Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mallory installation - tight squeeze!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
FINALLY got around to installing the mallory unilite along with the hy-fire electronic ignition.

Wow! What a difference! And haven't installed the vacuum line yet. Can a distributor make a car pull harder? Seems like it.....but maybe it's just smoother and more "responsive". Anyone wanna buy a slightly used 009 dizzy?

These things are big and don't really fit. The first pic shows how big it is in relation to other engine components. The arrows point to the vacuum fitting (which I FINALLY found - I kept looking at the barrels for 2&3 instead of 1&4 - 2&3 has the smaller "blanking" screw, 1&4 has the larger hole w/brass vacuum fitting).

The 2nd pic shows the space we hammered out between the dizzy and the tin. Originally, the mallory wouldn't even fit in the space. The tin is actually quite soft and maleable when coaxed with a small 10lb. sledge. smash.gif

1st pic:
Joseph Mills
2nd pic:
Brad Roberts
Why did you buy the vacuum advance version ??

B
Joseph Mills
Isn't that the one you told me to buy? laugh.gif

Maybe it was a DD or Rabey post....mentioning the cooler running highway temps, better gas mileage and smoother response.

I installed the gray/gray springs.

Is there a performance advantage to disconnect & plug the vacuum & adjust timing for AX, DE?
ChrisFoley
I bought the mechanical only unit and installed the brown/brown springs. I also bent the spring tabs to increase the starting advance point. Since my engine is race only I wanted the initial advance above my idle speed of 12-1400rpm, and the final advance below 3500rpm which is below where I will be using full throttle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.