMSX is the gear selection. I'll look that up soon. This is the 'short track' box. The long track box is in the car.

the 2MM is the pinion mesh?? Anybody??

Second picture, of the gear cluster:
bryanc
The gears look great, but that pinion is ugly. Sorry for the photo, but it's bad. The ring gear seems ok, it's a stock 7:31 ratio R&P.

bryanc
Previous experiment in transmission surgery:
bryanc
And the one before that:
bryanc
PO did this:
bryanc
Sorry forgot pic:
bryanc
'But I have a new tailhousing' says the PO . I think it can work, but it's gonna take some elbow grease:
bryanc
So here's my plans:

I can take the mainshaft out of one of my previous transmisison experiments. I assume I should I take the ring gear as well? If I do that, how do I set the pinion mesh? IIRC, there is a special porsche tool for doing this. Anybody know any tricks to do it without that tool? Anybody have that tool?
ClayPerrine
It takes some special, very expensive tools to set the pinion depth and backlash. I found them on e-bay years ago, and paid through the nose to get them.

If you want to box it up and send it to me, I will rebuild it. I have done a bunch of them, and they work fine.

In answer to your question, the ring gear and the pinion gear are a matched pair, and have to be kept together.

bryanc
I figured as much on the R&P. I'll probably have a local shop do the depth and backlash setting since I need to get this put together soon. That is if they have the tools. There are several local shops to choose from, so someone must have the tool.

Why can't it be like other cars where you slop some paint on the teeth and verify that you get good coverage when you rotate the gears?

Thanks for the help.
rick 918-S
if you have any qurstions on the engraving, 914 LTD. 309.694.1797 call Brad.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 13 2006, 09:07 AM)

dry.gif slap.gif laugh.gif

agree.gif You beat me to it.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Mar 13 2006, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 13 2006, 09:07 AM)

dry.gif slap.gif laugh.gif

agree.gif You beat me to it.

Just got off the phone with him. He said he even dates the rebuilds.

He has my transaxle now.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (bryanc @ Mar 13 2006, 08:43 AM)
I figured as much on the R&P. I'll probably have a local shop do the depth and backlash setting since I need to get this put together soon. That is if they have the tools. There are several local shops to choose from, so someone must have the tool.

Why can't it be like other cars where you slop some paint on the teeth and verify that you get good coverage when you rotate the gears?

Thanks for the help.

I doubt there is one independent Pcar shop in a thousand that has the tools, and then they have to have somebody proficient in the use of those tools. Don't get your hopes up. The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 13 2006, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (bryanc @ Mar 13 2006, 08:43 AM)
I figured as much on the R&P.  I'll probably have a local shop do the depth and backlash setting since I need to get this put together soon.  That is if they have the tools.  There are several local shops to choose from, so someone must have the tool.

Thanks for the help.

I doubt there is one independent Pcar shop in a thousand that has the tools, and then they have to have somebody proficient in the use of those tools. Don't get your hopes up. The Cap'n

agree.gif

I got lucky in purchasing the tools. And while I know I can do the job right, I am VERY slow about it.

GaroldShaffer
Call Brad at 914ltd 309.694.1797 smile.gif
bryanc
I'll probably call Brad tommorrow, but Stuttgart Southwest in Tempe can set the box up correctly, I just need to get parts over to them.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.