Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recent Carb Conv. now draingin battery...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike D.
Meet a retired woman this past weekend with nice '75 2.0 that she bought new, very original car, except for those carbs dry.gif She recently, 3-4 weeks ago, had dual webbers put on when a so-called "Porsche" ar15.gif mechanic told her the FI parts needed to fix her car were "no longer available". I told her I wish I met her before this mechanic did. Oh well, she doesn't seem to mind the carbs sense she no longer has to smog, and she says she only gets it out once or twice a month anyway. Only thing is that now with carbs she says the battery drains dead in a few days if she doesn't go out and start it every day. This was not happening before with FI.

Is there anything that would obvious when removing the FI harness that would cause the slow drain on the battery? Anything that maybe needs to be looped, or capped?

I didn't have time to look over the car this weekend but will next weekend. I'll take the wire diagram with me. But if anyone can think of something let me know.

-Mike D.
Allan
How old is the battery?
SLITS
Ask her if she hears buzzing or clicking, like the fuel pump is constantly running.

If he used the stock fuel pump with a pressure regulator to bring the pressure down, well he coulda wired it to run constantly (if he was a jerk mechanic).
So.Cal.914

Test to see how much of an amp draw there is at the battery
when the key is off and the 914 is at rest. If it has no constant
draws, like a radio or an amp most likely it is a battery problem.
rhodyguy
next time you see her car, check out how the mechanic powered the pump. if you really want to WOW her, take along a piece of wire, as shown in andy's, pump powering for carbs, thread in the classic section. i wonder if he powered it off the coil or just ran a long wire from the fuse panel to the pump.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.