Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn key, no turn over?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rpmmaxxed
What are my choices?

Car started, I drove for 2 miles, parked it, attempted to restart, and it wouldnt turn over, not even attempt. Just dead. Battery I THINK is fine, but I will check voltage...

Had to bumpstart twice...

lapuwali
Discussed very recently. If everything works except the starter itself, then first try to get the starter to work by taking a big screwdriver and touch it across the solenoid terminals (big red wire and smaller yellow wire). Car out of gear...If the starter turns, then it's most likely the ignition switch has died. If it doesn't, then your starter or your solenoid have packed up.
jsteele22

I agree that the ignition switch is a likely culprit. Good place to start sleuthing.

It sounds like heat is _not_ an issue, but when these starters get really warm, they act exactly that way : no sound at all. Solution to that one is to bump start, whack the starter w/ a BFH, let it cool way down, or get a new starter.

If the engine does in fact run when you bump start it, then it's not a fuse to the ECU. I once had an issue w/ an exposed wire in the engine bay. Sometimes it would burn out the fuse, sometimes not. A real PITA to track down. I finally located it by replacing the fuse (4th time or so) and noticing a righteous shower of sparks coming from under the intake plenum when I revved the engine by hand. Cracked wire on the IAC valve contacting ground.

Regardless of what your particular problem is, now would be a good time to go through your wiring and make sure nothing is exposed, shorted, corroded or disconnected. You might want to gently disconnect/reconnect any connectors that look corroded or crusty. Electrical problems are some of the hardest to track down, but if you're methodical and persistent you'll find it sooner or later.
ventilator01
I had the same problem, it was the ignition switch, when mine did it the key was not returning from the full starting position on its on, all the lights worked on dash, but nothing happened when I turned key. The pelican parts tech article made it easy to replace.
steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.