Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Biting the bullet - bringing on the 5 lug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
Biting the bullet to go five lug. Headed down to the shop to figure out wheel spacing/size today. I will be using 3 piece BBS wheels. Going to go with racing slicks too.

Starting my GT conversion today fenders, rocker panels, the works. I'm planning to go all Olympic Blue paint with smooth top. While Olympic Blue wasnt the same color as the Porsche Gulf cars I'm thinking of doing similar orange stripe.

This should be fun! I'm a goner now!

While this car wont be the fastest or the sexiest conversion it should prove to be a good platform for me to learn from.

Mueller
which BBS wheels? a "modern" style???
Joe Ricard
Cool, and I bet all ya'll thought I was a nut.
beer.gif So Grant when are you going to come out here and race me?
YPAF
jhadler
Grant,

PM sent...

-Josh2
nine14cats
Geez Grant....you're as bad as I am......WELCOME! happy11.gif

It's been lonely here by myself laugh.gif

You're going to need to take most of the camber out of your car once you go slicks, so you're committed as far as that goes. Hoosiers take some negative (small amount) but Goodyear's pretty much go zero or very close. I'm talking bias-ply here. If you're going radial slicks...I'm not familiar with them.

Can't wait to see the car out there!

Bill P.
grantsfo
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Mar 13 2006, 10:19 AM)
Geez Grant....you're as bad as I am......WELCOME! happy11.gif

It's been lonely here by myself laugh.gif

You're going to need to take most of the camber out of your car once you go slicks, so you're committed as far as that goes. Hoosiers take some negative (small amount) but Goodyear's pretty much go zero or very close. I'm talking bias-ply here. If you're going radial slicks...I'm not familiar with them.

Can't wait to see the car out there!

Bill P.

Its a true sickness. biggrin.gif I take a hit and then say whoa did I really do that? wacko.gif

My car currently sits at about -1.5 degrees of camber front and rear - so where do I need to go with Good Year slicks? I may back off and go DOT route, but I want a snowballs chance to get close to the times of the real fast cars now that I'm penailizing myself with wide rims.
brant
Most (not all) slicks need around 0 camber to be optimum

most DOT tires need around -3degree's to be optimum

(when you gonna get me some Weight numbers?)

brant
grantsfo
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 13 2006, 10:03 AM)

Whatever they call that crisscross honeycomb like pattern? Looks fairly modern. Building a set of the widest 16" wheels that will fit under my GT fenders. They will have black centers.
Mueller
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Mar 13 2006, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 13 2006, 10:03 AM)

Whatever they call that crisscross honeycomb like pattern? Looks fairly modern. Building a set of the widest 16" wheels that will fit under my GT fenders. They will have black centers.

check tire avail. first.....I got rid of my 16x9's due to piss poor DOT selection.....
nine14cats
Grant,

If you are still going to run the car on the street it is my opinion that you will have run Dot-R's. You won't be able to utilize the contact patch of the slicks if you don't go basically to zero camber as Brant points out.

That being said, slicks can sure get sticky at the right temperature and with the right surface. Here I am at Marina in 2003 running Goodyear 23x9x15 cantilever slicks in the R210 compound (no longer available) They only have R250 compound as the softest tire now.

I was able to get the car up on two wheels. I'd say they stick pretty well.... wink.gif

happy11.gif

Bill P.
grantsfo
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Mar 13 2006, 01:29 PM)
Grant,

If you are still going to run the car on the street it is my opinion that you will have run Dot-R's. You won't be able to utilize the contact patch of the slicks if you don't go basically to zero camber as Brant points out.

That being said, slicks can sure get sticky at the right temperature and with the right surface. Here I am at Marina in 2003 running Goodyear 23x9x15 cantilever slicks in the R210 compound (no longer available) They only have R250 compound as the softest tire now.

I was able to get the car up on two wheels. I'd say they stick pretty well.... wink.gif

happy11.gif

Bill P.

I was a course worker at Marina when you did that in 2003 - It was my first AX as a driver. I had never seen a 914 get on two wheels before!
Joe Ricard
Thats frigging NUTS.

Pretty cool but NUTS.
race914
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Mar 13 2006, 09:57 AM)
I'm planning to go all Olympic Blue paint with smooth top. While Olympic Blue wasnt the same color as the Porsche Gulf cars I'm thinking of doing similar orange stripe.

Excellent choice on your color combination!

Not that I'm biased or anything wink.gif

racerx7

Is that 914 on two wheels from just turning? ( not hitting bump, curb, etc...)?

I
grantsfo
QUOTE (racerx7 @ Mar 13 2006, 03:07 PM)
Is that 914 on two wheels from just turning? ( not hitting bump, curb, etc...)?

I

Yes! no bump. He flew into the corner sideways and the tires gripped suddenly and threw the car up on two wheels. It was wild!
nine14cats
Yep, no bumps...just smooth sticky concrete! I was running a quick pace into the hairpin, would let up on the brakes before turning to maintain momentum, then toss the car right and tap the brakes to start rotation of the car. The as the tail started to come around I would give her gas and the fat slicks would hook up, and I'd slingshot out of the hairpin maintaining decent speed, which I could use on the corresponding straight that followed.

Problem was that once I carried the most speed of the day into the hairpin, the slicks didn't break loose, they just stuck!...Voila....a little two wheel action.

It was fun watching the whole side of the passenger door sill come up in my peripheral vision. I just moved the steering wheel slightly to the left to drop the car back down and floored it.

Grant,

My vote is go with the slicks.... happy11.gif

Once you go slicks, you never go back...... laugh.gif

Bill P.
grantsfo
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Mar 13 2006, 03:36 PM)

Grant,

My vote is go with the slicks.... happy11.gif

Once you go slicks, you never go back...... laugh.gif

Bill P.

Yes I have seen how much better they stick watching you, Andrew, Steve, Andy, etc.
jhadler
You will find that they drive quite differently than DOT tires. The cool thing I always love about slicks is the rediculously large slip angles that they can work at. It may feel like you're sliding, but you're still gripping hard.

Too much fun...

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.